• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW loses CHP Contract

I see the outfit that is selling them is in IDAHO. Wouldn't it have been better to buy from a dealer in CA? Might help us out.

I see the outfit that is selling them is in IDAHO. Wouldn't it have been better to buy from a dealer in CA? Might help us out.

That's OK, some California dealers will get to pre-deliver them and do the service work. Sales to law enforcement agencies generally are at close to actual dealer invoice or below with some factory assistance. I'm sure Kawasaki is very happy to have the CHP on their machines again.

Not surprising. With states strapped for cash, getting an equivalent machine for $2K cheaper seems like the prudent thing to do.

Not your daddys (or should I say Ponch & Johns?) Kawasaki

I would imagine that the cost per mile is going to be noticably lower with the Kaws over the BMWs too.

This thread is being moved to the Motorrad forum since it isn't Oilhead specific.

Please hang on as it scoots over.. :bolt

Not surprising. With states strapped for cash, getting an equivalent machine for $2K cheaper seems like the prudent thing to do.
Seems to me the prudent thing to do would be to use the bikes they already have rather than buy new ones. That would save even more money.

--chiba

Seems to me the prudent thing to do would be to use the bikes they already have rather than buy new ones. That would save even more money.

--chiba

I'm sure the officers riding them wouldn't think it was such a great idea. :dunno

Most states have a replacement plan in place. At some point, maintenance becomes more expensive and the bikes less reliable.

But I just ride them so what do I know. :laugh

Last edited:
I'm sure the officers riding them wouldn't think it was such a great idea. :dunno

Most states have a replacement plan in place. At some point, maintenance becomes more expensive and the bikes more reliable.

But I just ride them so what do I know. :laugh

How does the maintenance become more expensive if the bikes become more reliable ?

interestingly, beaudry motorsports is a BMW dealer, too!

ian

I remember doing some reading when CA went to BMWs.
- Not all BMW dealers are created equal. IIRC only certain dealers work within the BMW Police MC program for bidding and supplying.
- Any dealer can service. WA had BMWs in 2003. Some of them were serviced in Oregon.
- CHP does its own maintenance. Its mechanics are certified by the manufacturers that supply them. Therefore it does not make any difference to them where the supplying dealer is located.

I remember doing some reading when CA went to BMWs.
- Not all BMW dealers are created equal. IIRC only certain dealers work within the BMW Police MC program for bidding and supplying.
- Any dealer can service. WA had BMWs in 2003. Some of them were serviced in Oregon.
- CHP does its own maintenance. Its mechanics are certified by the manufacturers that supply them. Therefore it does not make any difference to them where the supplying dealer is located.

Washington State Patrol Troopers ride both R1150RTPs and R1200RTPs. They are given a stipend to cover maintenance. If they do it themselves, they get to keep the money. If they find an independent mechanic to do it cheaply, they keep the difference, and if they take it to a dealership, they likely don't have much left over when they're done.

My independent BMW mechanic always has three or four WSP RTPs in the shop at any given time. I love seeing my RTP next to "real" RTPs, and I enjoy comparing and contrasting the subtle and not so subtle differences between the bikes.

Having worked for a city goverment, purchasing contracts typically go to lowest bidder regardless of location unless the bid is tightly written...for a while, we had to buy all truck chassis in Texas. Our equipment mounted on the trucks came from Indiana, Alabama and Texas to name a few.

Back