• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Chicago ByPass - Does One Exist?

Paul_F

RK Ryder
If one were travelling from I 94 to Green Bay, is there a Chicago bypass and if so what time of day would be the best time to pass through there next week? In the past, I have travelled to Green Bay via the UP. Distance is about the same from where I live. Is the Chicago route a doable option or is the Michigan UP still the best option? :ca

If one were travelling from I 94 to Green Bay, is there a Chicago bypass and if so what time of day would be the best time to pass through there next week? In the past, I have travelled to Green Bay via the UP. Distance is about the same from where I live. Is the Chicago route a doable option or is the Michigan UP still the best option? :ca

In terms of scenery and less traffic, the UP has merit - the trade-off is a slower pace.

'Around' Chicago (by-pass?) is I-294 (The Illinois Tollway, or 'Tri-State').

But Chicago is Chicago - unless half the area's population pick up and move to Nebraska, it will always be congested.

I did an Iron Butt last October, where my son and I traveled 'around' Chicago on the Tri-State Tollway at 2AM - it was busy!

Good luck with whatever route you choose, and beware the potholes. :dance

My brother was a trucker and when I told him what a pain the southern toll bypass was, he said the best way is to go right through town on the Dan Ryan in the express lanes. It was hard to believe, but now it's the only way I go.

My brother was a trucker and when I told him what a pain the southern toll bypass was, he said the best way is to go right through town on the Dan Ryan in the express lanes. It was hard to believe, but now it's the only way I go.

I've traveled through many times from my current home to Milwaukee, and the bottom line is that it's always a roll of the dice as to take the tri-state or run right through the loop, or a combination. Time of day is the big consideration, since you may be able to be opposite the flow of traffic. I have to agree that it can often be faster to go straight through downtown.

When sticking with I-94 through downtown, I often continue north on US 41 where I-94 swings in a westerly direction before returning back towards the lake. I find the few stoplights and reduced traffic there to be more calming, and I don't believe that there is any time penalty. You eventually return right back onto I-94 (or actually it returns to you) via that route. Also, there are a few decent diners along that stretch.

Oh, and +1 on the potholes! I was amazed at the quality of your roads in Canada. We aren't so lucky down here.

What time of day are you expecting to pass through?

I've traveled through many times from my current home to Milwaukee, and the bottom line is that it's always a roll of the dice as to take the tri-state or run right through the loop, or a combination. Time of day is the big consideration, since you may be able to be opposite the flow of traffic. I have to agree that it can often be faster to go straight through downtown.

When sticking with I-94 through downtown, I often continue north on US 41 where I-94 swings in a westerly direction before returning back towards the lake. I find the few stoplights and reduced traffic there to be more calming, and I don't believe that there is any time penalty. You eventually return right back onto I-94 (or actually it returns to you) via that route. Also, there are a few decent diners along that stretch.

Oh, and +1 on the potholes! I was amazed at the quality of your roads in Canada. We aren't so lucky down here.

What time of day are you expecting to pass through?

I have to be in Green Bay by anytime Tuesday evening. The plan is to leave Monday shortly before 6:00 a.m. and take the UP and make the trip a leisurely two day excursion. However, if the weather is not good on Monday and I had to postpone the trip until Tuesday, I was thinking that the I94/Chicago route might be a faster way to get there in one day. If that were the case, I'd be going through Chicago between 1 and 2 in the afternoon. Today it has been snowing here (but not staying on the ground). Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be seasonal, but then you never know with the weather. :dunno

Vomit Comet

When coming back from the Vermont National a few years ago, I took the ferry across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee. I just couldn't see fighting the traffic through Chicago to the western suburbs, where I live.
True, I did save a lot of time................however, the lake was very wavy and everyone (crew included) was sick. Really everyone was either bent over a garbage can, holding a paper bag or in the washroom. The ferry appropriatly earned its nickname "Vomit Comet" Thankfully, when we got in to the harbor in Milwaukee, it had calmed down, as did my stomach.
One Harley guy was so sick that he wound up calling a friend to pick him and his bike up in a truck.
Except for the heaving boat and people the trip was kinda fun.
Would I do it again???? I think I'll pass.:dunno

If you use gooogle maps to lay a course from Portland OR
to Albany, NY the route will turn south at Davenport IO
and run thru Indianapolis to Columbus and then turn north
to Cleveland. This suggests how far to steer clear of Chicago.
mXa

Even better, no charge for motorcycles in May and June 2010.

regards,
Mark

I just checked the site and there is no charge for cars or motorcycles until April 30th this year. It opens for the season on April 30th, eleven days after my start. :laugh So far it looks as if tomorrow morning I will be departing and heading north for the Michigan's UP. However, the next time I have to travel to Nick's for some Wilbers warranty work, I will try to have my visit coincide with the free Vomit Comet service. It sounds like a deal and I've never been sick on a boat. :dance

Thank you for the alternate route suggestions around Chicago, which my daughter tells me is a wonderful city, but one which I don't really wish to visit on this trip.

Back