• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Car info,r.e., 2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i

kantuckid

Just in case someone has this car I'd like to hear your comments,thanks!
The new 4 cyl engine in particular is part of my search.

One of the features that always attracted me to BMWs was their line of 6-cyl engines, because of the smoothness and velvety feel at the throttle.
I am no fan of small displacement 4-cyl engines. It doesn't matter to me, whether their hp and torque output is equal or greater of that of the 6es they replace.
4-cylinders feel rough, nervous and unrefined. In general, you have to operate them at a higher rpm to get the same performance.
If fuel mileage is very important to you, the turbo-charged, direct injection 4s are a good choice. But then again, why not go for a Toyota Prius?

Just in case someone has this car I'd like to hear your comments,thanks!
The new 4 cyl engine in particular is part of my search.

A model from the third year of production after a new model introduction has always been my best guideline for happiness with a BMW car. It does take them a while to work-out the new model gremlins, in my experience.

You're in Kentucky, why 4-wheel drive?

One of the features that always attracted me to BMWs was their line of 6-cyl engines, because of the smoothness and velvety feel at the throttle.
I am no fan of small displacement 4-cyl engines. It doesn't matter to me, whether their hp and torque output is equal or greater of that of the 6es they replace.
4-cylinders feel rough, nervous and unrefined. In general, you have to operate them at a higher rpm to get the same performance.
If fuel mileage is very important to you, the turbo-charged, direct injection 4s are a good choice. But then again, why not go for a Toyota Prius?

I've owned three BMW bikes and six BMW cars............and never had a speeding ticket. I got a speeding citation in a Prius on the day my wife bought her car. The policeman nearly crapped his pants trying not to laugh as he handed me the citation.

We currently have a 128i with the inline 6. We test drove a 328i a few weeks ago with the inline 4. I thought the inline 4 was great engine. I could not feel any difference by the seat of my pants. Both cars continue to push you into your seat the more you press on the gas. We are considering moving to the 328, mainly for the change in MPG, but the reports coming out are that the combined MPG on the new 4 is 28 MPG and our card currently gets about 23, so don't know if we are willing to only gain 5 MPG for cost of a "new" car. There will have to some other factor, need more room etc. I wouldn't really worry about the engine. If we do buy one, it will be a service loaner from our local dealer. They sell them with about 2-3K on the clock for substantial savings. Add in the CPO warranty and you get a new car covered up to 100K miles and you don't take the initial depreciation hit. Our 1 was a loaner and it has been problem free.

A model from the third year of production after a new model introduction has always been my best guideline for happiness with a BMW car. It does take them a while to work-out the new model gremlins, in my experience.

You're in Kentucky, why 4-wheel drive?
I live back in the woods in a "how do you get here in the winter kind of place"-says visitors! Seriously, winter is a fact of life here, it's not FL!FWIW, we are gardening zone 5 & we have had several frosts and been in 20's already. Global warming aside, of course! Snowed ~3" this week on Tuesday.

Last edited:
The new turbo/4 is a premium only gas engine and has higher compression than past cars so may not like fudging over to 87 fuel. A Prius is not going to happen for me. I'm also looking @ the XC60 AWD Volvo

Biggest question with BMW cars these days is can you live with run-flat tires?
Lots of people take them off-if you read my older posts you will learn of my exp with them & understand why I think they are... -well I'll keep it to- I don't want them on my car...

The new turbo/4 is a premium only gas engine and has higher compression than past cars so may not like fudging over to 87 fuel. A Prius is not going to happen for me. I'm also looking @ the XC60 AWD Volvo

Yes, saving fuel and saving on cost of a gallon of fuel are mutually exclusive. High compression = efficiency. The legislation considers only the former.

That is a common misconception. Modern engines all have knock sensors to adjust the ignition and avoid the ill effects of lower octane gas. the OEMs call high octane fuel out on the filler cap, but most dealers tell you it is O.K. to use regular gas. My wife and I do in both our Audis. No problems for 3 years now.

In the past I ran 87 in many BMW & Audi cars through 2008 models-the new BMW 4 cyl turbos are not the same situation.I talked to a couple of current techs & they said mid grade is the minimum to avoid problems with that engine. I never experienced a fuel related issue with the 6cyl cars on 87. OTOH, my 2003 R1150R runs great on 87. I am leaning now toward a wait to see what the near future,say next 2 years brings in cars.

That is a common misconception. Modern engines all have knock sensors to adjust the ignition and avoid the ill effects of lower octane gas. the OEMs call high octane fuel out on the filler cap, but most dealers tell you it is O.K. to use regular gas. My wife and I do in both our Audis. No problems for 3 years now.

This is wishful thinking.

The "ill effects" you'll experience if you do indeed use regular are reduced igntion advance and consequently reduced power and fuel economy. It's false economy for sure. The whole notion of trust the dealer and don't trust the manufacturer is completely and utterly foolish.

reduced power

And sluggishness. Other than my 85 R80ST, I've never had any success running anything less than premium in a BMW bike or car. My 89 525i gets sluggish enough with mid-grade, that I wouldn't even consider 87.

The M-I-L bought a 2013 328i last week. She came over on Saturday and I got my first look inside and under the hood.

I can't stand that video display erupting out of the top of the dash. That thing couldn't look more after-market/less integrated into the dash. Put a flat-screen computer monitor on the dash of your existing car and you'll get a feel for the size of the video display panel on the 3-series dash.

Then I peeked under the hood, expecting to see the famous BMW straight-six. I had no idea BMW cages were using a turbocharged four. I had to count spark plug leads to convince myself it wasn't a straight six.

I lost interest in further explorations after making that discovery. Twin-turbo V8 in the M3? Sure thing! Turbo straight six? No problem!

Turbo straight-four? No thanks.

You have to jump into a 5 series to get a 6 now... Runflats are on a bunch of mfg's cars now too... BMW is said to be coming out with more diesels in the spring

Here's what to know about runflat tires ...

Yes, you can drive on them when they're deflated ...

... but, that ruins the tire and you'll have to replace it.

Running on one that's flat is limited to 50 miles at 50 mph

Runflat tires for your BMW are very likely only to be found at your BMW dealer or via mail order.

Tire shops with special equipment to remove/install runflat tires are few and far between, likely nonexistent in rural areas.

Runflats are hard riding.

Runflats are expensive.

Where I live I can easily be 100-200 miles from anybody capable of working with runflat tires let alone having any in stock. I can easily be 100 miles from a town of any kind.

You can replace runflats with regular tires, but then you're faced with the fact the car was not designed with any space for a spare tire.

Here's what to know about runflat tires ...

Yes, you can drive on them when they're deflated ...

... but, that ruins the tire and you'll have to replace it.

Running on one that's flat is limited to 50 miles at 50 mph

Runflat tires for your BMW are very likely only to be found at your BMW dealer or via mail order.

Tire shops with special equipment to remove/install runflat tires are few and far between, likely nonexistent in rural areas.

Runflats are hard riding.

Runflats are expensive.

Where I live I can easily be 100-200 miles from anybody capable of working with runflat tires let alone having any in stock. I can easily be 100 miles from a town of any kind.

You can replace runflats with regular tires, but then you're faced with the fact the car was not designed with any space for a spare tire.

With the newer 3-series being as big or larger than an older 5-series..........why don't they have any room for a spare???:dunno

My next vehicle purchase will be a new or newer Tacoma when either the 89 525 or the 91 4x4 dies.........which might be a while

On my 2008 328 sedan the space for the tire was filled with stuff that makes the car go-not a place for the tire. My 2010 Cadillac CTS has a "spare tire option" meaning a donut rather than a can of tire goop. Read my older posts awhile back,r.e. BMW runflats. They are crap on any car. Also not mentioned above,I'll ad that they have no jack or lug wrench in the cars either, even "IF"! you had a place for a spare. I'm not sure I understand this "having the right equipment" as I dismounted mine at my local hillbilly tire place? Pretty straight forward as I observed plus it's a process I'm very familiar with. The real issue was that my runflat "awakening" came with the fact that the tire was starting to disintegrate inside toward outside of carcass after only 50 miles & having kept it under 50 MPH as you're supposed too. That's not good! You could not touch the tire when I got home as too hot. Take my word they are crap.

On my 2008 328 sedan the space for the tire was filled with stuff that makes the car go-not a place for the tire. My 2010 Cadillac CTS has a "spare tire option" meaning a donut rather than a can of tire goop. Read my older posts awhile back,r.e. BMW runflats. They are crap on any car. Also not mentioned above,I'll ad that they have no jack or lug wrench in the cars either, even "IF"! you had a place for a spare. I'm not sure I understand this "having the right equipment" as I dismounted mine at my local hillbilly tire place? Pretty straight forward as I observed plus it's a process I'm very familiar with. The real issue was that my runflat "awakening" came with the fact that the tire was starting to disintegrate inside toward outside of carcass after only 50 miles & having kept it under 50 MPH as you're supposed too. That's not good! You could not touch the tire when I got home as too hot. Take my word they are crap.

It seems you solved the problem by buying the Cadillac.

Back