• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tie-downs

ultracyclist

Is there a particular brand or type of tie downs preferred with this group?
Where did you get yours?

Any additional equipment to consider besides the tie downs and rubber hooked straps?

TIA

I prefer the ROK straps with the loop ends. No hooks to slip and nothing to potentially scratch the finish. Also, they're easy to get into on the road.

I used Helen Two Wheels' straps for years and then one day bought some ROK straps. Superior in some ways, but just don't give me that tough security that the Helen straps give me. I've used them several times and half expect a connection to pull apart...But that's just my paranoia.

I'm confused again.

Is the question about "tie downs" to tie a bike down - as in on a trailer; or, perchance, is the questions about what to use to tie stuff down to the bike.

It does make a difference. ROK straps would fail miserably in the former, but sometimes do OK in the latter.

So what are we trying to tie to what???

ROK straps for tying stuff to the bike.

Classic Red Ancra for tying the bike to a truck or trailer.

I do not think I would use anything else in either situation.

Since it's for trailering...

Originally, I purchased a set of tie-towns (with soft ties) that had two ratcheting straps and two pull-tight straps (that's the Ramp Connection package). I ultimately wound up getting another two ratchet-type straps, simply because I could never get the bike to sit up straight....

ROK Vendor at Johnson City Rally?

Does anyone know if the ROK vendor will be at this year's Johnson City Rally?

Tie downs for a trailer:

I agree - Ancra are very good.

Some folks use ratchet straps. I hate the things. They are futsy to put on and worse to loosen and take off.

I just use the thumb-latch type. There is a trick to tightening them however. Grab the handlebar and lean the bike a little, then pull the strap tight. Repeat on other side. Repeat again, repeat again.

Some folks use ratchet straps. I hate the things. They are futsy to put on and worse to loosen and take off.

I just use the thumb-latch type. There is a trick to tightening them however. Grab the handlebar and lean the bike a little, then pull the strap tight. Repeat on other side. Repeat again, repeat again.

Funny, I can never get the thumb style even reasonably tight. I have a bunch of the ratchet style and use them reguarly, so I don't find them fussy at all, and I can get a bike tied down tight even by myself.

Straps and tie downs

Rok straps. Aerostich also makes various size lops that you can anchor to. They work great or you can make your own by getting some nylon straping. Cut them so they are about 18-20 inches in length and then sew the ends together. Same thing that you buy only lots cheaper. You can then loop them around racks etc. with regular straps. www.aerostich.com

Funny, I can never get the thumb style even reasonably tight. I have a bunch of the ratchet style and use them reguarly, so I don't find them fussy at all, and I can get a bike tied down tight even by myself.

:scratch You didn't seem to have any problem lashing Alan's bike to your stand Saturday using the non-ratchet style straps.

// marc

:scratch You didn't seem to have any problem lashing Alan's bike to your stand Saturday using the non-ratchet style straps.

// marc

Thanks for helping my case, Marco. :bluduh

Yet, they were only tight because they were holding Alan's R100RT's nose down. There's a reason that those are on the lift and not in my truck.

Ratchet straps for trailering the bike. BMW OEM tie down straps for gear on the bike because they are small, strong and cheap ($1 each).

Any suggestions for trailer tie downs for a K1200LT. The bike does not have any good contact points...i.e front fork accessibility.
Jon

Any additional equipment to consider besides the tie downs and rubber hooked straps?

I don't worry what the hooks are made of because none of them ever get near my motorcycle.

I carry four 18" long tie-down assists with me when I am on tour. They take up no room. They were used to strap my GS Adventure to my pallet when it was air shipped overseas and I use them during ferry crossings.

$5.95 for a set of 4...

tiedownassists.jpg

Back