• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2006 R1200RT headlight bulb question

CaptRehkopf

Hi all,
Just bought a RT, don't physically have it yet, but I can't seem to find the headlight bulb type(s)? What type and how many are there? From the microfiche it appears the only headlight bulb is an H7? Is that correct? If it is a dual filament bulb what is the other type?
Reason for asking is I want to replace the OEM blub(s) with HIDs.
Ride Safe,
Robert
Ps I ask for your support and vote in the upcoming MOA Board of Directors election.

They are indeed H7 bulbs for all three (2 low beam, 1 for high) and are single filament.

They are indeed H7 bulbs for all three (2 low beam, 1 for high) and are single filament.

Dave,
Thanks. From the microfiche there was only one H7 shown and only one H7 called for. That is what confused me. I never did see the low beam bulbs!
Ride Safe,
Robert
Ps. I ask for your support and vote in the upcoming BMWMOA Board of Directors election.

From the microfiche there was only one H7 shown and only one H7 called for. That is what confused me. I never did see the low beam bulbs!

Don't just look at the pictures. Read the table of parts. In the picture I'm looking at the bulb is item #3. The table for item number 3 reads:

No: 03
Description: BULB
Supplement: H7/55W
Qty: 3
etc

Thanks for the help, I called myself looking at the table but must have had 'table' blindness! I have ordered three H7 single filament HIDs from DDMtuning.
Ride Safe,
Robert

Don't just look at the pictures. Read the table of parts. In the picture I'm looking at the bulb is item #3. The table for item number 3 reads:

No: 03
Description: BULB
Supplement: H7/55W
Qty: 3
etc

Greetings
I had to replace the headlight fixture on our 07 rt $695. Dealer claimed it was because I used a h7 that was not a OEM bulb and it had caused the fixture to melt. Not all H7 are the same according to them. The manual only states a H7 bulb not what brand of H7.
Tony

Greetings
I had to replace the headlight fixture on our 07 rt $695. Dealer claimed it was because I used a h7 that was not a OEM bulb and it had caused the fixture to melt. Not all H7 are the same according to them. The manual only states a H7 bulb not what brand of H7.
Tony

Hi,
I sent your post to my dealer in Memphis asking him what he thought about this issue. I'll let you know what he says.
Ride safe,
Robert
Ps I ask for you BOD vote.

Greetings
Tony

My dealer just called me back, note AFTER Normal Business Hours, and he said that if the wattage were the same then there shouldn't be any problem, caveat he has a good relationship with his BMW representative/warranty guy! Obviously, YMMV!
Ride Safe,
Robert
Ps Vote for ME! PLEASE!

I know it's futile to interrupt those "on a mission," but an HID replacement for the high beam on these bikes is inappropriate. That's because HIDs take quite a long time to reach full brightness, making them inappropriate as flashers. You will have in effect removed this safety feature from your bike.

When real designers design headlight systems for HIDs from the outset, they make provision for an incandescent bulb for flashing.

I know it's futile to interrupt those "on a mission," but an HID replacement for the high beam on these bikes is inappropriate. That's because HIDs take quite a long time to reach full brightness, making them inappropriate as flashers. You will have in effect removed this safety feature from your bike.

When real designers design headlight systems for HIDs from the outset, they make provision for an incandescent bulb for flashing.

+1

That's why I only upgraded the low beams to HIDs and left the high beam with the normal H7.

It's alright.....If you are just replacing bulb for bulb, I have forum stock bulbs readily available. The bulbs have a number on them.
OM

Back