• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 Gillette National - attending or not?

2008 Gillette National - Attending, not attending, not sure?

• Attending

Votes: 138 52.1%
  • Not Attending

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • Not sure yet.....

Votes: 63 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I posted this poll, I neglected to include my 3 riding buddies who are joining me.

Today, my friend who just bought his first m/c, the K100RT, commented again about how excited he is to be going. He told me again about all the sites to see within a reasonable riding distance. He can't get his vacation draw then so he is going to take time off work, roughly 70 hrs worth!

We are going to make this a great time for him, from taking the scenic route around Lake Superior, across the top of the US into Wyoming.

Lets give it (the Gillette rally) a chance to work.
If you're going, all the better to meet people, if not, more chances for myself and my friends to walk off with big prizes....:laugh

To Kbasa, Dave, I realize through the forums that you and the directors have taken a beating over this location, I have never met you but I appreciate the efforts that go into setting this up, I don't have the time or energy to do this. If people are unhappy, there are lots of other riding venues to attend and in 3 years, they can take a run for director or even president...

until then, I encourage everyone to attend and make the best of it, it might be bad, it might be good, but we won't know for sure until the 3rd week of July..

I thought this little 'straw poll' over the next 100 days might help by looking at the numbers..

Dale

Gonna' have a great time!

Yup, going to be Co-Chairing the Cyber Cafe Committee and helping with the tire pressure check station. :thumb

My life has been totally uncertain for the last few years with no end to that in sight, but I voted IN and that's the plan I'm working with. Details of my plan include a stop in CO to visit my very best friend, a few days of regional exploration before the rally, some volunteering, Camp BEERS, meeting new folks, all the usual fun and debauchery of the Big Rally, and more!
Can't wait to give El Chupacabra a good workout up there in Flavour Country!

Unfortunately, No

But wish I could.

For that matter, I wish I could make every one. If it wasn't for that little thing called employment....

I've been to every national since Missoula One in '84, except Moodus, Ct. in '93 when I had just changed jobs and had zero vacation time. Voni did go to Moodus too though. Ironically, that was the year they announced our appointments as Ambassadors at the rally and I wasn't there. And I'll be in Gillette - probably arriving on the way south from Alaska which is where we intend to go the end of May following Hyderseek in Hyder.

Yes, I'll be attending the rally in Gillette.

I used to live in Gillette (1984 to 1987), and I'm looking forward to getting back for a visit to Wyoming. From the posts I've read here and elsewhere, it seems apparent that many of the critics have never been to Gillette, or spent much time in Wyoming.

More later . . .

Last edited:
No way no how

To familiar with that town and area. Too much good riding elsewhere. I am spoiled living in Colorado with easy access to Utah, northern Arizona and New Mexico to go there. I will stick with the Buffalo Stampede, small, great town and great riding in the Black Hills. Never been to a national event so I do not know what I am missing. :dunno

gpodzo

To familiar with that town and area. Too much good riding elsewhere. I am spoiled living in Colorado with easy access to Utah, northern Arizona and New Mexico to go there. I will stick with the Buffalo Stampede, small, great town and great riding in the Black Hills. Never been to a national event so I do not know what I am missing. :dunno

gpodzo

A mere 9 hour day trip for you. Go - and see what you have been missing!

Yup...I'm going.

Attending the National in Gillette...then going to the Top of the Rockies rally in Paonia, CO the following weekend...where the views and riding will be much better!
BTW, I used my Hilton points to get a room in Gillette, soooo, no $250 a night for me. If you have hotel points, try using them. I did it all online...no hassle at all.

I live in Casper, Wyoming and it was just on the news last night that property values in Gillette were tapering off. Housing is starting to keep up with demand. There's a huge boom in the area and many are living in motels. Now that there are places to live, the Motel prices may drop some. I don't think the MOA is getting picked on, the prices are just wacko up there at the moment.
The Camplex is famous for doing things right. I went to an RV rally there with 11,000 people and they handled it with no problems whatsoever that I saw. I'm sure the Camplex will provide service as good as or better than any other rally. I also fly radio control airplanes and the Rally of the Giants was held there a few years ago and again, everyone I talked to was extremely impressed.
I haven't been to the MOA Rally before and am looking forward to it!! I understand folks disappointment in the room prices as I don't like to tent camp either. I'm not as disappointed as others as the ride there is only 115 miles and I'm going to take my RV. I love to travel on the bike, but I can stand trailering it for that distance.
-Ray

Just depends..

Sent a money order in today,in hopes of being one of the 200 riders selected to ride the 3 Flags Classic,and if I'm one of the lucky ones,will have to pass on Gillete.

Gillette? DEFINITELY!
Now the only question is, what to RIDE there?!?! Decisions, decisions!

I'm in, I think

This will be my first national rally. Bought my first BMW 6 or 7 years ago, but I'm a little slow (when I'm not on the bike!). Looking forward to doing some volunteering and to meeting some of you good folks.

Not going but not because of the location.
Not enough time to be able to go. I am waiting for another one back in the east.
I did look at the area and it looks like there is plenty of good riding to be had there.

Attending

You bet! Wouldn't miss it. Great riding all around that area and another chance to visit the new grandbaby in Boulder while I'm in the area. Now maybe I should visit the other son in Vancouver on the way there....

They are forecasting snow tonight, so it is time to get out the maps and plan all the possible routes I might take.

I will be volunteering as environmental steward, as well as in the charging station and cyber caf?® again.

Holly

You bet! Wouldn't miss it. Great riding all around that area and another chance to visit the new grandbaby in Boulder while I'm in the area. Now maybe I should visit the other son in Vancouver on the way there....

They are forecasting snow tonight, so it is time to get out the maps and plan all the possible routes I might take.

I will be volunteering as environmental steward, as well as in the charging station and cyber caf?® again.

Holly

Two thumbs up for the Cyber Cafe volunteers! :thumb :thumb

Maybe Attending

If any group is going from FL, GA or SC I will tag along. This will be my first BMW event. I will bring a big hat, alot of sunscreen and a positive attitude.

Or skip the flatlands and go to the Black Hills Stampede instead.

:jose

Back