• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Chair

Picinisco

Scottish Transplant
I will be riding to the Rally with my camping gear and clothes for a week. I see at rallies, other campers with chairs outside their tents. What is a good foldable lightweight chair that I can carry with my gear on the back of my R1100RSL

080305Daytona135s.jpg

The original - Kermit. That is a picture of the inventor. He has since sold the business but the business still carries his name and maintains the quality.

I've got a Kermit and even though it packs up small, I always seem to run out of places to stow it....and so it has stayed home thus far. It does pack up small, but never manages to make the cut.

I use one of the canvas & metal types from Sears or Walmart sporting goods section - but in the small size. Looks almost like a childs size chair. At $10 each, I don't mind replacing it every couple of years when the stitching or fabric give out.

Folded, it is the same packed size as my tent poles, so it lashes down right next to them.

I use one of the canvas & metal types from Sears or Walmart sporting goods section - but in the small size. Looks almost like a childs size chair. At $10 each, I don't mind replacing it every couple of years when the stitching or fabric give out.

Folded, it is the same packed size as my tent poles, so it lashes down right next to them.

Now you're talking $10 as opposed to $125 for the Kermit. In fact at that price I could probably drop in at a Walmart near the Rally and buy one there and discard or donate it at the end so as not to carry it.

I have the Kermit chair and it goes on the small rack at the back of my GS, but I think you have hit on the right plan. Stop in at the nearest ***Mart and get a nice $10 chair and leave it at the end of the rally. You'll get your money's worth out of it and won't have to schlep it back and forth!

Don

Now you're talking $10 as opposed to $125 for the Kermit. In fact at that price I could probably drop in at a Walmart near the Rally and buy one there and discard or donate it at the end so as not to carry it.
I do that sometimes. Sometimes, if we are going really far and I know we are nmot camping on the way, I buy a cheap lawn chair at a store near the rally, then slip it into somebody's pickup bed that works at the fairgrounds. heh.

I usually bring my 7 dollar collapsible from Menards Home store.
I have had it for years now.

Kermit?

I was thinking of ordering a Kermit but my bike's pretty loaded right now. Hmm.
Question is will I end up taking it after paying all that money? Steve

I have an $9.99 camo folding chair from Dick's. Had to duct tape the cover for it and the plastic feet are little wore, (from sliding down the road with the bike strapped to it:cry )but it has never let me down yet:laugh

I do that sometimes. Sometimes, if we are going really far and I know we are nmot camping on the way, I buy a cheap lawn chair at a store near the rally, then slip it into somebody's pickup bed that works at the fairgrounds. heh.

I usually bring my 7 dollar collapsible from Menards Home store.
I have had it for years now.

That is so much better than forcing someone to dumpster dive! :clap

I manage to pack both mine and my wifes Kermit on the bike. And we ride two up. If you can't find room for it, ya just aren't trying hard enough. :stick

And yes, you will definately take it with you. I can think of a lot of things we pack that I could leave at home. The Kermits aren't one of them. Go ahead and :bow to the altar of Kermit, for they are worthy. :D

I use the $6 to $10 ones from Target or Wally World. They are about the same size as the Kermits, only at a more reasonable height with no assembly required. Plus if you lose or break one, you won't cry about it.

The latest set I got at Target has plastic end caps under the fabric at the top, so I'm hoping the fabric won't tear out on this set for a while.

Kermit is like yuppie coffee houses ... way over priced. $129.00 for a chair that might have $15.00 worth of materials in it and 1 hour of labor.

You can buy 15 Walmart quad chairs for the same money. I subscribe to the buy it when you get to the rally and give it away or throw it away at the end of the rally.

Certainly not as comfortable as a Kermit, but $129.00 times 2 plus the room two of them would take up on my 1150RT. I carry my soon to be 13 y/o son, Zach, to all of these rallies.

The kermit is certainly de rigeur, however I don't own one, I find them a bit low. Yes I know you can get leg extensions (for the chair), however a Kermit is probably worth more than my bike.

I have one of those ubiquitous folding chairs, it must be 10 years old by now, however it works great.

Diann of course has a genuine BMW Motoman chair that she won at Trenton. She still lets me sit beside her even though I only have the plebian chair........Rod.

+ umpty for Kermit! Yup, I have done the $10 chairs too and find them wanting at best. Each to his/her own, but when rallying I'll pack my Kermit.:clap

When I sit in a Kermit chair, I feel like I am going to break something.
At 6'2" it doesn't fit my large a.........ahem...... frame.

A real lawn chair makes my 3 or 4 days at the National quite comfy.
Not to mention, people who visit our campsite invariably sit in it, as opposed to Kermit chairs.
In Texas, the guy who lent me some blocks of wood for my bike when adjusting valves, found a folding lawn chair in the back off his pick up.
Karma is great!

Kermit is like yuppie coffee houses ... way over priced. $129.00 for a chair that might have $15.00 worth of materials in it and 1 hour of labor.

You can buy 15 Walmart quad chairs for the same money. I subscribe to the buy it when you get to the rally and give it away or throw it away at the end of the rally.

My grandfather learned to work at the end of the nineteenth century, and here at the beginning of the twenty-first century, I still benefit from the fact that I learned to work from him. One of the things he taught me is: always buy the best tools that you can afford. Not only do they do the job they were designed for, and do it for a long time, but also they give pleasure in their use. The Kermit chair is an elegant solution to a common problem. It's made of quality materials, is a pleasure to set up and use, and will last a long time. Personally, I find it depressing to be surrounded by cheap sh*t that is ugly, just barely performs the task it was designed for (if you're lucky), and will fail after a few uses. Not to mention the incredible waste of resources involved in producing the stuff. [disclaimer: I have no connection, financial or otherwise, to the Kermit Chair Empire]

Back