• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

F800GS or R1200GS?

STANTONBARBAS

I am going to be in the market soon to buy a used GS bike. I don't plan to do much off road riding, but i do want to do some long range riding when nature calls. I am a taller dude, and have sat on the bikes enough to know my legs reach the ground. I plan to have the big boxes on, crash bars, skid plate ect....

But, i have heard whispers that the F800GS is a better purchase. For a dude that is 6'1" and 230lbs, would a F8GS be better? or the 1200?

If it helps, i probably will want a bike between 2005-09. Most of the time, it will be a daily around town bike. But when i want to go to the mountains to ride, i want something that will be comfortable.

Or, are they about the same as far as what i am asking? not so much power, but comfort and distance.

Thanks guys/gals!

I love my R1200GS! it is VERY comfortable, especial for long distances. 1000 miles a day- no problem! For tall guys 1200GS Adventure is a good option
good luck!

Both are good bikes. A nod to the 800 with that taller front wheel if you leave the pavement, but the 1200 can easily handle dirt roads and trails as long as they aren't hero trails. Both will handle cross country trips, with a firm nod to the 1200 for the comfort factor, ability to haul cargo, and electrical power for aux lighting, Gerbings, etc.

I'm 5-10 with a 30" inseam and can handle the GSA with ease.

While I love the boxers my choice would be the F800 after having my F800ST. The engine is dang near a perfect motorcycle engine and the seating position on the GS model is awesome. I just wish they'd put cruise on it lol. The only thing that draws me to the big papa GS is shaft drive.

Last edited:
Owned both at the same time. Sold the 800GS after two 400 mile rides. 12GS is much better for longer rides.

I had an F800S, now have an R1200S. The R's have a much better suspension, and more grunt for power. The braking is level too, on the F, it's not!

if you are not interested in off-road, dirt-road, gravel-road, forest-unmantained road... then by all means go for the 1200... though the 1200 can be go more places then the average rider would think... the 800 would do some of the crazy stuff better...

if you are not thinking of the crazy stuff than this is a waisted conversation... take the big bike and have fun in comfort.

The R1200GS is a great bike!!!!! just like most people don't use pickups to their fullest potential doesn't mean that they shouldn't drive a pickup if it fits their lifestyle...

Ride on...

I test rode the F800GS the other day and found the throttle to be very twitchy. I don't know if it is a light flywheel or the fuel injection. I couldn't imagine trying to control rear wheel spin on a loose surface. I wasn't overwhelmed by the handling, not nearly as neutral as the 1200GS, which I can't afford, so.......... I bought a 1989 R100GS. Get what makes you happy.

my 2009 F8 has a twitchy throttle (they all do that) until i figured out that it really wants a low wrist to start off, and then just pay attention to its nature. i rarely even notice it now.
it's mostly the FI setup.

For on-road, long distance riding, the 1200GS is perfect.

May I add that you may not *think* you want to go off road now but I know many GS riders (including myself) who thought the same thing. But once you've gotten the taste of it, it can be addictive! Off road can mean many different things from easy fire roads to nasty single track.

The F800 is too tall for me. I no longer have my 650GS but I have a 1200GS and a KLR650. If I am travelling, the 1200GS is my choice as it truly will go anywhere, on or off road. However, if we are out to play in the dirt, I choose the KLR because it is smaller and lighter.

No contest, with your size the 1200. Sit on them both and you'll find that the 1200 just fits. My inseam limits my choice of bike, even though its 30 1/2 " its just too short with a loaded bike, 2 up.

800 vs 1200

I have a 1200GSA. I recently attended the RawHyde Adventure training facitilty in Castaic, CA. Highly recommended! I rented a 1200GSA as I live in Michigan and couldn't ride my bike to CA. I rode in the desert, 2 track, single track, gravel, sand and hills. Those in the group who rode the 700 and 800's were told by the coaches that their bikes "needed" more clutch/throttle 'feathering' for control vs the 1200. I'm told due to the 1200's lower torque (or is that higher torque!!). I am NOT a professional and am only offering my $0.02 worth, but my 1200GSA required no fussing with clutch and throttle to hill climb, cross streams, etc. The gearing is lower and my bike and I had NO problems with the hills, etc... The bike honestly made me look good! :)

I am sure anything the 800 could do, the 1200GSA can do easier (ok, maybe not righting a downed 1200)! I'm told that....Torque is YOUR friend.

I'm 6' 5" with a 38" inseam. So the GSA was really made for me!!!

Choices:)

You put the right tires on either of these bikes and go anywhere. The 800 is a really better dirt bike, less a grand tourer but will... add farkles, lots of 'em to get comfy. The 1200 is a giant dirt bike, with rider talent added, will go anywhere with right tires and tourer extrordinaire, cannot be beat. My GSA1200 does all that. Tires make a huge difference in what you do with bike. 50/50 tires are probably best as in HeidenausK60s. Randy

... Those in the group who rode the 700 and 800's were told by the coaches that their bikes "needed" more clutch/throttle 'feathering' for control vs the 1200...

Maybe 'can tolerate more' was the origin of that?

I am sure anything the 800 could do, the 1200GSA can do easier

The 800 is lighter, narrower, has a bigger front wheel and more suspension travel, easier to change the gearing... why do you think the 1200 must be better?

Maybe 'can tolerate more' was the origin of that?

The 800 is lighter, narrower, has a bigger front wheel and more suspension travel, easier to change the gearing... why do you think the 1200 must be better?

because it's BIGGER, and in 'merica, we all know that bigger is automatically better.

yeah, right.

try this on your 1200GS- only 1 gallon of fuel left, and 55 miles to the next gas stop. The 800 gets there with a few miles to spare, the 1200 gets there after being pushed, trailered or towed the last 5-10 miles

The new wet head is certainly a better bike than the F800GS. It has much more features making the bike safer (much more power too).

The new wet head is certainly a better bike than the F800GS. It has much more features making the bike safer (much more power too).

True, but it's gonna be pretty tough to find a used wethead, I suspect (which is what the OP is seeking).
I would hope that at close to 1.5-2x the price of the F8 that the new R12 is a better overall bike. We'll have to wait to see if it's a better in the dirt.

Back