• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

hello,
my name is christian, i juts joined BMWMOA. i just got my first BMW, a 1997 R1100GS. it's way nicer than the 84 magna or 88ninja i had before. i'm about to depart for a cross country trip, destinatiion california, then onto central and south america if i think it's doable.
this is my first posting on this site.
there's a ton of stuff to learn.
see you on the road!!!

Great to have you in the club Christian. :clap

We will be looking forward to hearing about all your adventures on your new bike; and I am sure will really love traveling on it.

Be safe on your trip and have a wonderful time.:p

Hey Everyone,

My name's Tom Moran. I teach American Sign Language, am an avid photographer, and really love to ride my BMW.

I'm still pretty new here, coming back to riding after 15 years away. Just bought an '04 RT and just broke 3,000. My dad bought me an XR75 when I was about 10. At 26 I bought a Honda Sabre with fairing and was adopted by Jay Cannon and the South Coast BMW Riders. Had too much fun with them and they were very hospitable to their token Japanese bike guy. We rode to SF, the 49er Rally, Mexico, AZ, just about everywhere. We rode and camped and laughed and drank beer. Really great bunch of guys. Life took a left turn and I had to sell the bike. Went to college for 10 years, was broke, and lived in one bedroom apartments. No room for a bike in that lifestyle.

Got married almost three years ago to my wonderful wife, Israel. We had a lot of trouble deciding where to settle, her home or mine. She finally convinced me to move to hers in Bakersfield, CA. I agreed, but only if she agreed to let me buy a beemer. A deal was struck and here I am!

There was never any doubt that I would by a BMW, or that it would be an RT. (OK, I looked at LTs and R1150Ss, but it was always the RT.) I actually bought it without ever having ridden one. As I drove it out of Irv Seaver's parking lot, I knew I had made the right decision. I'm enjoying it beyond all reason, and my wife seems to really enjoy riding pillion.

Thanks to this web forum I found a BMW rider's club (#80) right here in Bakersfield. They are good group, and are just as nice and welcoming as I remember the South Coast group to be.

Here's a photo from our first trip to the coast--taken not too far outside of Guadalupe.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• DSCN4372.jpg
    DSCN4372.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 682
Hey Tom! You should watch for our own Gerg, who's riding around Bakersfield on his GS or his 950 Adventure.

Dave:

I'm looking for Gerg, have heard about him but haven't found him yet. I met a Greg (another blue RT) but not the same guy. Maybe I'll find him at a meeting in the near future. Bfield is a fairly small town--he can run but he can't hide.

Ian:

Yours is a beaut, too. Sorry to read about what happend to your previous grey. While perusing the brochure and website, I was convinced that blue was the only color I could rule out for sure. I just couldn't decide btwn red, silver, or grey. When I got to the showroom, blue was clearly the only choice. Brian Bell--the salesperson--insisted on wheeling it out into the sun and I was sold. And it was the only blue they had in stock with the cylinder head guards already installed. How could I say no?

Hope to encounter both of you on the road one day.

I'm off on a road trip tomorrow. Not sure exactly where but South is looking
pretty attractive :thumb

Just putting a couple of things in the bags now...

ian

Greetings

I'm Bob Marshall, currently residing in Portland Oregon. I have been lurking around the forum for about a month and am having some fun with it. I have been nuts for bikes for about 45 of my 50 years. I currently have a silver 1984 R100 "S" and am in the process of restoring a black 1982 R100RS. Both bikes stray from stock for the sake of rideability.
I have owned and sold
a Kawasiki 100 (10 speed)
A Honda 350 Thumper (on which I toured the west coast to the Yucatan peninsula several decades ago)
A Yamaha SR 500
A 1971 R75/5 (I saw it a couple of months ago and it has been neglected)
A Yamaha "Euro-Virago" (really a handsome bike)
A BMW R1100RT.
I am convinced that the giggles per mile are as good on the airheads as with the faster, plusher (?better?) oil heads but I am willing to give them another chance.
In Oregon it is possible to ride year round and I do. One December ride on the R1100RT I had the warmth accessories going, drove into some fog, looked over and saw vehicles plowing into the I-5 median because the roads were covered with ice! My rear tire spun, but it tracked and stayed upright.
I think I took the rest of that month off.
I went to Redmond and Spokane and I am a Big fan of frothy, hoppy beverages. I am a landscape architect. Im' married with a boy who is a senior in college. When the black bike is done this summer I plan to put him on the silver bike and tour the rockies. I am Opiniated, liberal and frequently put my foot in my mouth. From the postings I have read this is par for the coarse (sp). I don't have a photo of me, but here is one of the silver bike.
See Ya ;)

Attachments

• r100-beach.JPG
    r100-beach.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 658
Bob_M said:
I'm Bob Marshall,...

I have owned and sold a Kawasiki 100 (10 speed)

Did you own a Kawasaki Trail Boss? Cool!

I had one of those... absolutely hammered that poor thing into the ground.

Man, I wish I never sold it. It would have been a cool restoration project.

Ian

OK, I'll give it a go. After spending the last hour and a half reading all the bios I feel as though I know most of you better than some of my relatives But then, we are all brothers and sisters right? My name is Randy Graham. I am 46 yrs old (for another month anyway). I'm from South Mississippi but I live in Anchorage, Alaska now. I have live here for 14 years. Yes it's cold and snowy here this time of year but, I will make up for it in the Summer, with 20 hours of daylight and lots of riding time! I'm married (again) this time for 12 years and counting, great women that Carole is. She lets me be me and keeps me on track during this mid life thing.

Bought my first BMW this past June, a '04 1150GS....I'm speechless...To tell you...My '01 RoadKing is in the garage with a cover on it and the GS has center stage. I am in the process of putting personal touches on it. Guess which one I'll be riding in the Spring? And to think, Spring is only a short 5 months away. The GS is my 12th bike. I starting riding at the amazing age of 11 on a '69 Honda Trail 90. You know...the step through frame. It was the beginning of a romance that has been a part of my life for 36 years. There has been a couple "no bike" years but that's another story. Yes sir, Hondas, Yamaha, Harleys and now a BMW...Man was I wrong about them BMWs. And this forum?...2nd to none. I am glad that I found this place. Oh, I almost forgot, this is suppose to be about me, I work in the oil industry, in sales. So, talking comes easy for me. 2 grown sons with kids of their own. Three grown step kids with kids also.

Life is pretty good for me and the family. I changed jobs 2 months ago and the new one is going to give me even more riding time this Summer. Yep, I left a company that I had been with for 26 years and lived in three different states. Hmmm, thats strange, 26 years, one company, three states and no BMW. There's got to be a connection there somewhere. I'll get back with you later on that one when I figure it all out.

Again, I'm glad I found yall.

ohhh, ohhh (raising hand like a good sweathog should)

hi, my name is peter chuen and i live in ct. i was born and raised in bklyn, thus bklyn pete ( a few people have gotten confused about that in other boards :dunno ) i am 57 and i have twins that are finishing their senior year in collage :twirl i ride a 1999 r1100rt (i'm guessing the bmw is implied). this is my third bmw, the first bought in oct of 1976, it was a 77' 100/7 outfitted with a vetter fairing, wixom bags and a rack factory rack. sold that bike in 1983 when the twins were born (try telling the wife that you just want to go for a ride with the boys, with twins in the house). fast forward to 1998, the kids are in h.s. and don't need dad as much, soooo i get a 98' 1100r. that year i did the msf course and vowed in 1999 i would go to the bmwmoa rally whereever it may be. that was the year they had the rhinebeck ny rally. two hours backroads from where i live, yuck. i then went to the beemers in the bluegrass rally in kentucky. coming back from that rally, i decided i needed a bike with a fairing on it. that oct i picked up a leftover 1100rt and it now has 75k miles on it. i've been a moa member since 1998, but my number is an older number from my 100/7 days. it was a pleasant surprise that they still kept records of my old number after all these years. i am also an ama and iba member. i love riding my bike long distances. i've dont the three flags and this last year i toured the pacific northwest with members of the aol motorcycle boards. i did 8200 miles in two weeks, two days and loved ever minute of the trip. i've learned to ride long distances in a very short amount of time since i only get two weeks vacation. i'm looking forward to learning more about bmw motorcycles from this board and meeting and riding with some of you.

pete

http://hometown.aol.com/bklyn pete/myhomepage/profile.html

i tried to upload a pic, but my file was too big (never been told that before :p ) it's an older pic at the home of an moa ambassador in detroit. i no longer have the cb, the seat is a tan rick mayer seat now, and the wheels are powder coated satin gold.

petmotor.jpg

Neat color, man.

KBasa said:
petmotor.jpg

Neat color, man.

thanks, it seems this color was not even in the catalog here in the states. the two greens were boston and glacier. i've never been able to find out the name of this color. it seems this color was sent to canada and europe. i bought it right off the showroom floor at westchester bmw in while plains ny. they are a factory store. even they couldn't tell me the name of the color. :dunno

well been hanging around a while with only a few posts, guess it's time to introduce myself. I bought my 04 RT just about 1 year ago this month. Fell in love with it and truly enjoy spending time on it. logged 12,300 mi. this summer and attended 2 events. Spent last 15 years riding H.D.'s boy what a differance. Biggest differance when you show up at an event there are no motorcycle trailers to fight with for parking spots. Spent to many nights in Sturgis S.D. hotels and could not park. The R.T sure makes one appreciate a crooked road. Looking forward to another great season. :clap

New BMW MOA member and BMW Owner

Hello, IÔÇÖm Andy Nunn the proud new owner of a Light Yellow Metallic 2005 K1200LT that I have dubbed ÔÇ£Golden-Eye.ÔÇØ This is the 20th motorcycle I have owned and my first BMW. The longest I have had any bike is 5.5 years and that was my 1998 Honda Valkyrie. In just a week of ownership I believe that the LT will be with me much much longer, unless I have one of the odd ones that becomes a maintenance/repair nightmare.

I am 54 years old married with two children. I work for the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical System as a Computer LAN manager. I retire December 30th after 35 years. Originally from Texas, primarily the San Antonio area, we have been in Omaha, Nebraska for the last 16.5 years. I am looking forward to doing a lot of long distance touring after retiring including the Ohio national rally. Also looking forward to hooking up with some local BMW riders.

I celebrated 40 years of active motorcycling last September. This is a list of the motorcycles I have owned. IÔÇÖm fuzzy on some of the actual year models of some of my first ones but the models are accurate.

1960 Sears Allstate 125
1965 Suzuki 120
1965 Cushman Trail bike
194? Harley Davidson WLA Trike
1968 Honda CL450
1973 Honda 500-4
1974 Suzuki GT 550
1977 Yamaha 750 Triple
1978 Honda Gold Wing 1000
1978 Harley Davidson Super Glide 1200
1978 Yamaha XS1100 Custom
1980 Volkswagen Trike
1980 Yamaha 650 Twin
1982 Suzuki GS1100
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
1978 Yamaha XS1100 Standards ( 2 ea.)
1998 Honda Valkyrie
2004 Victory Touring Cruiser
2005 BMW K1200LT

With any luck IÔÇÖll be able to add a few more before my riding days are over.

Back