• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Housing around Atlanta

MOONDOG59

I just scored a job in the Atlanta area (actually right near the northside of the airport). And I am looking for guidance on the best part around Atlanta, if there is one. I hear the commutes are a nightmare but a job is a job and I digress, or if you have an apartment that accepts cats. Or leads to decent housing, preferable furnished. It is a three month position with the chance to go longer. I have one motorcycle and two cats and my furnishing is in storage in Savannah. That can wait.

Last edited:
What part of Atlanta will you be working in? Will it be a normal "8-5" job? Commutes vary wildly here and you'll be best off either living close to work or finding a reverse commute. My wife commutes 15 miles in about 22-25 minutes most days and it's all against the normal flow of traffic. We live within a few miles of my job so I have a really short commute for Atlanta, <10 minutes.
Let me know roughly where your new job will be and I'll try to give you some guidance.

Another good tip is to look at Google maps (with traffic selected) for your intended route, or use Georgia Navigator. They both will give you a real time picture of the traffic if you check at at rush hour (for most main roads). Some sections of the perimeter (I-285) and 75/85 are always a mess and you want to avoid them.

What part of Atlanta will you be working in? Will it be a normal "8-5" job? Commutes vary wildly here and you'll be best off either living close to work or finding a reverse commute. My wife commutes 15 miles in about 22-25 minutes most days and it's all against the normal flow of traffic. We live within a few miles of my job so I have a really short commute for Atlanta, <10 minutes.
Let me know roughly where your new job will be and I'll try to give you some guidance.

Another good tip is to look at Google maps (with traffic selected) for your intended route, or use Georgia Navigator. They both will give you a real time picture of the traffic if you check at at rush hour (for most main roads). Some sections of the perimeter (I-285) and 75/85 are always a mess and you want to avoid them.

Will be working on Virginia Ave on the northside of the airport. Yes, 8 to 5. My brother suggested the west side out torwards Douglasville. But not knowing the area and more familiar with dinky little states like Connecticut, that could be a four hour trip. He suggested "something Creek Road". I am just trying to get a feel for the area. I guess I am in for a rude awakening when it comes to traffic jams.

And while I have you what is the local BMW group? I may not be there long but want to try and get some riding in :)

Last edited:
Housing...

If you like Road Atlanta or being outside the perimeter, I have a house for sale/rent in Braselton, GA, which is up I-85 near Chateau Elan. 3 BR, 2.5 BA, 2 car garage, neighborhood clubhouse and pool membership as well. My email is runnr548@gmail.com
:thumb

Your brother was probably talking about Camp Creek Parkway. Yes, it would be close, but that corridor is not one of the safer parts of Atlanta. I' d suggest you head south, towards Fairburn. There are some clean, secure furnished apartment options down that way. The early morning commute is not going to be that bad compared to living North and trying to go through downtown each morning.

Here's a link to one that I found in the area that advertises furnished units: http://www.cambridgefaire.com/templates/template_concept04_hex/default.asp?w=cambridgefaire I'm only sharing this as an example - I have never lived in Fairburn, just passed through and it seemed like a nice little community. I would guess you'd have a 20-30 minute commute if you get to work before 7:45. Every now and then there could be a problem but you would have some alternate roads you could take to get to work.

As far as local riding groups, if you like to ride with other Beemer owners, there is a BMW Owners group of Georgia. The web site is here http://www.bmwmoga.info/index.php. They have monthly meetings and rides. I belong to the group but I haven't participated in any group activities due to schedule conflicts. I hope to catch a group event later this summer.

I see you have a K1100RS. If you like Motorcycle camping there is an upcoming event in the NC Blue RIdge mountains for Klassic K bike owners. Great area and you'd be among fellow motobrickers. http://brickbattalion.weebly.com/klassic-k-kampout.html

The best riding around here is in the North Georgia mountains. Dahlonega is sort of the central hub of the foothills and from there you can head off in several directions and find lots of great roads. Locally the area is known as the Six Gap. Among the best gaps to ride is Wolfpen Gap-Highway 180, but they're all fun and spectacular in the fall when the leaves change colors.

Congrats on the new job and hope it turns into something permanent for you.

I live in Newnan GA, about 20 min south on I 85 of the Atl airport. It's the best commute in Atlanta. Consider anything from Fairburn to Tyrone, Peachtree City and Newnan. These communities are safe and an easy commute to the Atl airport.

I live in Newnan GA, about 20 min south on I 85 of the Atl airport. It's the best commute in Atlanta. Consider anything from Fairburn to Tyrone, Peachtree City and Newnan. These communities are safe and an easy commute to the Atl airport.

Although I live north of the city i have to agree with the Newnan area and points south. If you're north, east or west you'll have to go through or around the city to get to Virginia Ave unless you're in East Point, Hapeville or College Park. Like he said, Newnan and the others are straight shot. As a plus you really don't hear many traffic problems either on the traffic reports on the news.

Atlanta Job and Lodging

I too work around the airport but live NE about 55 miles. Ugly commute
If you are on a 3 month gig or longer, Peachtree City, a little town called Tyron next to it or Newnan. All should have apartments or short term housing.
Stay out of College Park, East Point

Truely the "best" riding is North and North east GA. I can show you some marvelous roads. Welcome

Mark 2001 K1200rs, dog lover

I actually live in a very nice area off Camp Creek Pkwy near Fulton Industrial Blvd; it is an area about 12 miles from the airport without any commute problems as it is just the access highway to the airport.

I have seen some newer apartments about 5 miles from here on the way to the airport, the community's name is Walton Lakes and it has walking trails, a golf course next door, a lake, and it is just 3 miles from all major shopping and 15 miles from downtown.

Not a pedestrian area as you will need the car or bike to go almost anywhere, but that is just how it is in the Atlanta metro.

Your commute would be about 8 miles

Check it out just to have it as a possibility.

If you like Road Atlanta or being outside the perimeter, I have a house for sale/rent in Braselton, GA, which is up I-85 near Chateau Elan. 3 BR, 2.5 BA, 2 car garage, neighborhood clubhouse and pool membership as well. My email is runnr548@gmail.com
I appreciate the offer but that's too much house for my needs. It is just three of us, me, myself and I, two cats and the motorcycle.

For all those following this thread, I found a place in Fairburn. It is twenty minutes from my work address. A gated community with a garage for the bike and they allow cats. Two bedroom and a three month lease. Everyone contributed information into the formula so thank you all

Great to hear that you found a good place to rent; when are you moving? Let me know if you can use some help.

Back