• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2013 Rally Including current updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vineyards - Are there any in the Area???

If you are wondering if there are any vineyards in the Salem area, there are but only 40 in Marion County. The surrounding area has well over 150 vineyards.

Chemeketa Community College (located in Salem) has a Viticulture Program where students learn how to produce and market wines. Don't ask how the Rally Team knows, but the wine produced at the College is fine.;)

In the works are vineyard tours operated by private companies with pick-up and delivery at the rally grounds. We want you to have a good time enjoying the vineyards and not worrying about riding. Expect to see details on the tours after the first of the year.

Deb Lower
2013 Rally Chair

Dorm Rooms

The area colleges and universities are being asked if they have dorm rooms available during the Rally. We are working on this lodging option.

Deb Lower
2013 Rally Chair

"Stuff"

I tagged along with the Rally team to Salem last week.
#1: good excuse to ride 3K (with Deb).
#2: the secret password, which the people of Salem wish was less secret is...."Pino Noir"
#3 The evergreen trees are spectacular: varierty, size, shapes
#4 The Oregon coast is incredible
#5 Route 242 between Sisters and Route 126, move over dragon, what a ride!

:bikes:dance

' The info below is the essential part of an article for an upcoming ON (no sooner than) November.

The train departure/arrival times may vary by a few minutes by next July, but not by much.

TRAIN SCHEDULES

Westbound - MONDAY, CAPITOL LIMITED, ETD D.C. SUNDAY, JULY 14 @ 4:05 P.M.; ETA CHICAGO 8:45 A.M. THE NEXT MORNING, JULY 15.

EMPIRE BUILDER - ETD CHICAGO 2:15 P.M. JULY 15, ETA PORTLAND 10:10 A.M. ON THURSDAY JULY 18.

Eastbound - EMPIRE BUILDER - ETD PORTLAND 4:45 P.M., SUNDAY, JULY 21; ETA CHICAGO 3:55 P.M. TUESDAY, JULY 23;

LEAVE CHICAGO 6:10 P.M. ON TUESDAY, JULY 23, ON THE CAPITOL LIMITED; ETA D.C. 12:40 P.M. ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 24.

I was looking into booking travel with Amtrak, something doesnt seem right on the west bound trip from Chicago.

The Empire Builder leaves Chicago daily, and arrives in Portland almost 46 hours later. That means a 2:15pm departure from Chicago on Sunday the 14th, would mean it arrives on Tuesday morning the 16th, not Thursday morning the 18th as claimed above.

The return timing is correct.

I'm thinking of doing this, but has anyone else booked yet? I'd like to be on the same train as a rally group.

Good Oregon Beers

I'll ask THE most important question...................

What kind of beer at the Beer garden?

We can sure hope for some Black Butte Porter. Deschutes Brewery puts out some great beer. The bier meisters have plenty of good ones to choose from.
-Sirby
WSBMWR

Salem

Rode from Wisconsin to Redmond two years ago. It was the best ride ever - both ways! I look forward to going to Salem. Already have two rooms booked. I'd consider moving to Oregon.

Too close to home

I'm from Oregon I've been a member for about 3 years and have really wanted to attend an International Rally... but they've always been too far and/or I've been unable to get the time off work. This coming summer rally dates are perfect and I can get those days off. But geeez... I would love a nice ride to get there... but only 50 miles down I-5 to get to Salem... that just takes the wind out of my sails. Perhaps I'll wait for another year and what I'd consider a funner destination from my point of view. For me the road trip to get there is half the fun! Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it? Should I wait for another year? Just rambling here . LOL!

I'm from Oregon I've been a member for about 3 years and have really wanted to attend an International Rally... but they've always been too far and/or I've been unable to get the time off work. This coming summer rally dates are perfect and I can get those days off. But geeez... I would love a nice ride to get there... but only 50 miles down I-5 to get to Salem... that just takes the wind out of my sails. Perhaps I'll wait for another year and what I'd consider a funner destination from my point of view. For me the road trip to get there is half the fun! Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it? Should I wait for another year? Just rambling here . LOL!

Such troubles. I'd just plan a route to the rally that included Banff and Jasper on the way. :dance

Or Hyder, Alaska!:whistle

Voni
sMiling

Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it?

Yes, don't miss a National if it's in your back yard. This year we went to Sedalia which is only 250 not so interesting miles away and we had a good time at the rally.
In the past we have not made it to very many Nationals because my job did not allow me much time off in the summer. With the rally so close, I only had to take two days off.

Train Ride

I am starting the investigation to getting my bike out there and ride the train to meet up with it.

In 2001, I rode the train with the bike in a freight car with many other folks and had a wonderful time. I understand that Amtrak will not be taking motorcycles on the train this time around.

I am contacting the three trucking companies that do move motorcycles around the country to see if I can get a deal on a price if it is a truckload from say Chicago to Spokane....??? I am also trying to see if they can coordinate the timing to depart and arrive at about the same time as the train.....We will see.

Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?

How about volunteering to help with the setup, laying out self-guided rides, posting some pics of area attractions for those of us riding 3k miles to get there..?

Or...

Take a big ride north or south into SW Colorado and meet what could be half of
the MOA from east of the big river for the Top of Rockies Rally.... then join us
back to Salem. When your coming thousands, ya gotta break it up somewhere.

04R1150R

John what about heading West for the 49er rally Memorial Day weekend leave the bikes in Cali. round trip it home back to Cali pick up bikes and head up to Salem in July on the Coast!

Ya gotta love a new idea...

And we wouldn't be "whipped" from a haul to the left coast before arriving at Salem!
No train ride or shipping required... just storage logistics. I'll give it due consideration.
When it comes to the annual moa rally before & after week.... everybody's gonna be
somewhere doing something! :thumb

John, red 04r1150r

We had Deschutes Brewery as our micro-brew in Redmond in 2010. Very tasty and well received in everyone's opinion.
I'm sure that they will be on the short list for Salem.

MAD DOG
Nat Rally Beer Chair:drink

I have always figured that there are those who attend the rally:

because it's close.

Because it's far.

or just because they enjoy it regardless of the distance.

Some of those who like to complain about the rallies attend for ammunition for their litany of complaints.

Some who complain don't bother to attend, using, temperature, boring roads,
Things (motels beer etc) cost too much or _______________ for reasons not to go.

Me? I just like to go & feel cheated when I am unable to attend.

I like when the locations vary in distance from my home, long one year & a little bit shorter the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back