• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Distractions, Texting etc.

In slowly making my way through the current Owners News I came to an article discussing "The Farklebar" by Rob Nye. Now in all due respect for Mr. Nye, I mention this; Page 118, looking at these pictures I see nothing but distraction. Geez just the factory computer read out on my RT is more distraction than I need, and we worry about someone texting while driving. These photos show almost as many instruments as the cockpit in a jet plane. I know all you gadget geeks will claim they can handle it, lets all hope so as we all know bad things can happen very quickly.

If I remember correctly, Rob is an avid iron butt rider. There are a number of additional factors that need to be considered when riding iron butt. And even absent iron butt, It's not that people use them, but misuse them.

E.

"It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless information."
Oscar Wilde

Last edited:
Gotta say when I think about how quick a pilot of a fighter jet on mission has to make decisions and multitask...I think he/she are pretty darn good at it. I worked for one who amazed me with his quick analytical/action abilities.Cool under fire to say the least. He taught me a lot.

Same goes for most frontline combat operations land or sea, police, firefighters, doctors,pilots and many more professions.

I am not of that skillset trained as some mentioned, but I have managed to not cause any harm to others while out on the road. As a former first responder to major power outages involving a lot of public interface and public hazards for almost 30 years( making a scene safe for firefighters was but one)...I have proven I can handle a few mental/physical activities at once.

As mentioned previously if you know when it's safe you are in the game.

There will be a day when that may not be the case...I know that.

If I remember correctly, Rob is an avid iron butt rider. There are a number of additional factors that need to be considered when riding iron butt.

I refuse to accept the idea that an iron butt rider is any different than the rest of the riding population. That's a topic for another thread, though.

I think 3 seconds is closer to what happen in a speedo/mirror check...My eyes are moving all the time anyways...typically ahead. My mirror checks are when in traffic, not out on an open road as often.I just tried a one second count and didn't reach my imaginary mirror.

I don't care for the voices in my head or thoughts at times on long trips, so I do listen to my Ipod, unless in urban traffic...Highway to Hell or Radar Love doesn't set a good tone in a crowded environment:D

I use a GPS at times and don't fiddle with it when in traffic or on a twisty road. It also depends on how fast I am travelling...pushing buttons on the tollroad doing 85MPH (legal limit here on the tollroad to my daughters house) in certain places is prob not a good idea.

Oh yeah, I am one of those guys who takes pictures on the fly as well...same personal rules apply.

Thank you for this reply. I strongly suspect you are a more experienced and better rider than I. It always embarrases me when a vehicle passes me and I didn't know it was coming up. Hence the reason for frequent but brief checks of my left mirror with also a "blind spot" mirror. I still get surprised on occasion.

I respect that you (and many others) only focus on your various gadgets when you feel a 3 second diversion of attention from the road is safe. And I'm sure you are aware that almost all people can be distracted for longer periods of time by similar devices.

Since there is no way these electroic devices are going to go away, you have only two responsible choices: 1) forget them or 2) use them when you do really do have the time.

We know that this has become a major threat from cagers. Can we prevent it from becoming a major threat we inflict on ourselves as riders?

Yeah, but a red light is one of the best time to check these things. While you're moving is not.

And, the worst distraction while driving.......

is my 4.5 year old son. I keep telling him "dad has to concentrate on driving, and he cannot...(fill in the blank here)." My god little kids are distracting to drivers. And, I have only one. I can only imagine what it's like driving with two or more.

In Lexington ,KY the cops have a new "Dont Text & Drive VW Beetle" ,donated by BMW car dealer& decorated with messages per "No Texting" & a black & white paint job and blue/red lt bar on top. Yesterday while we were waiting for the redlight to change coming out of a Chic-fil-A area, the VW was sitting adjacent & watching for texters at the light. I don't think the red light figures into "will she/cop cut you some slack" if you text.

Texting at the red-light makes you a douchebag because you'll still have your nose in the phone when the light turns green and everybody will honk at you.

Tangential thought: Have you all noticed that no cagers give nice little warning-taps on their horns anymore? If they use the horn at all, it's only in the form of a big long blast of righteous indignation. Idiots.

I don't have a problem with voice activated phones in cages- that's no different than having a conversation with someone riding with you.

To me the problem is all the "eyes off the road, hands on the device" garbage out there. It always causes compromise of attention to driving basics.

The most common thing I see cagers doing stupidly is one hand steering, often around blind corners. A typical example near where I live is women buying stuff for dinner exiting a main road at 50 mph, 1 handed into a shopping center lot where vision is blocked by banks and stores. Between their inaccurate, jerky 1 hand steering and excessive speed there have been a number of accidents as evidenced by debris in the parking lot..

The sooner we start treating driving while distracted (DWD) as the legal and moral equivalent of DWI, the better. Including loss of license, jail terms for repeat offenders, etc...

Yes I've got a G-4- but its sole use is comms re necessary info with my riding partner. It does not pipe music or gps info to my helmet. Both are distractions. Been riding since the 1960s and learned early on that it was only my own focus that can keep me alive (and was darn lucky to survive long enough to figure that out for myself in the days before classses, helmet laws, etc etc)

Perhaps those IBA types with their gadgets have a better than average safety record though I'd doubt that.

b6cfa579-3e13-4b32-a1f0-89f63e95d71b.png

I like his camouflage "onesey".

Texting at the red-light makes you a douchebag because you'll still have your nose in the phone when the light turns green and everybody will honk at you.

Tangential thought: Have you all noticed that no cagers give nice little warning-taps on their horns anymore? If they use the horn at all, it's only in the form of a big long blast of righteous indignation. Idiots.

Here in Georgia text messaging, instant messaging, web browsing, email use (reading, checking or composing), etc are all prohibited even while stopped at a traffic light and may only be conducted "off the roadway".

The sooner we start treating driving while distracted (DWD) as the legal and moral equivalent of DWI, the better. Including loss of license, jail terms for repeat offenders, etc...

Before I retired, I remember one of our motor officers showing me a University of Virginia Study that actually showed an alcohol impaired driver in the 0.08-0.10 BAC range was a safer driver than a texting driver. The conclusion was that the DUI driver was concentrating on driving and NOT getting caught while the texting driver was concentrating on well....texting.

I could say more & go way off thread but the simple fact is , that there are many of my generation still alive attests to the reality that you can drive impaired and be on earth to tell it/this.
To take this another step beyond text & drive, I wonder how the i-phone/texter crowd is going to interact socially , in face to face situations in the future? When we have my bunch together its like who am I talking to , a person or a "connected one"? I've got some great kids & relatives but you have to wonder if you are getting through at times! They do come in for a landing once in awhile. :laugh
"Wheres my charger" has become the mantra for this bunch?;)

Has anybody seen the cockpit of an airplane?

This stuff is within the capabilities of the human mind if approached with knowledge and discipline.

Yeah, I spent years in one and the difference is I have the time to monitor it all when I am cruising at altitude...and when I am on climb-out or approach, I don't have to worry about another aircraft cutting across my path.

Gotta say when I think about how quick a pilot of a fighter jet on mission has to make decisions and multitask.

Difference is, your average driver/rider on the road is at the other end of the spectrum of a fighter pilot. Hell, in comparison to drivers in Germany, drivers here are pathetic.

My take on all this is accidents can happen anywhere, and you may only have a second or less to react. If you happen to be "multi tasking" and not watching the road at that moment, your reaction will be delayed, or non existent. The analogy with pilots would be more valid if they had soccer moms turning left in front of them. Text, talk, compute if you must, but your putting yourself and others at risk.

Difference is, your average driver/rider on the road is at the other end of the spectrum of a fighter pilot. Hell, in comparison to drivers in Germany, drivers here are pathetic.

Fatalities in the US per 100 million miles driven = 1.4

Fatalities in Germany per 100 million miles driven = 1.3

Back