• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

DOWCO motorcycle covers

R1100RT

R1100 RT
Just a post to encourage others to buy DOWCO motorcycle covers.
I had the best warranty experience with them and see value in the product.
I purchased a DOWCO Guardian Weatherall Plus motorcycle cover six years ago and just received a new cover from them as part of their lifetime warranty.

I commute to work daily for all the days in a year that ice or snow isn't on the roads.
I cover the motorcycle each day. I had been buying nylon covers every two years. The DOWCO material was still o.k. The strap can off and the vinyl vent cover had cracked. DOWCO replaced the cover with an easy warranty process.

http://www.dowcopowersports.com/

Last edited:
Same thing here-they give you a new one! Made in China but still hard to go wrong on a hvy weight cover like these!

I have had one that I use about four days a week, for the past four years. It is looking a little dirty, some of the soft inner-lining has frayed a bit, but it still works very well and the elastic if is in great shape.
There are two other guys who use much cheaper covers and they always have problems: ripping, not rain proof, no vents, and they actually blow off there bikes all the time because the elastic is so poor. I just smile and say "Dowco."
Not everything made in China is poor quality.

I like stuff made specifcally for the actual bike I own.

BMW's covers are good quality.

They aren't model specific...

BMW K1600GTL|K1600GT|R1200RT|R1150RT|R1100RT Motorcycle Cover
[71602212962]

price$125.00

A bit pricey...but it does have BMW stamped on it...made in China?:whistle

:bolt

I had one of the Dowco covers with the alarm built into it. It actually saved my bike from being stolen one time. This is when I lived in Marina Del Rey, CA in an apartment building. I had the bike stored in a fairly secured underground garage. Do to the high motorcycle thefts in the area I put rotor locks on front and rear rotors and the cover had the alarm activated. It's a very loud box with an ear piercing siren in it. The siren box goes into a sewn in pocket inside the cover. The siren them clips to your bike and has a grenade pin like connector. If someone trys to pull up the cover to get a peak without disconnecting the alarm they will basically get their ears blown off.

In my case the started with the rear of the bike. They cut off one of the rotor locks. When they went to the front and picked up the cover to get to the front rotor lock they set off the alarm.. They took off and left the bike there. The cover paid for itself in just that one attempted theft. The quality of the cover is excellent too.

They aren't model specific...

BMW K1600GTL|K1600GT|R1200RT|R1150RT|R1100RT Motorcycle Cover
[71602212962]

price$125.00

A bit pricey...but it does have BMW stamped on it...made in China?:whistle

:bolt

It' also has provision for configuring the cover for whether or not the rear topbox is installed. It has heat shielding where there are boxer cylinders. As I noted, it's made for the bike.

Dowco makes a good product. Their warranty has paid for the cover several times over.

I purchased Dowco half-cover years ago and it has held up quite well...even works with the top case. Its also served as an emergency shelter during a sudden and terrific rain storm.

I'm probably mistaken but something in my memory sticks out that BMW covers and Dowco covers come from the same factory? I'm probably just making that up, knowing how addle-pated I can be at times. Anyway, I've used both and both were great. Most recently my former GS lived under a BMW cover, the K12LT size which was necessary because of how huge the Micatech cases were. Price wasn't bad, only about $60. Had to add socks full of mothballs to keep the neighbourhood kittehs out from under the cover...you don't want to know what kitteh-pee burning off a header smells like!

Kudos to the dealer too for letting me unpack all their covers to try them in their showroom.

I have an indoor Dow Canvas cover, the type that is a heavy duty black cotton? with a silver heat resistant strip across the bottom.

Not in use daily, but used during winter storage. It is over 20 years old and still looks new.

I also have a couple of their nylon helmet bags that have what looks like a thick layer of sheep skin inside. I store my helmets in them and also use them when I head overseas. They still look like new...also over 20 years old.

Reply to djbock re 1100RT cover from Dowco

I'm brand new to the forum, and pretty new to my '99 RT1100-p (police). After lots of research I just ordered the Dowco 50003-02 Guardian WeatherAll Plus. It's supposed to be the right one. Will report in a few days. I'm concerned about space for the police fairing, bags and rear box. BTW, it's considerably cheaper from Amazon than direct from Dowco.

I've been using Dowco covsrs for years; i commute daily and parkbmy bike at a train station. The cover protects it from sun, rain tree crap, bird crap and human interest. They are great imho, well made, fit the bike and the new versions with he rear zipper makes it stupid easy to put on and take off.

Back