• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hyder Seek

waxer109452

I see that the registration for the 2011 Hyder Seek has opened up. I have never been to Alaska so I am thinking of going to Hyder then onto Skagway, ferry to Haines, up to Whitehorse, down to Banff via Dawson Creek then back home to Bend, Oregon. Hopefully another trip to Anchorage and Fairbanks will be in cards for another time.
I'd like to hear from other riders who are either going to Hyder or have been there before. It looks like a good time. :bikes

Thanks
Mark
R1200GS
Heritage Softail

My wife are attending Hyder Seek as well. Fairbanks - Whitehorse - Skagway - Whitehorse - Hyder - Montana. We are dropping off a couple of our bikes as part of our move to Montana. I've been to Hyder but not for Hyder Seek. Beautiful place and a great ride in and out of Hyder. You'll have a great time.

Hyder is one of my favorite places. We've been there several times. Urbanites will find it different.

My wife are attending Hyder Seek as well. Fairbanks - Whitehorse - Skagway - Whitehorse - Hyder - Montana. We are dropping off a couple of our bikes as part of our move to Montana. I've been to Hyder but not for Hyder Seek. Beautiful place and a great ride in and out of Hyder. You'll have a great time.

I'm about ready to sign up, I was trying to look at Sea Alaska Inn's website but am having some computer issues when I try to connect to their site. Not sure what that's all about but I'll call the Inn direct for information as Ayres recommends getting a room before signing up for Hyder Seek. Really looking forward to riding the Cassiar Hwy!
Mark
R1200 GS
Heritage Softail

Last edited:
I imagine there are some bears around in early June, but not as many as when the salmon are running later in the summer. But they will be hungry guys in June.

BTW, the Cassiar is a very interesting road. The original Cassiar ran south from the Cassiar mines to Stewart--Northern BC's nearest saltwater port. Then a connector road was constructed between Meziadin Junction and Kitwanga on the Yellowhead Hwy 16. and the Cassiar was extended north to reach the Alcan near Watson Lake. So now, the Cassiar, BC 37, connects between the Yellowhead and the Alcan. The old section of the Cassiar going to Stewart is now BC 37A.

Stewart is a nice little town, with paved streets, restaurants, gas stations, etc. To get to Hyder you ride through Stewart, head west along the water, and literally fall off the end of the pavement onto the gravel/dirt/mud/ice main street of Hyder. To get back to civilization, you have to bump back up onto pavement and go through Canadian Customs.

According to a tale I heard from a Hyderite, years ago Canadian Customs were somewhat heavy handed toward Alaskans, and Hyderites had to endure the disrespect on every trip to the grocery store or gas station. Then one fine day someone carelessly left some dynamite lying around (under the Canadian Customs building as it happened) and with a touch of a match the station lifted off, eventually raining down bits of lumber and paper forms. There was no Canadian Customs station for a number of years until the current metal prefab was brought in. It appears that the newer Customs agents have been counseled to be more civilized to Hyderites.

This is relatively remote country, with lots of wildlife including black bear, beaver, wolverine, skunk, moose, etc. One of the nice features of the northern end of the Cassiar is that BC has whacked the trees and bushes back about 60 feet on either side of the road, so you can spot the wildlife. It's common to see black bear wandering around the streets of Hyder, looking for unsecured garbage cans.

Mostly, the Cassiar is paved, but there are a few sections of dirt/gravel. I'll pass along the advice of an Alaskan rider I met: if it's raining, definitely avoid the Cassiar; if it's not raining, definitely don't miss the Cassiar. The road crew spreads some noxious chemical on the surface to quell the dust (I think Calcium Chloride) and when it gets wet it turns to a slop that coats everything in a gray layer that is bulletproof, fireproof, and waterproof --once dry. In an emergency I think you could cast a cylinder out of the stuff, however it would probably wear out an aluminum piston in no time.

pmdave

Attachments

• Cassiar, gravel 06.jpg
    Cassiar, gravel 06.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 325
There are some scenic mountains along the Cassiar, including a glacier that's viewable from 37A on your way to Stewart (and Hyder)

pmdave

Attachments

• Mountain LS Cassiar 01.jpg
    Mountain LS Cassiar 01.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 323
Halfway along the Cassiar is a mountain of solid jade. The locals bring slabs of the stuff down to the highway for sale to tourists and wandering motorcyclists. If they feel like it (and if the cutting guy is around and sober) you can get a slice to order. Otherwise there is a trinket shop where you can squander your Loonies on carved bear or whatever.

pmdave

Attachments

• Cassiar, jade cutting.jpg
    Cassiar, jade cutting.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 313
There are a number of hotels/inns/flophouses in the Stewart/Hyder area. Naturally, the SeaLaska is the center of action for the Hyder Seek, so that's the place to be.

However, there will usually be lodging available in Stewart. I stayed at a B&B one year, that included a suptuous take-no-prisoners breakfast.

BTW, few people (other than crazy endurance riders) go to Hyder to see Hyder. Most of the residents seem to have gone to Hyder to get away from somewhere else, for reasons you might leave unquestioned.

pmdave

Attachments

• bears sm.jpg
    bears sm.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 314
I attended Hyder Seek in 2006. We stayed in Stewart, and after checking in went across the border into Hyder to the event. On the way back to Stewart I had my earplugs in when we stopped at customs entering Canada. The female agent asked what I thought was if I had over $10k insurance coverage. When I replied yes her eyes got very wide! Turns out she was asking if I had over $10k in currency........:doh
You will have a great time there, and the scenery coming and going is unsurpassed.

I went to Hyder in 2006 on my Hayabusa, but not for Hyder Seek. What a wonderful little town. While getting "Hyderized" at the Sealaska Inn, I met a fella that was riding a K75 from Indiana on his way to Las Vegas. The long way!

Still have my "Just for the Halibut" tshirt and wear it with pride. :)

I'd love to do Hyder Seek next year, but I already have plans for tackling the Haul Road and going to Prudhoe Bay to join the Polar Bear Club in July. I'll be doing that on my KLR. The BMW will be staying at home. I may have to spend a night in Hyder on the way back though. I just don't think I can be that close and not stop in.

Everyone that's going, have a blast!

DSCF5751.jpg

more here:
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/VoniGlaves/2008 North to Alaska 2/?start=all

Don't miss the ride to the Bear Viewing and the Salmon Glacier.

Voni
sMiling

Voni,

Thanks for the photo links. One of the photos showed you working at your laptop on a picnic table. I'm amazed the mosquitos (Alaska state bird) hadn't carried away your laptop.

A few years ago a large mosquito landed at Elmendorf Air Base near Anchorage. They pumped 500 pounds of jet A into the poor devil before realizing it wasn't an airplane.

You rode all the way up to the Glacier? I'm impressed. That's one technical "road."

I'm still trying to figure out what critter crossed the road in front of me on BC 37. I was cruising along on my 1150GS, and noticed what appeared to be a piece of truck tread lying across the road. I leisurely picked a path around it, but when I got close it scrambled across the road. I'm not kidding! It reminded me of a baby alligator, but we're talking BC here, not FL. Too low to be a beaver, otter, or badger. Too long to be a squirrel, skunk, crow, or lynx. Too small to be a wolf, cougar, or sasquatch. And I can't imagine an indian kid lying alongside a remote road with a tire tread on a fishing line, waiting for some naive biker to come along. He would have been eaten alive by the mosquitos.

pmdave

Short travel warning about Dease Lake. There's a restaurant along the highway, and one of the few places on the Cassiar to get a meal.

But beware the locals, especially the shifty-eyed young layabouts. After my breakfast, I noticed three young guys standing around a pickup truck loaded with carpentry tools. As I rode off, I heard a POP similar to a rock being squirted out from under my rear tire. I didn't think much about it, since all the parking lots are gravel up there.

The next morning I discovered a flat tire with a 16p new construction nail imbedded. I don't have any proof, but I'm pretty sure the layabouts braced the nail against my tire while I was in the men's room.

So, just before riding away from Dease Lake, check around your tires for nails. OK, I'm paranoid about this. Maybe bigoted. Your mileage may vary.

pmdave

Glad you enjoyed them. Sure was fun taking them.

Voni,

Thanks for the photo links. One of the photos showed you working at your laptop on a picnic table. I'm amazed the mosquitos (Alaska state bird) hadn't carried away your laptop.
. . . .
You rode all the way up to the Glacier? I'm impressed. That's one technical "road."

. . .

pmdave

It was amazing to me that mosquitoes were so absent. Pays to go early in the year!

I did ride it. Very carefully! And it was worth every inch to arrive at the top! Then going down steep gravel was another challenge. But my F650 Funduro handled it all with aplomb.

In 2009 we didn't ride back up because the road was blocked with an avalanche not far past the Bear Viewing area. They blew it up and opened the road, but it was lots more challenging.

Memories!

Voni
sMiling

Back