• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K-Bike Odometer fix FYI

S

SweetT

I had the odometer on my K75 go out twice due to worn and broken gears. There are 4 plastic reduction gears that allow the small electric motor in the odometer to turn the numbers over. I had to replace all of my gears as several teeth broke off. I asked Jeff at www.odometergears.com to make a set for me and he now has them for sale.

I know I saw a few threads recently with people who had the same problem with their odometer that I have, so I thought I'd let everyone know that there is a fix out there that doesn't require buying a new gauge pod.

Tarren Shaw said:
I had the odometer on my K75 go out twice due to worn and broken gears. There are 4 plastic reduction gears that allow the small electric motor in the odometer to turn the numbers over. I had to replace all of my gears as several teeth broke off. I asked Jeff at www.odometergears.com to make a set for me and he now has them for sale.

I know I saw a few threads recently with people who had the same problem with their odometer that I have, so I thought I'd let everyone know that there is a fix out there that doesn't require buying a new gauge pod.

Terrific to hear! I'm making this posting a sticky!

Speedometer

Tarren Shaw said:

I recently asked about the subject. The results were good but a problem showed up. It takes a special tool to remove the needle without distroying the needle, shaft or face.

I got it fixed in Houston at a place - cost was $165.00

n5xwb said:
I recently asked about the subject. The results were good but a problem showed up. It takes a special tool to remove the needle without distroying the needle, shaft or face.

Donn - who told you a special tool is needed?

Gently prying from beneath the needle, with the jaws gently closed around the speedo shaft - using needlenose pliers works quite well. A bit of padding under the pliers will keep from marring the face.

BTDT more than once on lots of needle type instruments. The needles are a press fit on the shaft.

Just curious where you heard/found out a "special tool" is needed..

deilenberger said:
Donn - who told you a special tool is needed?

Gently prying from beneath the needle, with the jaws gently closed around the speedo shaft - using needlenose pliers works quite well. A bit of padding under the pliers will keep from marring the face.

BTDT more than once on lots of needle type instruments. The needles are a press fit on the shaft.

Just curious where you heard/found out a "special tool" is needed..

I tried your suggestion and it didn't work here. That was the reason for taking it to a local place. I did note a small metal tab that I thought was the needle lock. I did push up and down while lightly pulling up on the needle with no luck. I was worried about damage to the face or the mechanism.

I invision a tool with a like pliers with a v cut out

Tarren Shaw said:

I had occasion to try to help a fellow in AUS and found that the gears in a KM speedo are different...naturally. Is there any interest in making this set as well?
Jack Hawley

K bike speedo fix

Some guy on Ebay suggested:
Speedometer.com - Home of Overseas Speedometer & Instrument Service

Has anyone else found similarly beemer friendly outfits for speedo rebuilds?

RandallIsland said:
Some guy on Ebay suggested:
Speedometer.com - Home of Overseas Speedometer & Instrument Service

Has anyone else found similarly beemer friendly outfits for speedo rebuilds?
Overseas Speedometer is a great place in our experience. We sent a clock there which they told us was not economically repairable but we wanted to repair it anyway for the face color, etc. The owner said if anyone could do it, it would be him. And he did a fine job.

Speedometer parts

Hey BMW Kbike folks;

By looking all over the net I came up with a source for the gears on my 1987 K100lt. It was very easy to fix and is working. I found out from him NOT to lubricate any parts because oil eats the gears.

The hardest part of the work was getting it off without removing the fairing.

73 de Donn Washburn Hpage:" http://www.hal-pc.org/~n5xwb "
Ham Callsign N5XWB Email: " n5xwb@hal-pc.org "
307 Savoy St. HAMs : " n5xwb@arrl.net "
Sugar Land, TX 77478 BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
LL# 1.281.242.3256 VoIP via Skype: n5xwbg
" http://counter.li.org " #279316

Great information and I see that this is also good information for the Airhead riders. Thanks, I hope that I don't have to use them, but just in case... good to know.... :brad

I live in Houston with a dead speedo on my K75. Where is that magic place?

Thanks

Thanks

What is dead on it? Usually the contacts inside which can be fixed by soldering jumpers around them (the only permanant fix). Or if the needle sticks, then it is the face plates warping. Time consuming, but fixable. Lastly it would be the gears and then only the odometer quits working.

Sure hope it wasn't done by Austin Speedo

Thanks

I had mine fixed by Austin Speedo and it lasted about 2 weeks before their sorry part broke again. It also cost me $165.00 and had zero warranty. I will never recommend Austin Speedometer in downtown Houston again.

I finally fixed it myself with gears made by a guy I found on the INET. order@odometergears.com 757.593.3478.
Jeff Caplin Please tell him I mentioned him to you

Donn Washburn aka N5XWB

Help needed on speedo light.

Help needed on somewhat the same subject.
I have a 1985 K100RT I am reserrecting. Problem, the dash lights stay on after
the switch is turned off. If I pull the pos cable on the battery, light go off.
What would keep the dash lights on after engine shut down???:help :help

solution.

I bought an old Garmin GPS and velcroed it to the instrument panel. Now I get not only accurate speed but compass too, not to mention the maps.
Cost = $60

Doron

Dead speedo

All lights work on the speedo unit, but not the odometer or spedometer. Saw a post about soldering jumpers???? Can you expand on this please?
Thanks,
Mark

Odometer

Is it usually the gears vs. the motor. Is it pretty easy to see? Any tricks on opening up the cluster.

Thanks!

Speedo working now

Just be careful and take your time. That's the best trick I know.

My speedo started working the other day....did not do anything special, but the weahter was colder....go figure. :scratch

1985 K100RS instrument panel

Any suggestions on a cheap fix for an instrument panel? First is was the speedo, then the odometer, I am afraid everything will fail shortly. Sometimes it works when it is cold outside.

Back