• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Bloomsburg 1000

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
The Iron Butt Association has teamed up with the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America for a special SaddleSore 1000. Called the Bloomsburg 1000, the ride will finish at the MOA's International Rally, which is being held from July 21-24, 2011 in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania.

Riders can start anytime between 12:01 a.m. Saturday, July 16th and 11:00 a.m. Thursday, July 21 from one of three locations west and south of Bloomsburg: Jacksonville, Florida, Springfield, Missouri, or Tomah, Wisconsin. You have 24 hours to complete the 1,000+ mile to Bloomsburg to be considered a finisher.

These cities were chosen as start points in an effort to simplify the documentation requirements for riders. Finishers will receive a distinctive IBA Bloomsburg 1000 certification, Bloomsburg 1000 ride pin and IBA World's Toughest Plate back along with membership in the IBA.

In addition to the three start locations we are also pleased to offer an opportunity for riders to complete a Saddle Sore 1000 that departs the rally site Wednesday morning. This will be a group Saddle Sore with riders required to document a few stops and return to the rally site 24 hours or less after the start.

The record for such a ride is close to 400 finishers, can we top this?

All riders of the Bloomsburg 1000 will be invited to an IBA-MOA "Pizza" Party Awards Ceremony for Bloomsburg 1000 finishers held at the Rally at the rally site!

The Bloomsburg 1000 Ride in is not limited just to BMW riders ÔÇô all marques are welcome! However, you must be attending the BMW MOA rally to participate in the ride.

Registration and details will be posted shortly.

Questions gladly answered, post them here!

Best,

Rob Nye
Ambassador, BMW MOA
IBA 250

Rob, will a start witness be required?

Thanks,
Ken

Ken,

The ride will follow the Saddlesore 1000 documentation requirements, however we will provide some specific information for the finish.

Short answer is yes, you will need to get a starting witness. The witness can be a hotel clerk, gas station attendant or anyone who will provide you with a way to contact them should the IBA feel it's necessary.

Having said this the information we will make it easy for someone to finish the ride at the rally site. During specific hours (likely following registration) we'll have it set up so you can come directly to the rally site, get the clock stopped and get your end witness form completed.

Finishing at the rally site during specific hours is not a requirement of the Bloomsburg 1000 except for the Saddle Sore Group ride.

What is required is that you complete a starting witness form, start the clock with a computer generated receipt showing the city, state, time and date with the city being one of the three starting points.

For some of the start locations you will need to get another computer generated receipt from a designated location along the route. Like all other required receipts this must also show the city name, state, time and date.

To finish you will need to get a computer generated receipt showing Bloomsburd, PA, as the city and state along with time and date OR come to the rally site during specified hours where we will stop the clock and witness your ending odo reading.

Remember that your witness can not be someone on the ride with you so if you are in a group you can not be each other's witness. You can ask the person at the gas station if they will be your witness, if they say yes simply note the phone number of the gas station and the witnesses name. Anyone (except someone else on the ride with you) can witness for you, all we need is their name and a way to contact them. This will be an issue for your start as you will be on your own. At the finish there will be plenty of folks to sign your witness form, you don't have to get a witness at the same time you get your receipt. I'd get the receipt and then come to the site rather than ask the attendant to be your witness.

If you arrive when registration is open you don't need to get a receipt or witness we'll take care of this for you.

If you are tight on time entering Bloomsburg I'd suggest getting a computer generated receipt rather then stressing about stopping the clock at the rally site.

Many of the rallies I've been to the last five miles to the site can be confusing and the area near registration can be crowded. I wouldn't cut my arrival to the site too close; again if it's tight simply get a computer generated receipt in Bloomsburg, relax and come to the rally. We'll take care of your witness form when you arrive.

More details will be posted as we finalize them.

Best,

Rob Nye

Thanks for the reply Rob!

Our local club, the "Springfield Roadriders" will be happy to provide start witnesses for anyone wishing to leave from Springfield, MO. I've already ran this past the club members at our meeting, and our thought was that it would most convienant (for all concerned) for us to have a club member stationed at the Holiday inn in N.E. Springfield. (which is right beside the entrance ramp you will need to take to Bloomsburg) If you mention the IBA ride, you are also entitled to a greatly reduced rate at the Holiday Inn!! At this point our thoughts are to have a club member stationed there during certain hours in the mornings preceeding the rally.

If other clubs could also provide this from the other start locations, it would be a great idea.

As people get to the point of actually planning their ride, a P.M. to me, letting me know what time you would like to leave would be great. We will try our best to accomodate everyone.

Ken Foster

Back