• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75 ABS brake system

Are ABS brakes on a K75 worth having?

• Not worth having or worth the trouble to keep working

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Living in a state that gets snow in the winter I activate the ABS in the car more than that in a week :) Same with the traction control.

It's a fair point. My state gets snow in the winter, but far away from me. :)

If I regularly drove on snow/ice, I'd want good traction control and more, not just ABS. My BMW X3 was just magical on bad surfaces; snow, sand, gravel, whatever; it just kept going.

Another good test in a car is to pull the right side wheels off onto a gravel shoulder (leaving the left two on the pavement) then jump on the brakes (emergency stop).
Your wheels will not lock up. It's interesting to walk back and look at your tracks in the gravel.

I do this "gravel test" on my '95 R-RS also (from about 30 mph) to intentionally activate the ABS. It is said that it is good to activate the system periodically to flush the brake fluid from
the little cylinders inside the ABS unit, and it gives you a good reference as to what it feels like when the ABS kicks in. I Also do this purposely on snow or ice with the car.

The downside that I see to it- is that it increases your stopping distance by about 2. As the ABS pulses, you effectively have your brakes on about 50% of the time
during that stop. Being that my bike has the earlier generation ABS and I'm unable to shut mine off, I have also tried placing a marker on the gravel shoulder and doing a panic
stop with the ABS engaged, and another using just enough brake to not engage the ABS. If you can do it successfully, you can stop in a much shorter distance without it engaged
than you can with it.

However, I will also admit to being very skeptical about ABS when I bought this bike (my first with ABS) but it has saved my bacon (or buttocks) a couple of times.

Ken

not just ABS. My BMW X3 was just magical on bad surfaces;.
You're right, adding some type of stability control on top of traction control really helps. Both of our cars have it and I can feel a big difference compared to the cars we had with just traction control.

Thanks to everyone for their responses and opinions. The 1995 K75S with ABS I had my eye on sold before I could get a chance. I will continue to look for a nice 1994 or 1995 K75S with ABS. I believe from the responses that the overwhelming opinion is that ABS is worth having on a K75 and just might save my butt one day.

Thanks,
Ed

Back