• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Dedication

The side panel of my bike with my favorite beer's logo. I also have it on the rear of my car.

Now that is dedication to a marquee, never had the stuff, going to have to give it a try now that you are recommending it, no better recommendation that putting it on the side of a BMW as far as I am concerned, too cool, thanks! Your user name needs to be changed to toocooltocare instead of toooldtocare!:brad

Shane

Thanks for the comments. When I lived in Germany I kept seeing on the cars Bitte eim Bit. I asked a co-worker what it meant. He said, "Please one Bitburger." Before I left I stocked up on the logos (you sometimes got them when you bought a rack of beer) and drank as much as I could.

Every town over there has its own brewery and the correct thing to say when entering a bar is to just ask for a "pils" (pilsner) to get the local stuff. Never had any bad beer there. However, if you are shopping in a grocery store look for Bitburger. It is a hoppy beer, quite good. Not quite the same over here though.

Wayne

Attachments

• P1000268.jpg
    P1000268.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 290
A guy I know used a swastika as the gas pedal on a rat rod he built. His theory was, he was stamping out nazi-ism every time he laid into the gas. Unfortunately, nobody got it & he was hassled to no end, so out it came... Kind of funny now over 10 years later...

New Mockup Photographs

Josh did some very rough mocking up of the bike, things are held together with glue, rubber bands and gum, ha ha. But it gives us a little idea, he did some photoshop work on these to get some of the colors to be more true to the end result. Had to share, thanks for following.

Sincerely,
Shane

Attachments

• 07-25-11_2.jpg
    07-25-11_2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 357
Looking good, does that seat pan/back tuck into the tube more? Or, does it sit back like that when all done?

Seat

Looking good, does that seat pan/back tuck into the tube more? Or, does it sit back like that when all done?

I believe that area will be covered up with the seat and the upholstery, good question, this is again just a rough mockup, thanks for following, the support out here has been great.

Thanks,
Shane

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but one of your fan's whos has been an avid follower of your rebuild has passed away. James R. Coleman of Marion, Ar. , known on the MOA site as ' copandengr' died last week. He had bilt, restored, and customized quite a few different kinds of bikes is his past. I saw his album of past bikes and they included Harley's, Nortons, BMW's and various Jap bikes. He was quite good at it. I was in the process of helping him acquire a R60/5, which he hoped to get in August. That's over now, but we all will continue to follow your progress with interest just as much as JR did. Thx Barry

DEDICATION to James Coleman

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but one of your fan's whos has been an avid follower of your rebuild has passed away. James R. Coleman of Marion, Ar. , known on the MOA site as ' copandengr' died last week. He had bilt, restored, and customized quite a few different kinds of bikes is his past. I saw his album of past bikes and they included Harley's, Nortons, BMW's and various Jap bikes. He was quite good at it. I was in the process of helping him acquire a R60/5, which he hoped to get in August. That's over now, but we all will continue to follow your progress with interest just as much as JR did. Thx Barry

Dear Barry, thanks for letting us know. I did not know Mr. Marion but he sounds like a great guy who had a love for all types of motorcycles. I am very sorry for the loss of a member of this fine community. My thoughts go out to his family and I want to dedicate the rest of this build to his memory. I have always said it is the people that surround these cars and motorcycles that are the most important element, and lets think of James from time to time during this process.

Thanks,
Shane

PS: As an Oncology Nurse by trade, I know all too well about how fickle life is sometimes having held the hands of hundreds of patients over the years. I am sure he will be missed by man.

Shane:

James and I had some correspondence after he posted to your thread. His medical condition did sound extremely serious, and I hoped that the prospect of doing another project brightened his last months.

Shane:

James and I had some correspondence after he posted to your thread. His medical condition did sound extremely serious, and I hoped that the prospect of doing another project, brightened his last months.

He did seem like a great guy.

Do you have a picture of him, Barry?

I'm embarrassed to say I don't. I don't have a digital camera and can't post pictures. I went over yesterday to pay my respects to his wife, Lynne. She told me that their grandson had come over and had been helping him get the garage back in shape to start the BMW bike project, if it worked out. She said he hadn't been happier in month's. Just the thought of getting that bike really perked him up. He lived a couple of miles from me, so I brought him over to my garage for a little field trip to see my bikes. It really made his day. But that little 2 mile trip to my house, showed me his true condition, which was quite weak and frail. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it shows that threads like this really affect people's lives in a very positive way. Barry

Hijack Away

I'm embarrassed to say I don't. I don't have a digital camera and can't post pictures. I went over yesterday to pay my respects to his wife, Lynne. She told me that their grandson had come over and had been helping him get the garage back in shape to start the BMW bike project, if it worked out. She said he hadn't been happier in month's. Just the thought of getting that bike really perked him up. He lived a couple of miles from me, so I brought him over to my garage for a little field trip to see my bikes. It really made his day. But that little 2 mile trip to my house, showed me his true condition, which was quite weak and frail. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it shows that threads like this really affect people's lives in a very positive way. Barry

There is absolutely no problem, hijack this thread all the way, it deserves to be said,
thanks for sharing,
Shane

Race Stripe

After looking at the white race stripe I am not really happy with how thin it is. The thickness is dictated by the thickest width of the stripe we can do on the front fender. So I have come up with an idea of painting the entire front fender white and then we will thicken the white stripe on the rest of the bike. I hate thin weak stripes, I think they look much better wider, just my personal preference so Josh will mockup the photos with a white front fender and widen the stripe on the rest of the bike, little details is what it is all about. I made a similar decision on the Porsche, the GT Spyder Mirror on the driver's side (exactly what what was on James Dean Sypder the day he crashed) should have been silver the same color as the body. Everyone does the mirror in the same color as the body, it was a given, I thought outside of the box a little bit and decided to have the mirror be white as a contrast and as a marriage to the race stripe and I get many compliments on that decision, no matter how small it was at the time.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 06-07-11_14.jpg
    06-07-11_14.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 380
Width of stripes

Look at what BMW has done with the strip on their R1200R. I kind of like this width on the fender. Kind of like the bike too.

Attachments

• BMW R1200R Classic .jpg
    BMW R1200R Classic .jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 375
Nice

Look at what BMW has done with the strip on their R1200R. I kind of like this width on the fender. Kind of like the bike too.

That is a beautiful modern bike and the throw-back stripe of yesteryear is cool as well. I have told Josh that I think the stripe should be wide enough to emcompass more than the filler cap on the tank, just a little bit on the outside on both sides should be just about right. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Shane

Little Bit Wider

Josh gave me this photoshopped image of his bike with my paint scheme some months ago and not sure if I shared, here is the stripe, thinking of going a little bit wider, we will see,

thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• R75_Beach_2A9X5251.jpg
    R75_Beach_2A9X5251.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 372
i think the fat stripe with one or 2 pinstripes on the side would be amazing. especially if you are doing the pinstripes around the side of the tank.

Back