• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'02 RT rear shock has two screws on each side, one is rebound, the other is???

chrisz

Hi, I'm looking at an OEM rear shock and see two screws one for rebound (H - S) and on the opposite side another screw with only notches. What does that notches screw adjust? (I'm not talking about the pre-load knob.)

Thanks,
Chris...

I would guess compression. It's all that's left after rebound and preload are accounted for.

I would have thought the same, but the owner's manual doesn't mention it. When I tried searching online only the rebound and preload were mentioned as possible adjustments? I put the screwdriver to the odd screw and it does turn to a noticeable detent on the various notches. (The shock has been removed from the bike.)

Historically, BMW has only offered rebound damping and preload adjustment on their shocks (at best), never compression damping.

how about posting a pic, to help us determine what you're dealing with?

yhst-15102260216258_2273_171036581

The screw on the bottom, it doesn't do anything to the rebound screw if it is turned.

With your picture of the shocks out of the bike are we correct in assuming you've replaced them with something else?

The shocks in the photo are not mine. The photos are stolen off the web. But they correctly show the screw I inquired about on the rear shock. But yes I did replace my shocks with much newer OEM.

I am going to take a wild guess: BMW doesn't make struts (shocks). Somebody makes them for them. Who exactly has changed over the years. I don't know who made yours.

But, BMW specifies what it wants. Let's say adjustable preload and adjustable rebound damping. Now BMW isn't the only buyer of that supplier's shocks. So they take an off the shelf shock body and equip it with innards (highly tech term) to meet BMW specifications. If that off the shelf shock body happened to work with both rebound and compression damping but the valving for compression damping were left out of the insides, then an extra adjusting screw that didn't do anything would still be in that off the shelf body.

I think they did, and they did, and they did, and that's what you get.

I'll bet if you tried to order that extra screw it would be priced as if it were an essential BMW part.

The shocks in the photo are not mine. The photos are stolen off the web. But they correctly show the screw I inquired about on the rear shock. But yes I did replace my shocks with much newer OEM.

If the shock in the photo is the same as yours the big knob is your preload adjuster and the small screw adjusts the rebound damping on an 1100RT. Any others would just be assembly parts. Is that what you are after?

Last edited:
I have the same screw ON my 1997 RT

This is a terrible photo, sorry, best I can do on my hands and knees with a beer in hand and camera in the other. photor.jpg

Attachments

• photor.jpg
    photor.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 32
Fubar? I don't know, but it does turn on my and stops at the detents...

If I can get a picture of my screw, I will. It can't be turned. The marks are from a stake tool and the edge of one slot has a center punch mark that keeps it from turning. I strongly suspect everyone here is right in assuming it's just a plug with an o-ring on it and it was the oil/gas fill. I would be reluctant to mess with it just in case it leaks. At that point, the shock is now two bouncy bits with a spring.

Back