• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/13/07

From the Falling Leaf rally (resized only):

fallingleaf_12.jpg

fallingleaf_17.jpg

fallingleaf_19.jpg

fallingleaf_27.jpg

fallingleaf_31.jpg

fallingleaf_38.jpg

That's a rainbow over the crowd.

fallingleaf_58.jpg

...Caution: Digital Virgin Content

... I spent the past week working on an old house and that did not give a lot of time to get really creative with my very new and capable Nikon. Lots to learn. Anyway, unable to venture out too far I looked around. Lots of beauty in this remote little place called Larrys River. Lots of blue.... but I missed that weekend. Now... Group Dynamic.

What I really wanted was a seagull feeding frenzy up in the blueberry field. Food thrown..... I position myself in bushes and ready for some grand shots. Smart birds these gulls. Circling overhead they waited for me to leave. They won and I went back to working on the house.

New ideas: first is my makeshift workbench in a future bedroom. Not looking too dynamic at the moment but it is a bustle of activity for most of the day.

LarrysRiverOct2007004.jpg

Then, as I made the bed in the morning, I thought quilt. Pieces brought together in a purposeful and dynamically resourceful way which is a beautiful example of form and function. Note the BMW content in the center.

LarrysRiverOct2007029.jpg

And last, again not me at my most creative, is a shot taken while in barley therapy one evening. After working all day with the electrician I thought that maybe I can capture a bit of the dynamic interlacing and subsequent networking that eminates from the systems heart: The Breaker Box. Darn thing is dynamic when it works well and vividly dynamic when things get mixed up.

LarrysRiverOct2007019.jpg

Even if no product is forthcoming, the exercise really nudges one to see their world in a more interesting and thoughful way. Complacency sneaks up on you with silent ease. -Bob

Last edited:
A few shots from Mortons BMW dealer Octoberfest in northern VA
Hey RM - I rode by Morton's on Saturday! I wish that I could have stopped.

I like this picture a lot though even though I don't feel like it is visually particularly strong or interesting. I was riding a competitive rally in VA over the weekend and to me, this picture of my buddy Mike trying to find a bonus location communicates what competitive rallies can be like.

This particular bonus was the grave of the arm of Stonewall Jackson in a very remote location, and once we got to the location, we had a bit of trouble finding the granite marker designating the grave.

It's an image of a group dynamic for me because I had never ridden a rally with another rider before.

208750952-L.jpg

Hey RM - I rode by Morton's on Saturday! I wish that I could have stopped.

I like this picture a lot though even though I don't feel like it is visually particularly strong or interesting. I was riding a competitive rally in VA over the weekend and to me, this picture of my buddy Mike trying to find a bonus location communicates what competitive rallies can be like.

This particular bonus was the grave of the arm of Stonewall Jackson in a very remote location, and once we got to the location, we had a bit of trouble finding the granite marker designating the grave.

It's an image of a group dynamic for me because I had never ridden a rally with another rider before.

208750952-L.jpg

Interesting, I just looked it up, I'll have to go down there, not far from my digs. So did you guys find it? The website roadsideAmerica says you need a pass to get into the site, but I found the road leading to the house on maps.google.

RM

Interesting, I just looked it up, I'll have to go down there, not far from my digs. So did you guys find it? The website roadsideAmerica says you need a pass to get into the site, but I found the road leading to the house on maps.google.

RM
Yes, we found it. If the gate is down you need a pass from the visitor's center, if not you can just go in.

I'd highly recommend a visit - it's a cool spot.

OK so here's a late-entry, and I have to point out up front that I did not take this picture (but my helmet and gloves are in it), and it was not taken during this past weekend, or even this year. But it was one of those weird serendipities- the Group Dynamic assignment-thread was one of the last I read the last time I was here, and shortly after that I saw this photo that a friend took a while back being used as a front-page photo for a YahooGroup that friend just started. As soon as I saw the picture I knew it was a group dynamic for sure- so with the photographer's blessing, here it is:

208993458-M-0.jpg

This was taken at a former Esso station in Mena Arkansas just off the end of the Talimena Scenic Drive. I was with a bunch of airhead-riding friends from all over the country, and we had stopped to look through the windows at the old gas station, which is preserved from another era and now (along with a former Studebaker showroom around the corner) serves as a small museum of mostly cars, a few bikes, and various bits of American-road-memorabilia.
The Photographer is my friend Joan Marie from Seattle.

Last edited:
Group Dynamic

An outstanding group of photos this week! Photographers seemed to respond well to the theme of "Group Dynamic." Let's take a look at some of them, shall we?

208991419-L.jpg

Statdawg started us off with a bang on Friday with "Friday Night Lights." This is a wonderful composition--the size of the team is emphasized by foregrounding them and having them disappear into the border. The lighting is really good, too. I want this to have been illuminated with a flash, but I don't think it was. Nonetheless, the exposure is great and it doesn't fall off too much in the distance, keeping our interest on the coaches. It answers the theme very well.

DSC01093.JPG

Grossjohann's "Setting Up for the Rush" is an admirable photo. I agree with his concern that the group is not doing much yet, but it is such a thoughtful composition. By including the sign, the whole story is told. But how the sign is included, large and in the foreground, is what really sets this off as a thoughtful photo. So many of us might have just snapped a picture of a truck or a truck and a sign. This is the photo for the BBQ brochure.

DSC_3285%20copy.jpg

Rocketman contributed five interesting and technically strong photos this week. Two stood out to me regarding the theme. The photo above is a great candid. First of all, it's taken with a telephoto lens which provides that nice sense of compression. There are riders milling around, adding to the sense of a dynamic group, and the background is pleasantly fuzzy. What works in this photo, though, is that something is going on between the rider and the (instructor?). It's a compelling image. I could do without the white tent line in the lower right corner, but what are you going to do?

DSC_3288%20copy.jpg

This image didn't strike me at first, but on closer inspection, it addresses the theme well. What we have here are two groups, cops and civilians. It's remarkable to contrast the severe stance and regimental clothing of the officers with the relaxed posture and baggy attire of the civilians. They don't appear to be interacting which heightens the differences. 500 bonus points for getting Billy Bob Thornton to put on a uniform.

207715616-L-1.jpg

Beerteam has given us another nice group of photos. This one--a scene of bucolic splendor--is worth repeating. It obviously addresses the theme and is just a beautiful, natural scene.

207716792-L-1.jpg

This shot was a crowd favorite this week drawing a number of comments. It's a funny picture, one which provokes much thought and inspires any number of questions. Beerteam always garners bonus points for getting his bikes in the shot.

1013CrestedBuzzard085s.jpg

Paulbach's entry this week certainly addresses the theme in a most familiar way. Can't you just smell the smoke? It would be easy to point to this photo as a reject because the smoke interferes, but at the same time it evokes such a strong olfactory response that it actually works. Besides, who hasn't sat by a campfire only to be enveloped by smoke? It's a fun shot and a good memory, I'll bet.

1572027679_37aedeb2b8.jpg

An entry this week from SheRidesaBeemer, and a fun one at that. This picture is a perfect illustration as to why you always want to have a camera with you. It's a fun shot and one that addresses the theme perfectly. As you can see from the shadow, and as Gail herself points out, the camera is staring almost directly into the sun. With an immovable subject, this presents a problem. The camera actually handles the exposure well, but it costs contrast and the subject is a bit backlit. A potential solution would have been to get closer (if possible--this IS someone's front yard) and to activate the camera's built-in flash. That would help to fill in some of the shadow and backlight. Another thought, again if possible--would have been to move in order to de-emphasize those pesky power lines. Maybe use the house as the backdrop? Still--a really neat image.

_xy-1193417_1

RandallIsland's entry this week can be interpreted several ways. It's group dynamic, but what is the group? Certainly, they're all vehicles quenching their thirst for gas. But there's also a beemer sandwiched between the two patrol vehicles. Did they all stop--mid-pursuit--to fill up? Fun shot--again, keep your camera with you.

208991503-L.jpg

Bluestune's "Dynamic Group Therapy" generated quite a bit of excited chatter. I appreciate his willingness to share technique. It's a wonderful, technically excellent, and imaginatively executed photograph. Just wonderful. This points to one of the differences between a "grabbed" shot and one that is thoughtfully planned out. It's amazing what kind of picture you can paint with just a little thought and planning.

208991326-XL.jpg

Voni's back this week with "Non-Comformist BMW-Style Parking." No kidding! This is a neat shot that answers the theme quite nicely. The composition is great with the mountains in the background. Imagine this shot with 50% sky on top. This is a thoughtful execution. She has included herself in the foreground (Hi Voni!) with the shadow. That's sometimes impossible to avoid. She has her back to the sun which is why the colors are so crisp. I wanted to complain the the bike in the foreground was cut off and that the picture might have been taken from a lower angle; however, I decided that I was all wrong. We have two different views of silver 1200RTs in this picture. We don't need all of both. 250 bonus points for including a red Funduro. You can't have a Funduro without Fun.

208991241-XL.jpg

Stealthrider weighs in this week with a wonderful image and another great execution of the theme. I love this shot. It's a very simple photo with a complex and dynamic subject. By isolating this group, we see the dissection of a much larger organism, the marching band. The image seems to have a slight greenish cast, not just the grass. That the band members are huddled on the oval really adds something--I can't express it--to this image. 140 bonus points (10 points each) for the hats.

208991387-L.jpg

MLS2GO gives us another nice image this week. It's a nice composition with an interesting background (tents and a trail). It's a scene familiar to all of us, one that stirs a warm and pleasant feeling, perhaps even excitement. It's an excellent execution of the theme. The photo is very low contrast, the colors are muted. It appears as though it was an overcast day, but still, you might want to boost your contrast slightly in the camera's menu. This obviously can be post-processed as well. Another issue is sharpness. The overall photo is a bit soft. The fellow in the red helmet is reasonably sharp, but the dude on the far left is out of focus. Dirty lens? If yes, clean it. If no, take a couple of test shots of a highly defined subject (something with sharp relief or a pattern) and see what you find. These criticisms aside, this is a successful shot, one that really shows a group dynamic.

208540877-M.jpg

Bricciphoto offers another nice image and interpretation of group dynamic. I don't like that everyone's back is to the camera, but I'm not telling the story, am I? What strikes me about this image is its counter-intuitive composition. Most of us would have shot this horizontally. Ben shoots is vertically instead, and rather than isolating the three fellows, he includes the tents and large "motorcycle" marquee. It's a snapshot, but a rather effective one.

208541153-M.jpg

This is a beautiful still-life. Vibrant colors and spot-on contrast. By chasing the shadows you can see where the sun is, not directly behind, but to the right rear of the photographer. Wonderful highlights on the veggies and I love the shadow of the leaves poking in on the right.

208541199-M.jpg

This simple reflection is an inventive retelling of the theme. I like it. If he could process this image, I'd like to see the contrast boosted a bit. 1,000 bonus points for including an F800.

Group Dynamic Continued

1580011756_0017d46a85.jpg

Burnzilla returns this week with a very cool contribution. This is a technically imperfect photo, that is one taken at so slow of a shutter speed that some motion blur occurs. But this "flaw" actually works in this photo (and truth be told I can't say for sure that he didn't do it on purpose). It's grainy, natural light shot at night. It really answers the theme well and is a somehow exciting image, one that reveals it own energy--nighttime in the city sort of thing. Very cool.

fallingleaf_12.jpg

WMUBrown joins us this week with a number of interpretations from the Falling Leaf Rally. I love the one above. It's an outstanding and thoughtful composition. This is the sort of photo that tells its own story. It's early the next morning. It's at least day two of the rally. Everyone stayed up late around the campfire, passing a bottle and telling lies. In the wee hours they staggered off to their tents to snore the stars away. What fun! I like this shot. When I post-processed this shot, I would straighten the horizon. But I wouldn't change anything else in this very successful image.

fallingleaf_27.jpg

WMUBrown's other contribution that caught my eye was this one. This is another excellent interpretation of this week's theme. Had he the presence of mind and time, if he had slowed the shutter speed slightly, he could have panned this shot, adding sense of speed and de-emphasizing the background. But that's Monday morning quarterbacking. It's a cool shot. 50 bonus points for a sidehack. 100 bonus points for each rider beyond the legal three, for a total of 300 points. Minus 50 points for no ATGATT adults (100 points) and minus 100 points for no ATGATT kids (300 points), leaving him with a total of -50 points. Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

LarrysRiverOct2007029.jpg

LarrysRiverOct2007019.jpg

Touringo, an admitted digital virgin (1,000 BPs) stops by this week with three very nice contributions, not at all indicative of a newbie. These two captured my attention the most. Both are nice shots and interesting theme interpretations. What strikes me about them is the angle. I would have taken both of these head-on, rather than from a low angle with a receding horizon. That doesn't make me right. In fact, my inclination is the obvious choice, which is not at all necessarily the right one. The angle is most effective with the junction box. The quilt might have been cropped a bit tighter to eliminate any background, but again, that's subjective. Both are neat, thought-provoking pictures in light of the theme.

208750952-L.jpg

I have to disagree with Boxergrrlie here. This picture is visually interesting. I don't see how it fits the theme (the image itself) but it is a dynamic image. Apparently taken on the run, the slowish shutter speed blurs everything just slightly, causing an illusion of speed and immediacy. This is an exciting image. I love the overexposed background. This rider is heading to the white light. What lies beyond? Why is he running? Where are these hedge rows? What's he looking for? Some of the greatest images ask, rather than answer, questions. Neat shot.

I try to get to everyone, but can't do every image. If you're image was passed by and you have a question about it or want some feedback, do ask. I--and I'm sure others--will be happy to offer our 0.02. I had fun this week. Hope you did, too.

If you haven't submitted your photo yet, you have until midnight tonight! Let's see 'em.

fallingleaf_12.jpg

WMUBrown joins us this week with a number of interpretations from the Falling Leaf Rally. I love the one above. It's an outstanding and thoughtful composition. This is the sort of photo that tells its own story. It's early the next morning. It's at least day two of the rally. Everyone stayed up late around the campfire, passing a bottle and telling lies. In the wee hours they staggered off to their tents to snore the stars away. What fun! I like this shot. When I post-processed this shot, I would straighten the horizon. But I wouldn't change anything else in this very successful image.

I also tried to apply the rule of 1/3's mentioned in a previous assignment with the fire :) I was sitting in a chair, holding the camera down low to the ground and estimating the angles. I will post-process and adjust the slope seen too... a couple other tries were much more off horizontal ;)

fallingleaf_27.jpg

WMUBrown's other contribution that caught my eye was this one. This is another excellent interpretation of this week's theme. Had he the presence of mind and time, if he had slowed the shutter speed slightly, he could have panned this shot, adding sense of speed and de-emphasizing the background. But that's Monday morning quarterbacking. It's a cool shot. 50 bonus points for a sidehack. 100 bonus points for each rider beyond the legal three, for a total of 300 points. Minus 50 points for no ATGATT adults (100 points) and minus 100 points for no ATGATT kids (300 points), leaving him with a total of -50 points. Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

This was a spur of the moment shot. I was looking at a few wrecked bikes, heard a bike fire up, turned and saw the hack loaded up with kids, turned back and then *bing* I mentally saw a moment in the making, turned on the camera as I turned, they began moving, and I tried to pan with them. I was using a Casio Exilim ultra-compact camera, it doesn't have a lot of latitude in its default "AUTO" mode but is otherwise a nice tiny workhorse. It has zero options for manual control. Sometimes, as is the case with this photo, the result is a "soft" focus - I have not determined why, but is probably due to the movement. It's not blurry, but it's not sharp.

Thanks for the feedback...

Thanks for the feedback...

You're most welcome. Thanks for all the cool shots.

Try blowing up the sidehack shot. It's most likely motion blur, but I can't tell and have to get back to grading papers!

As always Tom, thanks for taking the time to share your insight. It's always fun seeing everyone else's shots and reading your thoughtful comments. :wave

well thanks for the comments (esp on mine!:D ) but really for your thoughts on all of them. Its interesting to hear others views as that is the kind of input that can make us all better photographers. I hadn't expected a review/critique but enjoyed it and it added something to the thread that was a pleasant surpirse.

My personal favorite was the marching band, the sense of movement shown by the leg position of all the members seemed to me to really tie them all together, more so than the uniforms or anything else. the sense that they were allmost off balance and could fall over (though obviously they did not!) at any moment hightened the excitement of the moment thus captured.

I too liked the cow shot, fuuny thing was as I was out riding sunday and went by several pastures with cows milling around I thought to myself, "are cows considered scocial animals?" and almost stopped to shoot a few for the theme.
A 1000 points for getting the bike in, eh? Damn, I hardly ever take pictures with my bike in it, I figure we all know what a BMW looks like, right? its the other stuff I'm really interested in sharing, guess I'll have change that, for these threads anyway!:D

the other one that caught my eye was the 6-six pack, though I think I would have removed one, as that to me would have added something to the story it told.
(or removed 3 and then that could have been the reason for its being blurred! Ha Ha!)

Oh, and I did almost photoshop out the tent cord, then figured what the hey!:D It can be a real pain when a shot is such that you just have to shoot it or miss it knowing that if you only had a second more you have moved a few feet, but then the shot would be gone. Kinda like many things in life, eh?

RM

We haven't done this before, but just for kicks I did a quick edit on my shots, kind of a pre-Tom: post-Tom. :D Although I lost a little contrast in the vegetables in the edited shot (it was unintended and I'm too lazy to fix it).

208541199-S.jpg
209076987-S.jpg

208541153-S.jpg

209076980-S.jpg

208540877-S.jpg
209076964-S.jpg

Very informative, Ben. I'd thought of doing this, but hadn't got around to it. Thanks!

Thanks, Tom. I've been having fun with these photo assignments. They're a nice outlet for us would-be photographers. Looking forward to next weekend's topic...

This gets better all the time.

Thanks so much for all you've shared.

There is so much to learn, but with small steps and practical applications it's easier to absorb. What a great resource.

Voni
sMiling

Three photos from the IBR Finish in St. Louis

If I post all three you can see the story. A very spent rider, group dynamics and our own Voni joining in to help.

Attachments

• IBR20071.jpg
    IBR20071.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 101
Back