• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

In your collective opinion

"The thing is, people's physical shapes and overall condition varies so much that there's no correct answer to the question. What works for one will not work for another, etc."

That is undoubtedly true, and it should be a clear signal to manufacturers that they need to design in adjustability into the controls and seating. Yet, few seem to give this critical aspect of the motorcycle much attention.
Another gripe I have: Research suggests that there may be a relationship between poorly designed saddles and prostate cancer. Bicyclists have saddles with a channel down the center to provide room for some anatomical features :whistle. I wonder why motorcycle seats do not have this feature.

Okay, now lets get on to the subject of vanishing center stands, or is that a rant for another thread?

I was told once by an industry insider ? That most motorcycles designed & intended for import to the US...were designed around a male, 5'10,175 lbs....Not sure if it is still so....frankly not sure if it was true then. This insider also said that they [motorcycles] were designed to be ridden without a windshield??

Amazingly, my K1200RS was the most comfortable BMW I've ever owned. The only BMW I didn't need an aftermarket seat. The only change, comfort wise, was a comfort windshield. I've had 3 GSes and they all had to have aftermarket seats. 100 miles max on the stock before my rear started complaining. The current RT isn't bad at all and I'm doing minor tweaks to try to live with the seat. I have an Alaska Leather seat pad on it now but I just got it back. More miles will tell.

Just for reference I'm 6'3" and about 205 lbs.

I'll echo others' comments and agree that this is probably subjective; weight, height, and other factors notwithstanding.
For me, I'd say my old R100RT (1988 model) was perhaps the most neutral in terms of a BMW riding position. I'm about 5'-8" (but leggy), roughly 150-160 lbs.

Franko,

Thanks a bunch!....and there seems to be a significant difference. My "R" compared to a 1200GS [compared to it because if I do buy new ? ]

seat height +2" , knee angle -12 degrees less bent, hip [my most discomfort] -18 degrees less crouched .

I'm no ergo engineer but those sound like ...as I said a significant difference ?!

Now I need to do some thinking...hummm...sell my Victory [it wasn't the answer i thought it would be] sell the LT ...& for now keep the "R" just cuz I wuv it.....:heart.....and perhaps shop for a GS ? I don't care for the overall seat height , but that can be lowered without changing the other angles. I won't go off road anyway so.......

Thanks again...Ron

Back