• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Parts prices !

jimfastcar

Doing some small wrenching on the RT and caused a small scratch :banghead
Not really noticeable, but I can see it.....
So I call Parts at the local Dealer and Titan Silver is available as a touch up kit of paint stick and clearcoat - $ 40 !!!
That is insane :bolt

I think Color-rite is $15.95. I just got a paint stick from Express Paint for my BMW car for lwss than 20.00 including shipping. However it doesn't come with a clear coat bottle.

And now we have to pay a 3 dollar shipping charge to our local dealer when they order from BMW Canada. Sad when the parts come up to 6 dollars. Back to shopping over the internet. At least when I pay for shipping I get it delivered to my door.

The issue of inflated prices in Canada has been around for over 20 years. With our dollar at or near record levels there is no use valid argument to support our "local dealer" anymore. I work for my money and chose where I want to spend it!

I ride on the cheap as much as I can. I would not pay 40 bucks for a touch up paint regardless of need, or want. Gotta be an alternative!

A silver Sharpie pen works on certain silver paints

clear acrylic fingernail polish also does wonders :whistle careful as some do contain Acetone

I have also used the Color-rite paint tubes mentioned from the auto parts store and been close.

You want to really talk high $$ parts...how about 30% OVER list from a large city dealer nearby. That's why it is hard to support the local guys at times:scratch I drive to the other smaller city a little further up the road or go online if I am not in a big hurry...

debate on...:type It's Saturday night!

oh I know about the scratches.
Two were on the bike I had delivered, one by the PO, and three when I tried to ratchet it and haul it home after a little FD discussion....

I am beginning to reconcile it is called Character!

oh I know about the scratches.
Two were on the bike I had delivered, one by the PO, and three when I tried to ratchet it and haul it home after a little FD discussion....

I am beginning to reconcile it is called Character!

Touch up paint is for rust prevention. Not matching the factory color is what adds character. :deal

Last time I checked BMW touch-up paint wasn't available in California for any price. It didn't meat the CARB standards for volatiles. I got a stick of something with a triumph logo on it which was close enough for dabbing on rock chips to keep the rust down.

If the cost were $2 it's still likely BMW would sell less than 100/year.

These are VERY low production bikes and it's no surprise costs of maintaining a spare parts system are consequently high.

BMW isn't the WalMart of motorcycle shops.

I do not mind spending the money on parts. I just replaced a knee pad and the center stand on my RT. I have 80,000 miles and it and expect to get another 100,000 out of it. So spending a couple hundred to keep it going is a good thing. It is less expensive than a knew one.

If the cost were $2 it's still likely BMW would sell less than 100/year.

These are VERY low production bikes and it's no surprise costs of maintaining a spare parts system are consequently high.

BMW isn't the WalMart of motorcycle shops.

Actually, the part quoted was the paint for the cars !!! They sell a lot of silver BMW cars......

parts prices for BMWs have gone beyond stupid.

Parts prices for anything you can fix have become astronomical. I used to be able to make some decent money on electronic repair parts, but in the last few years my cost has gone up so much I can hardly mark them up at all.

I'm talking about manufacturer-specific parts. They've decided they should get all the profit.

The exception are K-bike valve shims. At $4 each, they are ridiculously cheap. I used to pay $8 for Suzuki shims 20 years ago. I hear most Japanese shims are quite expensive.

Yes, BMW parts are expensive, but so are everybody else's.

Scott

Back