• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Saddlebags / Panniers

Has anyone ever mounted a set of the BMW Touring bags [approx 83-94? on airheads, and "K" bikes] on an Oilhead Roadster?

I have the system bags, and well...lets just say they're not my favorites. I prefer a more simple rectangular bag.

I'm sure with some thought & fabrication it can be done, and maybe even look nice...just thought I'd ask the brain-trust here as a place to start.

Thanks

Or a Pelican 1440 top loader

I don't want to hijack your thread but I too am driven nuts by the rounded shape of the system cases and the side loading feature. My R80RT had the larger, squarer, and more leak prone cases you might be thinking about. I wouldn't want them instead of my R1100R system cases, even if they mounted which I cannot believe they would. They are thin and brittle and are made to be supported by a loop around the rear bulge. The system cases are tougher and are made to hang which is a better system over all. I would love to adapt a (one) top loading Pelican 1440 ($140 on Amazon) to the non exhaust side of my bike and use the system case on the other. Franken cases! I would do Pelicans on both sides and buy a Caribou system if I wanted to spend that much! I don't.

I don't want to hijack your thread but I too am driven nuts by the rounded shape of the system cases and the side loading feature. My R80RT had the larger, squarer, and more leak prone cases you might be thinking about. I wouldn't want them instead of my R1100R system cases, even if they mounted which I cannot believe they would. They are thin and brittle and are made to be supported by a loop around the rear bulge. The system cases are tougher and are made to hang which is a better system over all. I would love to adapt a (one) top loading Pelican 1440 ($140 on Amazon) to the non exhaust side of my bike and use the system case on the other. Franken cases! I would do Pelicans on both sides and buy a Caribou system if I wanted to spend that much! I don't.

First...not a hijack {IMO}....so no prob..!

Are you sure we're speaking of the same cases ? There were [as far as I know], the "touring" , the "Integral" , and of course the older Krausers I'm not arguing your opinion &/or knowledge of the first two ...as I have never owned any. I did own Krausers for years.

I'm talking about the ones found mostly on the Mono-shock A/heads & "K" bikes. Not [exactly] sure which name is which ? But they were a more square / rectangle shape, BMW in block letters & a rectangular reflector.

You mentioned Pelicans ? Do you remember the old Bates bags ? popular on well...many bikes in the early 80s...How do you think those would look on a Roadster ? I happen to have a set upstairs in the garage.

Lets look

Lets look at these.

The first (I hope) is a BMW touring case like I had on my R80RT. They are large but not really rugged. Mine split on the cover and the plastic is brittle and not so strong. The metal frame they came with supported a section on the back. It kept the bag from breaking because they were not bolted on but were clamped at the back and had two built in tabs on the front that acted like hinges. I don't think they are very good cases and not as strong or waterproof as the later system cases.

The Second is a pelican case. Tough, a bit bigger than the system cases, rectangular, waterproof and did I say tough? There are systems for mounting them on special racks but I want one (or two) on my regular brackets on my R1100R. For the road these should be strong enough if the modified brackets work like the factory ones.

The third are Bates cases. I never owned any but I have used them (filled with ice and adult beverages back in the day) in a way I would never do today! They were fiberglas I believe and tough as nuts. They would not be my choice on a newer bike as they are IMHO ugly, narrow and the lids fly off.

Attachments

• TouringCase.jpg
    TouringCase.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 144
  • BatesCases.jpg
    BatesCases.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Pelican1440.jpg
    Pelican1440.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 144
Lets look at these.

The first (I hope) is a BMW touring case like I had on my R80RT. They are large but not really rugged. Mine split on the cover and the plastic is brittle and not so strong. The metal frame they came with supported a section on the back. It kept the bag from breaking because they were not bolted on but were clamped at the back and had two built in tabs on the front that acted like hinges. I don't think they are very good cases and not as strong or waterproof as the later system cases.

The Second is a pelican case. Tough, a bit bigger than the system cases, rectangular, waterproof and did I say tough? There are systems for mounting them on special racks but I want one (or two) on my regular brackets on my R1100R. For the road these should be strong enough if the modified brackets work like the factory ones.

The third are Bates cases. I never owned any but I have used them (filled with ice and adult beverages back in the day) in a way I would never do today! They were fiberglas I believe and tough as nuts. They would not be my choice on a newer bike as they are IMHO ugly, narrow and the lids fly off.

Well, that is the BMW case I was speaking of. You say they're not so good?...Drat! You think the Bates is uglier than the Pelican ?...Humm..might have to argue that one with ya :stick.

You mentioned that they were narrow, that is part of my goal , to narrow the bike in terms of throwing a leg over...a thing called arthritis has made it more difficult [some days] and I kick the crap out of the right bag. The Bates set I have, has hinged lids..open back to front...so that part is cured. Going to look at all the options. Yeah I know maybe I should trade it for a Cadilliac sedan ?...just not ready yet.....:p

I've got a R1100RS with the appropriate system cases, and I don't care for them either, especially after having gotten used to the BMW sidecases on my airhead. I wanted to use my R11RS as a commuter, so I bought a Givi V46 topcase. It fits my laptop bag when traveling and my helmet when parked. I removed the sidecases for daily use and they're gathering dust in my garage, waiting for a longer trip where I can stuff them full of...stuff.

I understand the issue of swinging the leg over, and having a topcase in the way doesn't make that any easier. But I absolutely love the Givi topcase.

Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question about installing the alternate sidecases, but rather than do that, I just got a decent topcase.

I've got a R1100RS with the appropriate system cases, and I don't care for them either, especially after having gotten used to the BMW sidecases on my airhead. I wanted to use my R11RS as a commuter, so I bought a Givi V46 topcase. It fits my laptop bag when traveling and my helmet when parked. I removed the sidecases for daily use and they're gathering dust in my garage, waiting for a longer trip where I can stuff them full of...stuff.

I understand the issue of swinging the leg over, and having a topcase in the way doesn't make that any easier. But I absolutely love the Givi topcase.

Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question about installing the alternate sidecases, but rather than do that, I just got a decent topcase.

I see your point...but I do travel quite a bit [retired] and as such have the cases are on most of the time. Is why I'm trying to narrow. I also use a trunk when I travel...I have an old Krauser that I have had for 30+ years...pop it off take it to the room. {IMO} this motorcycle isn't tank-bag friendly ? The 'humpy' tank combined with bar/back/risers...

No matter how hard someone tries, they can never successfully improve on BMW's original design in terms of asthetics. Seldom ever in terms of functionality, either.

Personally, I find "pour in from the top" saddlebags ridiculous. The key to BMW's side-opening bags is inner luggage.

Even with the very latest versions of the proposed bags, I doubt key matching with ignition, etc., is possible.

Key matching and inner luggage are nice parts of the "gentleman's express" nature of BMW bikes. The proposal is for "junkyard special" instead. Happens a lot to BMWs, and it's always sad.

Have you ever given any thought to using your present luggage with city lids? I have a set that I use except when I am touring and camping in which case I need more storage. City lids have practically no bulge and are basically flat. Easy to kick past with the right leg.
just a thought . . . .

Yes I have, but I would constantly be changing lids, as 'local' riding is now the lesser part [of] my riding, and trips are the more common.

No matter how hard someone tries, they can never successfully improve on BMW's original design in terms of asthetics. Seldom ever in terms of functionality, either.

Personally, I find "pour in from the top" saddlebags ridiculous. The key to BMW's side-opening bags is inner luggage.

Even with the very latest versions of the proposed bags, I doubt key matching with ignition, etc., is possible.

Key matching and inner luggage are nice parts of the "gentleman's express" nature of BMW bikes. The proposal is for "junkyard special" instead. Happens a lot to BMWs, and it's always sad.

Well ,...as noted before. Everyone doesn't do all things your way. And what you may think ridiculous , others may find fits their needs. As for the key, I am not so lazy, that I shutter at the thought of carrying two keys. And if you think my proposed modification to MY BMW , in an attempt to make it more user friendly for ME will somehow come out like a 'junkyard special' ?...well then it is truly sad that I have ruined your day..... so sorry :blush

system cases

I hope you get it all sorted out. I agree that we are all different in needs and perspectives. My airhead cases were fine at the time and before that the bates were fine on the old goldwings (75 and 78). Just keep looking and asking and someone will come along with a good fix for you.
The temperatures are just about to moderate enough in East Texas to start riding long days again so I look forward to getting back on the roads. The twistier the better!
Best Wishes
100_0480.JPG

A bit wider than the Bates.

Last edited:
I hope you get it all sorted out. I agree that we are all different in needs and perspectives. My airhead cases were fine at the time and before that the bates were fine on the old goldwings (75 and 78). Just keep looking and asking and someone will come along with a good fix for you.
The temperatures are just about to moderate enough in East Texas to start riding long days again so I look forward to getting back on the roads. The twistier the better!
Best Wishes

Thank you,

I mocked up one of the Bates bags this morning. It fits in nicely, and looks good. So far I like it better. As per measurements it will be a near six inch difference in width overall when completed. I'm thinking that will make a big difference...throwin'a leg.

Great

Let us know what you go with and include a picture. I'm wiling to take a look and perhaps the Bates bags will look so good I'll have to take back my "Ugly" comment. I do understand the getting on and off issue being only 5'8" and older'n dirt. I have put the bike on the side stand and used it as a prop to get on. The main reason for giving up my R80RT and buying a R1100R is the lower center of gravity and a bit lighter and lower! Perhaps a Burgman is in my future.

Let us know what you go with and include a picture. I'm wiling to take a look and perhaps the Bates bags will look so good I'll have to take back my "Ugly" comment. I do understand the getting on and off issue being only 5'8" and older'n dirt. I have put the bike on the side stand and used it as a prop to get on. The main reason for giving up my R80RT and buying a R1100R is the lower center of gravity and a bit lighter and lower! Perhaps a Burgman is in my future.

For sure I will [if I can figure how] post pics when completed. I'm tall enough [6'1"] it's just that when my arthritis is acting up, I loose range-of-motion. in my hip, as such my foot drags across. It's not every day...but too darn often.

Sorry,

My "solution" to the "big bag" problem is to put the bike on the center stand and climb over on the pegs.

Getting back off again, still needs some work.

I thought heck, if I had a powered center stand I could roll up and hit the button, and dismount with dignity.
No matter how wide the luggage is.

Sorry,

My "solution" to the "big bag" problem is to put the bike on the center stand and climb over on the pegs.

Getting back off again, still needs some work.

I thought heck, if I had a powered center stand I could roll up and hit the button, and dismount with dignity.
No matter how wide the luggage is.

Now I understand..

I do use the pegs sometimes. But I have Wunderlich adjustable's and I weigh'bout 280. so I have concerns about how much of that they can take?

Back