• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Nuvi 550 Sound Hack?

Theo

Touring Panpsychist
I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 550 for the last two years and am very pleased with the performance and accuracy of the unit. It has a bright screen, long battery life, IPX7 waterproof, and is just the right size for my bikes.

However...

Unlike the Zumos, it does not have a line-out or bluetooth capability; it uses the internal speaker only. I haven't necessarily found this to be a BIG problem, but I was wondering if their is some way to hack the device to provide a line-out or bluetooth connection. Seems like I heard of something a year or two ago, but web searches have failed to give me a lead.

Anyone heard of such a thing?

TIA

I have a Nuvi 500 and one of the main reasons I bought it was because of the IPX7 rating. I think you could kiss that goodbye if you rigged a headphone jack into the housing. Plus, I doubt your warranty would still be in effect should it break.

I have a Nuvi 500 and one of the main reasons I bought it was because of the IPX7 rating. I think you could kiss that goodbye if you rigged a headphone jack into the housing. Plus, I doubt your warranty would still be in effect should it break.

Exactly.

That two-hour ride in torrential rain proved how watertight the Nuvi 550 is (and how bad the crotch-seam in my rain pants needs mending). Not sure I'd want to compromise that (the Nuvi)...or use a plastic bag (on the Nuvi). :D

However, I'm thinking that the older Nuvi 500 for the car might not be a bad candidate!

P.S. cscatola -- are you disappointed that Stig was revealed???

Which "reveal" do you mean? I liked the Schumacher "reveal," but I've read that Clarkson announced last month that there will be a new Stig since it's pretty much confirmed that the white Stig was Ben Collins.

As far as the GPS is concerned, I think the only viable answer to your question is "Zumo."

Back