• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

N-Com or Other Suggestions

iseeGold

I'm in the market for a Modular helmet, the Nolan N103 was my first choice and a communication system (mainly for bluetooth use). Any advise on this matter (other than, "shut up and ride") would be greatly appreciated.

Just up-graded from a Nolan N-100 to the NCOM 103. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't really comment on it I guess.

But everything I read was mostly positive (some said it was too heavy) and spent the money. Didn't buy the Bluetooth kit, but will prob. up-grade some time next year.:brow

We Like

We have had the Nolan for a few years and the new nolan with the Bluetooth for about 4 months now. I would say without a doubt it is great. The wireless system is so simple and there is not an activation spot where you have to yell or thump the mike to get it going it is hot all the time you dont miss the first six words of the conversation.
Shop around there are probally a 50 $ each set spread over the internet for the system.
Only thing we did notice is the going into a building like our metal garage and getting a sheet wall of metal between the two will disconect them . Otherwise they work when you get off and walk around you can still talk.
Personally purist may not like intercoms but the way we see it four eyes and ears are better than two and lots of times the wife sees and hears what I miss and it helps in the outcome. Were firm believer in passenger , rider communication especially from a safty standpoint.
Lots of bucks for the start up but you will find them worth it.
Jim and Esther

Got One

I bought a N103 about 6 weeks ago. I have riden about 3k since then, 2k on a K75 with a windsheild and 1k on a R65 with no sheild. The N103 works well in both cases. I don't have N-Com (too cheap)

I'm in the market for a Modular helmet, the Nolan N103 was my first choice and a communication system (mainly for bluetooth use). Any advise on this matter (other than, "shut up and ride") would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the Bluetooth N-Com system for my N102 in July at the Gillette rally. I did it to have a way to hear my radar detector without using speaker ear plugs, and to see overall how the system worked. The Bluetooth connects fine, and I can even use it to take phone calls (Ok- before you all go off on me, I commute on a bike almost all year, and you wouldn't believe how handy it is to get a call from the SO about something to bring home in the evening from the grocery store. Besides - it is "hands free". :hide)

However, this is a monaural system, so listening to music is out, and even if it were stereo, the sound quality just wouldn't cut it. The N-Com speakers are clearly for voice and warning (beeps) only. Interestingly, I found that I have to use ear plugs to hear it at speed. Without ear plugs, the wind/road noise drowns out the speakers, but with them, I can turn up the volume and hear voice communications fine. I don't have a passenger setup yet, but based on the phone calls I've been on, people say they can hear me just fine, and are amazed that I'm on the bike doing freeway speeds. Since I have to use ear plugs anyway, I'm going to use the E.A.R. speaker units I have for my 'toons.

Overall, the system is easy to use, and the battery lasts for a couple of days. How well you'd like it has much to do with what you want it to do.

The system for the NCOM 103 is suppose to be stereo, so you can listen to your music too. :drink

Noisey!!

I purchased a 103 about a month ago and have ridden about 500+ miles with it. I really like the helmet with the exception of it being very noisy... my old BRP Modular 2 snowmobile helmet is by far quieter and cost me 1/3 less. If you can try and ride before you buy by all means do so.

Back