• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to estimate the mileage left on a set of tires

I just installed my 4th set of Z6's tonight. Looked at my log book and found that I get between 9800 and 12,000 miles to a set. This last rear ( and one other rear) had cord showing down the center with about 1.4 mm depth to the center most wear bar. The cord appeared and became readily apparent within 30 miles:doh

If you've got 10,000 miles on 'em, I'd change 'em

Tom

I don't know how you guys get 10K out of a Z6. This one was just over 7K.

67325020-M.jpg

The Z6 has no grooves in the middle, so it is hard to tell how wore they are. This one snuck on me, especially with the low mileage. It was the last Z6 I bought or will buy.

Yes, I also apply the "SIBUD" method. When the threads show, I take a look and estimate that the tire is about done for.

67325020-M.jpg

The Z6 has no grooves in the middle, so it is hard to tell how wore they are. This one snuck on me, especially with the low mileage. It was the last Z6 I bought or will buy.

the other 3K is still residing in the sidewalls!:D

I went to Michelins after two of those showed with under 7K each time...pressure checked weekly and one up riding under warp speed(usually)

I don't think that I've ever gotten over 7k miles front or rear on my oilhead RS.

I get 8-10k out of the Avon AV45/46 on my R11RS. Great handling tire, all the grip I need (and my bike has no chicken strips,) and great mileage. I gave up on Metzelers long ago.

67325020-M.jpg

Do you ever take corners???

that tire looks like it's worn flat across the entire width.. almost squared sidewalls, like a car tire..

Back