• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

My 83 rt

Bought in 1999 after a trip around California with my uncle on a R60 /6. Been my daily driver ever since. Slow and steady its been all over the US and Canada, never left me on the side of the road, but occasionally marks its territory..

main.php

Picture taken February 2013

Too much snow for me! I was in Chelmsford this past August!! Who wants to tell him about the valve covers? :lurk

Well don't leave me hangin.....

The valve covers appear to be on the wrong side. The lines that go across the outside of the valve cover should essentially be parallel with the ground and/or run a direct line from the intake to the exhaust. Unless it's the camera angle, the front of the line appears to be higher than the rear of the line.

Looks like the valve covers are reversed. Sounds like that rt has a well traveled history!:thumb

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend series

Oops, I'm a little slower on the draw!

Bought in 1999 after a trip around California with my uncle on a R60 /6. Been my daily driver ever since. Slow and steady its been all over the US and Canada, never left me on the side of the road, but occasionally marks its territory..

main.php

Picture taken February 2013

Nice. Reminds me of my '83 R80RT's -- I've had two the same color as yours. Is that 800cc? I see rear drum brake, which I think was on the 800, but my valve covers were silver, not black. I always preferred the factory windscreen like yours has. Thanks for posting.

OK, here's mine...

It is a 1988 R100RS and it was already black when I bought it. Except for the lack of some pinstriping, it is just about 100% complete, including hard bags. It has some of the more sensible upgrades and I enjoy tinkering with it almost as much as I enjoy riding it.

The R100RS model has been my dream bike ever since they first came out (I was a teenager riding a 1975 R75/6 at the time). So here I am all these years later...an older guy riding an older bike, but it means more to me than any new bike could.

Attachments

• Bike July 29 2012.jpg
    Bike July 29 2012.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 488
Here's a few more photos showing the distressingly dreary weather out here in the Pacific Northwet. Took the /5 to Port Townsend today for lunch. Don't all you retired guys/gals ride 40 miles for lunch?

Point Hudson, overlooking the Puget Sound.

IMG_2128_zps47e319e0.jpg

Mt. Baker in the background.

IMG_2133_zps454ecc9d.jpg

Another activity that's quite popular around these parts.

IMG_2129-1_zps9bebf5db.jpg

'76 r90/6

this one is new to me last november. last BMW i had was a '75 R75/6 for the latter half of the '80s. i wanted something identical, to re-live my younger days a bit. this was pretty beat when i bought it @ 67k miles.

i spent the winter doing things within the range of my limited abilities: points, plugs, condensor, all fluids changed, new throttle gears and cables, new choke cables, new tach cable & grommet, completely rebuilt the carbs, new shocks, new seat, new battery, new headlight reflector, rebuilt front caliper, re-sleeved and rebuilt M/C (by apple hydraulics), new upper brake hose, flushed tank & checked lining (still looks intact), rebuilt one petcock & replaced the other, new tires, new rear brake shoes, wheel bearings replaced (by tom cutter), checked rear splines (lots of wear left on both mating surfaces).

i have a second set of heads that i sent to tom cutter for rebuilding. just got them back but i will wait til next winter to fit them, as i want to go through the rest of the top end at the same time, including checking the connecting rods.

oh yeah... my tach went haywire a few weeks ago, so i will send the instrument cluster to terry vrla in a week for repair and calibration.

it's been fun working on her over the winter, now i am ready for a summer of enjoyment with hopefully no major surprises.

Attachments

• R90-6.jpg
    R90-6.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 725
  • R90-6_b.jpg
    R90-6_b.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 726
Last edited:
Quite awhile ago I posted a picture of my 1973 75/5. It was standing alone in a surprise bit of snow. That wonderful old bike took my wife and I to hundreds of places throughout the U.S. and now awaits some modest tinkering before heading out again on some adventure. My wife, Mary, is an artist and has recently been exploring the combination of abstract and realism (maybe there is a more precise word for it but I don't know). Subsequently, she decided to explore this using the old /5 as a model. Thought that I would share this. (note: using this design for some other posted stuff but this is the original). - Bob

Quite awhile ago I posted a picture of my 1973 75/5. It was standing alone in a surprise bit of snow. That wonderful old bike took my wife and I to hundreds of places throughout the U.S. and now awaits some modest tinkering before heading out again on some adventure. My wife, Mary, is an artist and has recently been exploring the combination of abstract and realism (maybe there is a more precise word for it but I don't know). Subsequently, she decided to explore this using the old /5 as a model. Thought that I would share this. (note: using this design for some other posted stuff but this is the original). - Bob

I like it! Any chance there will be prints available????:thumb

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend series

I like it! Any chance there will be prints available????:thumb

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend series

Mary and I talked about prints/posters but we haven't broken out of the discussion stage. It could make a fine poster with some appropriate airhead descriptive titling. Right now we are using it for our Salty Fog Riders t-shirts (available for purchase but if there was enough interest (or we stimulate enough market interest) then we can scout some cost effective pricing around production and shipping. Thanks for getting us thinking about that again. :thumb -Bob

Back