• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

roads to the rally

rayma60927

coming from central illinois i was thinking of taking I-72 into iowa and get on 24 and go to north of marshall , mo where our motel is. any comments, i know its probably all corn and beans but maybe its better than taking I-70 west of st.louis.

I recently rode 65 from Sedalia to Iowa. There is NO premium I could find until Osceola or Indianola. Just that Casey's 89 octane stuff. Be sure to start that stretch FULL. I was not completely full when I left, had to buy some cheap stuff. It was OK. For the rally it will be HOT, The RS does not like 89 when it is that hot!

Other than that nice ride, gently rolling farm country, relaxing and scenic.

Rod

coming from central illinois i was thinking of taking I-72 into iowa and get on 24 and go to north of marshall , mo where our motel is. any comments, i know its probably all corn and beans but maybe its better than taking I-70 west of st.louis.

My recommendation, Pick up US 54 and go through Louisiana. You can take 54 all the way to Jeff City and then 50 to the Rally. IMHO 54 is prettier especially around the Mississippi River. Stop in Fulton MO at National Churchill Memorial as well. Very worth while. http://www.churchillmemorial.org/Pages/default.aspx That is where he gave the famous "Iron Curtain" speak.

A longer route would be to go from Louisiana, MO to Hermann and then along (highway 100) the river to Jeff City. The area along the Missouri River is beautiful.

I'm planning to ride up to Van Buren,MO to visit some old pards on my way to the rally. What would be the most pleasant route to the rally from there ?

I'm planning to ride up to Van Buren,MO to visit some old pards on my way to the rally. What would be the most pleasant route to the rally from there ?
Great area to ride! Make sure you check out Big Springs State Park while there.

From Van Buren go east to Winona.
At Winona go north on 19 Salem
Salem 72 north to Rolla
From Rolla take 63 north to 50 and Jeff City
50 west to the Rally

Or

At Rolla go west (You can ride I44 or find parts of old Route 66) to Devils Elbow. Stop at Devil's Inn for lunch of something cold to drink.
Continue West to St. Robert and then Waynesville.
Waynesville Go N. on 17 to Tuscumbia.
At Tuscumbia pick up 52.
52 to 65.
65 north to Sedalia.

Back