• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The REDMOND 1000!

Redmond 1000 on my 72 R75/5

thanks again to Mike and Rob for putting this on!!! Definitely would have done it differently. I ran the Cheyenne to Redmond route (80 to 84 to 20) would have been better to have started in Cheyenne at night and did 20 during day light. /5 lights leave alot to be desired, even though I upgraded to PIAA bulbs I was running way below speed limit, not at it on Rt 20 saw lots of deer and a nasty accident and it was very cold, had lot of clothes on buy no windshield or electrics. The 30 something degrees had me wishing for my R1100s, its outlet and heated grips as I shivered my way into Redmond. The old bike developed a oil leak about a hundred miles out so not much touring for the rally and limped it home all the while adding several qts of oil to get here. But there is alot to be said for those old bikes.

Thanks Kneebone

Deb and I want to thank everyone involved. We spent 3 days traveling east to Miles City to start our IronButt. A great opportunity to spend some time on the bike and to prepare. During the IronButt, we broke a cardinal rule by spending some time in our own bed (no...I wish!!!)as it was right on the route...about a one mile detour....We were feeling cock-sure earlier in the evening until we met up with a Minnesota rider, Steve, finishing a BunBurner Gold in Ritzville, WA. We'd done about 800 miles in 12 hours which didn't seem like much compared to 1600 plus in 23 hours and 47 minutes. Dude...Ritzville !???

Weather was on the cool side and cloudy heading west from Miles City. Couldn't have been better. The Pizza Party was great. Kneebone is a standup natural. Not sure if we'll do it again, but it was a blast the first time.

Got home today!

What a journey! My Navigator III GPS says I covered a total of 6,997 miles since leaving Maryland on Monday before the rally. I rode some ~3K miles getting there including completing my first SS via Cheyenne. My only regret was crossing Rt 20 in darkness--I missed some spectacular scenery. On Saturday I took a "side trip" down to Crater Lake, where there were still feet of snow up on the peaks around the crater's rim. After the rally ended I headed up to Seattle (to spent a couple of nights with an Aunt & Uncle whom I had not seen for 20 years) then further north to Bellingham (to spend a night with my wife's Aunt & Uncle) before crossing over the Canadian border to spend one night in Vancouver (saw the U.S. team's entry in the international fireworks competition there!) and I then headed eastward for a couple of days of spirited riding along Hwy3's twisty mountain roads. FABULOUS scenery! Then, after heading back south into the U.S. I decided I needed to make up some time, so I completed my first Bun Burner between Billings, Montana and Dayton, Ohio ... AND LIVED TO TELL THE TALE! It was some inspired riding, let me tell you--inspired by the fellowship of the Iron Butt Riders I met at the Rally, and all of the -wonderful- new friends I made along the way. A great big THANK YOU to all the organizers and volunteers who helped put the rally event together, and who help sustain this terrific organization...I am truly in awe of you and the IBA!

Back