• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Possibly Transmission/ shifting question for the group- 2000 R 1100S w/ 40K

somen

My son has a 2000 R1100 S that he loves. It has never been abused and has 40K on it. Yesterday everything was perfect- today he upshifted leaving his neighborhood and nothing happened. There was a "rubbing whirring" sound but no gear change. Lever shifts up and down but no gear engaged. Thank you in advance for your thoughts. Hoping it does not need a new transmission.

Welcome to the forum somen.
Sorry to hear about sons bike.

does the sound change when clutch is engaged? First thought is a stripped hub on the clutch plate and/or input shaft on transmission. There are a few transmission guys here that should reply soon.

I it makes scary noises with changes in pitch based on clutch and throttle input, with no forward movement, your clutch hub is stripped, and your input shaft damaged.

Thank you for the quick responses!

We will check the pitch sounds tonight and I'll send in the "findings". Thanks a million

Thanks for the quick responses!

My son just got back to me and said all he noticed were (2) completely different "noises" when the clutch was engaged and disengaged.

My son just got back to me and said all he noticed were (2) completely different "noises" when the clutch was engaged and disengaged.

One quick test is to put the bike on the center stand, put the transmission in gear and spin the back wheel by hand. Does it spin freely? Where does the mystery noise seem to be coming from? Removing the starter from the bell housing and looking in there while you spin will confirm the splines are not engaged and you should hear the metal on metal noise clearly.

If that's the case and bike won't go... it sounds like stripped splines. If so the transmission needs to come out and a new input spline installed. The best guy closest to you to do that job is probably Anton Largadair in North Carolina. Contac info here: http://www.largiader.com/shop/contact/

If the input spline is stripped then the clutch hub is likely shot also so a new clutch disc will be needed. The mating surfaces of the clutch may also be warped and Anton has recommended here that the entire assembly be replaced to avoid any further engagement issues.

and I am assuming no forward motion in any gear. It should be noticeably "bad" noise.
google "bmw r1150r worn clutch hub" and enjoy the research

Back