• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS Giant - clearing up misconceptions

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
As a handful of people work tirelessly finalizing plans for the GS Giant competition, I though I'd clear up a few misconceptions.

The best rider in the GS Giant track competition does not necessarily win the title. This is a point based competition. First and foremost, it is designed to be fun for novice and experienced riders. You will see Puppy, Intermediate, and Big Dog classes on the track riding light, intermediate, and heavy bikes. In addition, there are PLENTY of other point earning opportunities including:
  • Adventure Detours
  • Gypsy Tour
  • Stop In's
  • GS BS opportunities
  • BS Shout Out opportunities
  • Volunteering
  • Posting on the forum(s) and Face Book
  • 4-Corners Ride
  • Participating in training opportunities

There is a fee for the Gypsy Tour however, all you have to do to participate in the other point opportunities is to register.

Our sponsors have been very generous with prizes which will be awarded for various efforts. As stated, this is designed to be fun for all, regardless of your skill level.

We are working to finish the score books and they will be distributed approximately two weeks prior to the rally. All point earning opportunites will be listed so you can pick and choose your options.

We welcome your thoughts and feedback so feel free to PM or post them here.

I would just like to say THANKS to everyone who is helping to get all this together. I wish I could do more scouting of trails and such but, will have to settle for volunteering during the events. :doh

I know a few guys that could probabley win on GS BS points alone.:laugh

I ask, "Is there any better way to spend a week?" I think NOT! This is going to be a blast.:dance

Ditto on the Big THANKS to all who have worked so diligently for me to win a new bike.:rocker See ya at the podium.

Ditto on the Big THANKS to all who have worked so diligently for me to win a new bike.:rocker See ya at the podium.

Aaaaahhh....not so fast!
Have you posted some pics, "liked" facebook, bribed a judge, or otherwise earned points yet? :stick

Thank You everyone.

My idea of a GS Giant is not the best rider in the world, the one that can win the International GS Challenge that BMW Motorrad International wants in print media, the cool pic of a factory clad rider with a wide open throttle flying across the horizon. But the true GS Giant to me is the best all rounder, the one that uses this model for what it was designed for; to see beyond "their" horizon, improve "their" skills and meet riders that are like "them" and maybe learn from each other because we all have gifts and experiences to share.

The innovation behind the GS Giant event is designed for the thinker, in this event you have to see how you can earn the most points by plotting a route, getting involved in "community", becoming a volunteer to build opportunity, and take advantage of free training offerings to build more confidence than when you left your drive way.

The trial event is designed with three skill levels so one has to think which is the best route to be the best advantage to match your ability. The thinkers behind this concept come from broad ranges of experience. One of the designers of Penton heritage belonging to a riding community in Eurpoe and they would go to weekend jaunts to find a place to do a skill to learn and perfect. If people wanted to they could, if not they didn't have too but were still part of the group. The other track designer has experince based on other MOA rallies, global GS Communities and social networking to keep us informed in ON, his past is dirt rooted in the Bultaco Matador legacy. Also Rawhyde and BMW Performance Center is involved to control the great riders they look for, to see if they are as good as billing......... and thinkers............and team players.

My past rally experience gave me the impression that GS events were a stage for the better riders, in most cases limited opportunities to learn from the best and not have an opportunity even to stop for a photograph. I can say a lot of it was because of the lack of volunteers to resources and I do cherish the heart pounding experiences. But I wanted to be part of something for the Dawgs of the world and I was lucky to be a local and have such a great team to be part of ...... so come join us. Lets take all our experience together, build upon the foundation when the seed was planted years ago, when GS events were a liability and in some cases for wayward children away from other storied Rally events........today the world is watching.

Christopher Dawe
GS Activities Co-Chair
Local Resource Chair

The Giant

Thanks for that information Chris. I support the direction you are headed and agree with your assessment. Life is not as much fun without others to share it. This year's GS-athon is an amazing list of great ideas. In looking at what is avaiable, there are too many things I want to do that are going on at the same time. I am already fretting about the stuff I am going to miss.:ha

This is going to be so much fun :thumb

Newstar question?

I leave the West Coast on July2, so do I have any opportunity to get the data book, points download for my ride across the USA? OR, maybe I have to stop at a library, campground, or hotel with comuter access to get mine? I can do that, but will have a lot of territory ate up by then. I know you're at it bigtime(THANKS), so here's to ya for all your efforts. I'll play as I can:), if Visian doesn't keep me hogtied:):):) Randy

Aaaaahhh....not so fast!
Have you posted some pics, "liked" facebook, bribed a judge, or otherwise earned points yet? :stick
Tracy - Yes to all but finding the judge to bribe. On the GS Giant Facebook page I am logged in as David Corl. Know any judges?:wow

I leave the West Coast on July2, so do I have any opportunity to get the data book, points download for my ride across the USA? OR, maybe I have to stop at a library, campground, or hotel with comuter access to get mine? I can do that, but will have a lot of territory ate up by then. I know you're at it bigtime(THANKS), so here's to ya for all your efforts. I'll play as I can:), if Visian doesn't keep me hogtied:):):) Randy

Polarbear - i will send you one in time. We are trying to finish up the book next week and distributed to those who already have registered.

The idea is that you can print this book out via Fedex Office Online and get a bound booklet or print it at home and get standard-sized sheets.

Ian

pssstttt... i would say that providing an Adventure Detour route through Arkansas would count for volunteer points... :stick

Thanks, Pal:

I registered a couple weeks ago now, so thanks a zillion:). I've sent the Arkanasas data twice now, guess you did not get it:(. Maybe google map the burb, OARK, Ark and maybe you can see it firsthand. Its an easy off the Intertstate 40 detour for many. Afraid I won't see it again, as I will be quite far South of that on the coast. Still have time for more suggestions? I have a million SW types I've ridden, but its late for ya, I know. Way out there for BIG bonus points would be BIG Bend State Park,TX offroad(Yes, State Park, not NP.), big points Organ Pipe NP.,AZ. nice offroad trail in the park, Ophir Pass in Colorado near Silverado(Great off road), Pikes Peak, the obvious:), my route and the Gulf Beaches of Texas, Louisiana:). NRim of the Grand Canyon, Tioga Pass of YosemiteNP in deep snows still, Bristle Pines is a favorite Iron Butt locale! and is or should be a nice point getter(s), A few more IF you don't have enough already to do! I smile. All the above are offroad opportunities, most moderate to difficult and some mentioned are of course way "Off The Beaten Path"for those willing to go FAR...Best to ya Ian, Randy:thumb:usa

I registered a couple weeks ago now, so thanks a zillion:). I've sent the Arkanasas data twice now, guess you did not get it:(. Maybe google map the burb, OARK, Ark and maybe you can see it firsthand.

no, didn't receive. i need some very specific roads... as mapping software rarely distinguishes paved and non. i do not have much experience riding in the area, and the Trans-Arkansas Trail on ADV just doesn't go in the right direction. I'd love to have something that starts in the west/central part of the state and winds up near Paducah, KY.

Still have time for more suggestions? I have a million SW types I've ridden, but its late for ya, I know.

we're good for the SW, assuming the fires in AZ didn't close the Apache Trail or points just east of there. i've checked the fire maps, and apparently not. Also, check out the Northstar Trail in NM.

Way out there for BIG bonus points would be BIG Bend State Park,TX offroad(Yes, State Park, not NP.), big points.

Two words: Indian Head. actually, not much off-pavement, but still an excellent Adventure Detour.

Organ Pipe NP.,AZ. nice offroad trail in the park, Ophir Pass in Colorado near Silverado(Great off road), Pikes Peak, the obvious:),

we'll add more AZ next year. we've got the Flat Tops and the River Road for CO, and the Foresthill Route for the Sierra... hope the snow melts in time.

All good stuff, but no hillbilly route through Arkansas!!!

Ian

Back