• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

JC Whitney

podsobinski

I have been riding DR's for 20 years now and presently I have an 07 650. I use it for dual sport/adventure riding but also for work and shopping etc. around town. I hated to pay the big $$$$ for a GIVI or the like since I would take it off during my dirt rides. Well somebody told me to give JC Whitney a try. I did and $90 later including plate mount I got it and installed it on my rack. It fit perfect, is a perfect size and really seems well made, at least as good as my $350 GIVI on my GSA. It locks to the plate and locks the lid. I couldn't be more happy with it especially the price! I think it is made by a major manufacturer, any ideas?

I have been riding DR's for 20 years now and presently I have an 07 650. I use it for dual sport/adventure riding but also for work and shopping etc. around town. I hated to pay the big $$$$ for a GIVI or the like since I would take it off during my dirt rides. Well somebody told me to give JC Whitney a try. I did and $90 later including plate mount I got it and installed it on my rack. It fit perfect, is a perfect size and really seems well made, at least as good as my $350 GIVI on my GSA. It locks to the plate and locks the lid. I couldn't be more happy with it especially the price! I think it is made by a major manufacturer, any ideas?

Not positive about the manufacturer, but I agree - sure do resemble GIVI, though I believe they are made by Coocase MC Trunks.

My son has run the very trunk you bought on his Honda ST1300 for two years, and it's still going strong.

For Christmas, we actually (OK - Santa) got him a spare one from JC Whitney.

Had a good experience - trunk got damaged in shipping, but we were outside the customary 30 days since purchase, before he unwrapped it, so I wasn't hopeful.

I called up JC Whitney and learned they has switched to a One-Year Return Policy. I didn't even need a receipt - they just looked up my purchase in the computer.

Sent back the old trunk (they paid the postage) and they have since shipped me a replacement - in perfect condition. It now just sits patiently in the basement, until needed on his ST. :wave

Last edited:
Good customer service

That is good to know. Maybe it is durable enough to handle some dirt riding. I will or might put it to the test in Moab this spring. Now alls they need is a good sticker! All that and less then half the cost of a name brand, how often does that happen?

I've had mine for a couple years now. It was $49.95 at the time with free shipping. What a deal!

330219692_2azdS-M.jpg

John

Many guys on the advrider site have been raving about these cases. At $50, looks like a good deal to me.

It has got to be a name brand

I remember the old (40 years ago) plastic travel trunks. They were junk and didn't handle water well, crummy hinges, losey locks and mounting hardware. That is what I was kind of expecting for $90 mounting hardware, case and shipping. Honestly it is as good as the GIVI on the GSA. I really think a major manufacturer made the thing.

And if you are in the area on saturdays they open the bargain room.It is full of stuff that has been returned.They don't restock it they just mark it down and put it in the back room.Buddy of mine got a gel pad for 20 dollars on our last trip up there. Ed

Sears has mc trunks

Product images may vary from actual product appearance.$32.49 - $42.49MATTE BLACK TRAVEL TRUNKS

In Stock-Standard ground shipping only.
When will it arrive? $32.49 - $42.49

Ship

Ship OverviewOptionsGLOSS BLACK MEDIUM SIZE TRAVEL TRUNK
#1 Selling Motorcycle Trunks in America!
SAVE OVER $100! When compared to others at $194.99!
You Won't Find This Trunk Priced Lower Anywhere!

Easy to detach-trunk can be locked, unlocked and removed from mounting plate with only one key! (Comes with 2 keys) * Aerodynamically designed of heavy-duty ABS black plastic
Built-in backrest pad
Big enough to hold one full-face helmet
Mounts to almost any luggage rack
Includes, new and improved mounting plate and brackets. We have improved our brackets for more secure and stable mounting on the bike.The most popular touring trunk! Wide center band doubles as an easy-grip handle. Dimensions: 17-1/2"W x 15"L x 11"H or 31 liters of luggage capacity. Mounting plate dimensions: 11"W x 9"L x 1"H.

http://auto.sears.com/MATTE-BLACK-TRAVEL-TRUNKS/Product.htm?catalogId=10624&N=600025909&productId=2022700

I have the $50 eBay version and it works well for me(no water or dust intrusion)-even if it is made in China. I have it bolted to a Peterson luggage plate with rubber in between.I put an MOA sticker over the Chinese logo on the top and thus it is now Kosher for the in crowd.:thumb

I have one from JC Whitney, too. Works great on my Reynolds Rack. It does fit a full face helment, but there isn't much room to spare, so if you are carrying some extra junk, you gotta make room for the helmet.

The lock won't deter someone who really wants in there; it's pretty flimsy.

But hey! For under $100 including shipping? Not bad at all!

And that Iron Cross sticker? Makes my K look B-A-D A-$-$!!!

Attachments

• BMW_Rally_2009 045.JPG
    BMW_Rally_2009 045.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
I have one from JC Whitney, too. Works great on my Reynolds Rack. It does fit a full face helment, but there isn't much room to spare, so if you are carrying some extra junk, you gotta make room for the helmet.

The lock won't deter someone who really wants in there; it's pretty flimsy.

But hey! For under $100 including shipping? Not bad at all!

And that Iron Cross sticker? Makes my K look B-A-D A-$-$!!!

Kudos to the Iron Cross - it's so German!

My son mounted his on a Honda ST1300, so we glued a Marine Corps rubber emblem over it - still looks good, but for us BMW guys - Iron Cross is cool!

Just ordered the Sears matt black large trunk last night for my K75. $58 including tax and shipping. Appreciate the heads up on that deal. Might not be a top line trunk but it doesn't cost $200 or more either. :dance

Last edited:
Back