• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600 head to head with Goldwing

wuli959

Has anyone else read the Motorcycle Consumer News comparison? I'm not in the market for either one but it was enlightening to read a more reality based comparo for a touring bike then those that seem to pass through ad copy.

The GTL is clearly not an LT, and is just as clearly not trying to be a Goldwing. Just a quick look at the bike will tell you that. A more interesting matchup would be with the Concours 14 and the FJR 13. Everyone who has ridden one understands that it is a replacement for the K13GT.

Still, I was amazed that MCN chose the GW engine over the K16. I had a brief ride on a friend's GTL (in Germany) a couple weeks ago and it just simply flies. I didn't notice any of the driveline snatch that MCN was going on about.

agreed. I'll have to say that I thought that BMW was going to use the GTL to compete for the long distance two up riders. Based on the MCN comparison, it appears that it does if you're off the interstate. But surprisingly the GW won in more catagories than I would have expected.
For those that were interested in comparing the two it makes for an interesting read.

Yes, I read it

I too was surprised by some of the findings. I think that the comparison suffers a little by the choice of competitors. That said, maybe my impression of the GoldWing suffers by knowing several of their 'bowling jacket/matching helmet/looks trumps all else' riders. I feel like they're comparing a Lipizzaner Stallion with a Park Avenue carriage horse.

:brow

The Motorcycle Consumer News comparison is the only one that I have seen where the GW won. The K1600 seems to have won the rest of them.

Well somebody had to be different. If you have been on both the GW does have some advantages over the 1600. Who wins depends on what you are looking for to begin with in the comparison. In the end I don't know I truly trust any of these publications. Advertising dollars and subscriptions have a lot to do with these comparisons. This is not unbiased hard core journalism as if there was such thing an unbiased hard core journalism anymore.

MCN does not have any advertising so they are theoretically free to make any comments on bikes and products they want without fear of reprisal.

Be that as it may, I'm not sure that comparing these bikes is valid. These two bikes are quite different and probably can't really be compared. The only thing they have in common is six cylinders and two wheels.

My two cents worth.

compare

I own a gtl, so some would think im biased, nope, I just own the one that is right for me. I rode a honda, didnt like it, too heavy, too lame in corners, not fast enough, no leg room, too cluttered, no adjustable windshield, and the bags dont come off.

The two are uncomparable, If you want big, fat, heavy, and cumbersome, and like to get off and manually adjust the windshield, as well as drive around with cb controls for the cb you arent going to buy, then by all means buy a honda. either way, it will never be, try as it might, a bmw.

I am coming off of a harley davidson fl, and have owned 2 lt's as well.

How anyone would pick that lame flat six over a strait six... oh well.

As for mcn being unbiased? I dont think so, its all in the tester, weather or not they are into jap crap, european cycles, or american iron. No test will ever be unbiased, thier are people involved.

I know the GTL is the best for me and my riding preferance, My wife likes it the best so far as well, she hated riding on the lead wing we rented, and she likes it better than either of the lt's i owned.

unfortuneatly BMW will never produce enough gt/gtl's to flood the market, so its a mute point. If they did, they could cut the price even further and womp all over the honda.

ride safe

K1600 GW comparison

MCN does not have any advertising so they are theoretically free to make any comments on bikes and products they want without fear of reprisal.

MCN has been doing this for years. They made a dumb comparison with a K100 and a bike I can't remember except it wasn't in the same catagory. K100 looked like a real loser. I met the editor at Long Beach international bike show that year and complained. His reply was "to sell mags you need controversary". I unsubscribed.

A group of us were told by BMW engineers at a pre design meeting that they were not looking to design a BMW "Goldwing". They said that the Goldwing was a fine motorcycle but they had no interest in that style of motorcycle design. The meeting was held about 3 years ago @ Max BMW on a Sunday. :ear
Mike

Yes. GTL in not an LT. :nono
Yes. Driveline snatch is there.:brow
Maybe you can fly GTL in Germany, but in US guys are getting speeding tickets for going 5 miles above the speed limit.
At least 2 GTL bikes, I know of, went back to the dealer.
One was replaced by a brand new R1200RT.
The second one... "STILL THINKING":D
A+ for MCN. They did a good job.
$26800 for a bike and the lid of the top case can't hold a kermit chair?
I really was waiting for that GTL in anticipation of a real "TOURING" bike.
When Concourse 14 will become a little more "TOURING", I will be the first in line.:bikes

Last edited:
The GTL IS BMW's Ultimate Tour

Apples and oranges - wrong bikes to compare.

Interesting enough but worthless

I don't agree. While the bikes are different, according to BMW, the GTL IS their ultimate touring machine and the ÔÇ£The future of touringÔÇØ.

Someone willing to drop 25-35K on a touring machine is entitled to learn the pros and cons of each manufacturersÔÇÖ offerings in a particular market segment. In my opinion, comparison to the Gold Wing, or HD, or any other tourer, is legitimate.

Cycle world just did the comparison too, and concluded the GTL was only 90% as capable as a slab, coast to coast cruiser that the wing was, BUT it was TWICE the sport tourer the Wing was. They ended stating BMW in their first attempt, (unless you consider the LT) packed a K.O. punch to the long time defending champion.

There are two problems with the gang at Cycle World
1) The live in CA and rarely test in the kind of stuff most of us ride in. (Unless you count Egan's incessant blitherings about old Brit stuff)
2) They evaluate most bikes as one would evaluate a toy or a loaner, not as real transporation one might use for a bunch of years. They typically overlook items important to long term users.

So far the guys in our club who own LTs and have looked at the 1600 give it poor marks as an LT replacement and the wives don't like it either. Be intersting to see what happens when their LTs have to be replaced but I'm betting at least one will switch to a Wing- not sure about the others, yet.

Most of the time I think the MCN guys and the Brit publications do a better job at getting it right. But they all do better than the review in ON which have been essentially worthless for all of the new models recently reviewed, either being rephrases of the press release, lacking in any comparisons to previous or similar BMW models, etc etc. For some reasons the RA reviews are better in what they cover but typically they overlook a lot of topics.

I don't have a dog in this one- the 1600 isn't my kind of bike. Too big, too heavy, too complex for simple maintenance. I'm more intersted in seeing where the boxer bikes are going and hoping someone will bring back some more versatile middleweights.

I don't agree. While the bikes are different, according to BMW, the GTL IS their ultimate touring machine and the ÔÇ£The future of touringÔÇØ.

Someone willing to drop 25-35K on a touring machine is entitled to learn the pros and cons of each manufacturersÔÇÖ offerings in a particular market segment. In my opinion, comparison to the Gold Wing, or HD, or any other tourer, is legitimate.

I agree. It isn't apples and oranges. It is BMW's new take on touring versus Honda's existing take. I doubt there is going to be an LT update. One can bet there will be all kinds of GTL/GW comparos from the press, and many considering a GW will consider a GTL as well... and make the choice for the GTL, and vice versa.

I'm more intersted in seeing where the boxer bikes are going and hoping someone will bring back some more versatile middleweights.
Looks like the 2013 (14?) wasserboxer will be pretty appealing -- thermal stability and power potential of water cooling in a compact package, wet multiplate clutch, more ergonomically-friendly intake arrangements (no intake tubes/throttle bodies in the shins). Also looks like the Telelever front end will continue (the pics BMW's released have the front suspension mounting point in the right place for a Telelever, and the wrong place for a Duolever). If the next RT gets 2/3 of the capabilities the K16GTL's electronics provide, the RT will be a killer package.

Last edited:
Ahhhh... You note and place the great R1200RT in the mix. :nod Cycle World awarded it "Tourer of the Year" a few years ago (pre-DOHC), and gave the Gold Wing "Honorable Mention". Yet, it also wins sport touring comparisons! What a balancing act. Weighs 200lbs less than the GTL. For those going far, content with keeping things <120 mph, yet wanting something more nimble for back roads and twisties, the refined RT is another option.

I watched a youtube review on both, they said the BMW was a sport touring while the GW was a true touring model, I have had a GW and love the K1600 more lots of torque and lots of mpg, I have 600to miles getting 42mpg

Back