• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aftermarket exhaust systems

bob_m

My 82 RS has a little too much bark with the Luftmiester 2 into 1. I am looking at a new system. The Epco product is considerably less expensive than the Staintune. Does anyone know why? I believe they are both quality systems.

You might want to look at Moto-Bins for the Sito Exhaust replacements.

They look stock, well made a little more throaty than the originals.

Believe it or not, JC Whitney has EMGO's. Not sure if they are any good, but at $59.00 can one go wrong?

Link:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/emgo-universal-muffler/p2006470.jcwx?filterid=c14658d58297u0j1

I will need the entire system. Headers, crossovers, clamps and silencers. I want first quality stuff, and I am concerned about value, not necessarily cheapness. I know Epco and Staintune are very good, but wondered why the disparity in costs. Could one be $300 better than the other? I don't need polished stainless steel. Good chrome is good.

It is the stingy man who spends the most

I bought a new system for my '86 R80 from Rocky Point Cycle. Had a 2-into-1 Mac system
before that the 2nd owner installed. It was junk and about falling off from rust. Leaked everywhere
from the jury-rigged installation. Bought the oem-style twin piped system and it is a sweet and QUIET
addition. Love it.
Site is www.rockypointcycle.com. Stainless steel system. Beautiful.

Last edited:
sito for me

You might want to look at Moto-Bins for the Sito Exhaust replacements.

They look stock, well made a little more throaty than the originals.

totally agree with Darryl motobins ,is the way to go I have sito on my 1977 r100s/rs for about 10 years now,no problems,see recent photos in airhead pic site,they also sell stainless steel,english made keinan had them but didn't like the note "flat"also the guy who sells the rear sets, advertised on moa mag seem good value hope this assists, Jimmy

Don't know whether it helps, but I had Staintune slip ons on both my Ducs. They were some of the best made kit I've ever bought. Looked like they'd be good for the life of a BMW airhead.

I have the Keihans on my 81 R100RT. They are a stainless exhaust built to OEM specs. Same look, sound and fitment. I tried the EPCO's but fitment was a problem and they were louder but the finish was very nice. The welds were ground smooth and polished. They are now made off shore and not in Ohio.

Friends that have the Sito's like them. The JC Whitney EMGO's are made in the far east and will rust sooner then most other steel units. No experience with the Staintune's other then they are Australian made.

I bought a new system for my '86 R80 from Rocky Point Cycle. Had a 2-into-1 Mac system
before that the 2nd owner installed. It was junk and about falling off from rust. Leaked everywhere
from the jury-rigged installation. Bought the oem-style twin piped system and it is a sweet and QUIET
addition. Love it.
Site is www.rockypointcycle.com. Stainless steel system. Beautiful.

PAS - my system is Keihan, too. They are very nice as you mention.

Another vote for Keihan. Just put a complete system on an '83. Fits well, is quiet, and being SS it will last.

Rubber Chicken sells them.

I will need the entire system. Headers, crossovers, clamps and silencers. I want first quality stuff, and I am concerned about value, not necessarily cheapness. I know Epco and Staintune are very good, but wondered why the disparity in costs. Could one be $300 better than the other? I don't need polished stainless steel. Good chrome is good.

It is the stingy man who spends the most

"Just let that one slide. Yer from Michitucky." Helmut said to himself.

Aftermarket Exhaust

I put on a complete exhaust system on my 1983 R80RT from Niche Cycle, after 2 full riding seasons and 10K+ miles it looks great! Comments from some of my fellow riding buddies is that it sounds great nice tone, but still BMW quiet. It has no signs of rust, chrome is bright, and was priced right, installed like OEM. The header pipes have a single crossover tube instead of the OEM twin crossover tubes. I have no affiliation with this supplier or financial interest. I do recommend it as a viable aftermarket system that maintains the the OEM visual.
Jeff W.:thumb

I am watching this thread closely. Would love to loose the front muffler on my 92 RS. Exhausts for these models are few it seems.

Would love to loose the front muffler on my 92 RS. Exhausts for these models are few it seems.

In 98 I bought a 95 R100RT that only had 3K miles on it. The PO had made extensive mods to it, including cutting the front muffler open and removing the guts, then welding it back together. It did sound a bit louder, but not in a pleasant way. He also put on a K&N filter, re-jetted the carbs to run richer, and raised the needle valves. When I got the bike it would barely would hit 95 and only got about 30 mpg. It was also hard to start.

I returned it to stock, including replacing the front muffler. It now would top 115 and the mileage went up to the mid 40's. I cannot believe the front muffler made that much difference, but I can tell you that the exhaust was not improved. That said, I have seen others that just remove it and install pipes to replace it.

Wayne

In 98 I bought a 95 R100RT that only had 3K miles on it. The PO had made extensive mods to it, including cutting the front muffler open and removing the guts, then welding it back together. It did sound a bit louder, but not in a pleasant way. He also put on a K&N filter, re-jetted the carbs to run richer, and raised the needle valves. When I got the bike it would barely would hit 95 and only got about 30 mpg. It was also hard to start.

I returned it to stock, including replacing the front muffler. It now would top 115 and the mileage went up to the mid 40's. I cannot believe the front muffler made that much difference, but I can tell you that the exhaust was not improved. That said, I have seen others that just remove it and install pipes to replace it.

Wayne

Yes there is an H pipe that replaces it. I don't know how it affects anything other then I just don't care for that front muffler. I am only investigating at this time though.

Back