• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Schuberth C3 helmets

Thank you for your well thought out opinion, Kevin.

I only wish you were around to mentor me when I started riding motorcycles 56 years ago.

<sigh> I have so much to learn from your wise counsel.

Doesn't compressing part of the helmet's foam diminish that area's protective quality? To me it seems that you'd wind up with a helmet that is "pre-crashed" and ought to be returned to the manufacturer for the free post-crash inspection they offer.

Not when you're only compressing small hot-spot areas roughly 1/8 of an inch. After sitting a little, the area then recovers to about 1/16 of an inch - which is why you may have to spoon the same area several times. The adjustments are so small that a proper shell may recover 100 percent several times before it stays compressed a little.

With the Schuberth, most that need to work it down some are doing so only at the extreme left and right of the temple. That's teh area the the foam shell is split. The minute amount of this adjustment does not diminish the crash protection.

Thank you for your well thought out opinion, Kevin.

I only wish you were around to mentor me when I started riding motorcycles 56 years ago.

<sigh> I have so much to learn from your wise counsel.

Not opinion, fact. Denial is powerful when you have to buy the latest and greatest.

Kevin, the alternative was buying a helmet that was dangerously loose (next size larger). Thank you, but I'll play with the spoons to have a helmet that won't fly off when you need it.

A good fitting helmet should fit right. You bought the wrong helmet for your head. Not everyone needs a Schuberth. Again, prying on it with kitchen utensils is the first clue you bought the wrong helmet.

Doesn't compressing part of the helmet's foam diminish that area's protective quality? To me it seems that you'd wind up with a helmet that is "pre-crashed" and ought to be returned to the manufacturer for the free post-crash inspection they offer.

YES, YES, YES ! ! ! This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. It is like lemmings jumping off a cliff with the wrong size helmet.

I bought a Schuberth years ago when they were originally available in the US. The fitting technique was to intentionally buy it with it "feeling too tight". After awhile, it form fitted to the head and was no problem-perfect fit.

I love this thread, I just can't help myself. The options are such a wide variety, although I know I am closed minded and know that my opinion is the only one that counts....I 150% agree with Jogitu. But if I was stuck with an ill fitting helmet I guess I would try all options including spooning the darn thing.... Impulsive buys do bring this up (not just in buying helmets)

Most important lession here is knowing your helmet shape, knowing your size, doing a ton of research and then trying the darn thing on for about 20 mins. webbikeworld is great information.

I am in the process of getting a knew helmet and will try the Nolan N104 and the Shoei Neotec. Both have a different internal shape and I believe I will end up with the N104, but I want to double check and if neither fit right I will go back to my exsisting helmet, a Shoei X-11 and fits my lemon perfect. I can't see myself spending $1000.00 on a helmet in my lifetime. That is excess, but I understand why people do it. For me it must be fit, craftsmanship/quality, price and features.

To be continued......:lurk

you might consider a Skorpion. I have the modular, and coming from the Schuberth, it's quite excellent and a good fit. I've had it two years, now, and the internal shade hasn't crapped out like the Schuberth's did after 1 month.

I did like my Schuberth, I wore it out! When it came time to replace mine, they weren't selling in the USA.

A good fitting helmet should fit right. You bought the wrong helmet for your head. Not everyone needs a Schuberth. Again, prying on it with kitchen utensils is the first clue you bought the wrong helmet.

Take a deep breath.................. now let it out........... again................ :heart

For all you that are oh so critical of the helmets, I would venture to say that you don't have a Schuberth, and probably have never seen the inside of one. The problem is not poor helmet fit... it is one of poor design. On the front of the internal webbing that provides some of the support, there is a 1 inch strip of webbing that is sewn on the outside (head side) of the internal support webbing. This strip is oriented vertically, is right in the middle of your forehead, and is raised above the rest of the support material. It is this strip that causes the red spots and pain. If it were not there, there would be no problem. If it was sewn on the inside (helmet side) of the support, it would likely not be an issue either. Fit (for me, at least) is fine. I did wear the helmet in the dealer shop for a while before purchasing, and this was not apparent at the time. Those of us who want the integrated BMW headsets have no choice but to get this helmet. We are not caving in the entire front of the helmet... just the area where this strip is, and not by much. I'll accept the compromise.

Red Devil Mark of an angry forehead

I have 22k miles in this helmet that I also bought because of the Bluetooth custom add-on.
I hurt so bad - what a stupid design to have the helmet rest on your forehead and have all that sewing right there! I finally bought a sweat liner - that keeps the helmet 1mm off my fo'hd and works...but damn does that get hot in summer heat. The C3 sucks for ventilation - 2 little ports on top and the crap mouth vent that does nothing behind a windshield....
I'm really not impressed with this helmet except for the quiet - sounds like closing a car door on a German car - thunk and quiet....
The cheek pads are just as tight as when I bought it and oh by the way - NO they do NOT have other pads you can buy. I checked.

I will try the spoon thing tonite and report back in a couple of days.

thanks for the write-up - I'm glad I'm not the only one pissed that I spent $1100 for pain.

Ventalation sucks????

Pull the liner down at the front. There's a winter flap right where the rib with the label and the main cross piece meet. Make sure the flap is folded forward. When you fold it all back into the helmet - you should be able to see the two vent holes in the foam. Also, pop the top cover off and clean and make sure the vent holes are clear.

Ventalation is one thing no one I know that has the holes uncovered complains about. I live in the desert southwest [house in Clovis, NM, house in Tucson, AZ] - trust me when I tell you it gets hot here. This is the best you cna do for ventalation.

Ventalation sucks????

Pull the liner down at the front. There's a winter flap right where the rib with the label and the main cross piece meet. Make sure the flap is folded forward. When you fold it all back into the helmet - you should be able to see the two vent holes in the foam. Also, pop the top cover off and clean and make sure the vent holes are clear.

Ventalation is one thing no one I know that has the holes uncovered complains about. I live in the desert southwest [house in Clovis, NM, house in Tucson, AZ] - trust me when I tell you it gets hot here. This is the best you cna do for ventalation.

I agree - I really like the ventilation - I love going down the road and opening the vents just to feel the air go over the top of my hair - it's kind of a neat feeling and it feels good!

So I read the German Motorrad Mag every 2 weeks and I was awaiting their flip test results... before the end results they clearly marked that folks in this market buy a helmet due to price, how it looks and most of all fit. For me fit is the most important, then price then how it looks....and the results of the top 5:.....

1. Shoei Neotec with 87/100 points (they noted how rediculously expensive it is)
2. HJC R-Pha Max with 86/100 points (this helmet is not yet available in the US, according to Revzilla it is due to be release in the fall) Prices suggest around $400.00.
3. Schuberth C3 with 86/100 points (they report sinfully expensive helmet that is showing some of his age, multiple reports of ill fitting to customers)
4. BMW System 6 with 84/100 points (not available in the US)
5. Nolan N-104 with 73/100 points (they report a difficult opening system for the untrained EMS worker to open the lid up)

I can't find any helmet shape references for the HJC R-Pha Max or the BMW System 6 helmets, but do know that the Shoei and Schuberth are rated as Neutral helmet shape and the Nolan as a slightly narrow. Just like the webbikeworld.com report says: head shape and therefore helmet fit may just decide which helmet one should purchase.....

Those of us who want the integrated BMW headsets have no choice but to get this helmet.

Wait, are you saying that the only helmet that offers Bluetooth integration with BMW audio systems is the Schuberth C3? I'd like to know more about this, like what model motorcycles have it and will any non-BMW Bluetooth helmet systems work with them.

Mark M,

Depends on wht level of integration you are looking for. If you want to listen to the radio, have BT intercom, control headset volume from the multicontroller, GPS verbal directions, and BT phone all at the same time, then as far as I know, the BMW system integrated into the Schuberth is the only one that can do it ALL. Other systems will do parts of all this, but not all. I spent quite a while going through all this with the dealer 3 months ago. If all you want to do is link to the GPS, then you can use about anything that is compatible with your GPS system. I rarely listen to the radio, but all the rest of it works as advertised once you get everything paired. The dealer had a Scala BT system they would sell me, but it would only do 80% or so of the functions. Others may be different.

Mark M,

Depends on wht level of integration you are looking for. If you want to listen to the radio, have BT intercom, control headset volume from the multicontroller, GPS verbal directions, and BT phone all at the same time, then as far as I know, the BMW system integrated into the Schuberth is the only one that can do it ALL. Other systems will do parts of all this, but not all. I spent quite a while going through all this with the dealer 3 months ago. If all you want to do is link to the GPS, then you can use about anything that is compatible with your GPS system. I rarely listen to the radio, but all the rest of it works as advertised once you get everything paired. The dealer had a Scala BT system they would sell me, but it would only do 80% or so of the functions. Others may be different.

May I please ask clarification - are you only talking about BMW stuff that's on the bike -- like the bike radio that comes with the RT or the gps system that comes with the new K16GT - you're not talking about stand alone systems like a Garmin gps - is that right???

I believe this system is the only one that's fully integrated with the systems on the K1600, but it's the same system as the Cardo G4, which should also work. This essentially is a deconstructed G4 placed into a collar that fits the Schuberth helmet.

Back