• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member in Annapolis, MD

PittsDriver

Fuse lit....
Hi all,

Just introducing myself here as a new-to-BMW scooter guy. I decided to get back in to motorcycling after a 30 year hiatus last summer. After a lot of back and forth between the sport bikes I grew up on and something more comfortable, I decided I could have both in one bike and put a K16GT on order. I picked it up about a month ago and I'm going in for my 600 mile service on it tomorrow. I'm still pinching myself and asking if it's real.

Being new back to bikes (a few things have changed since 1980) and this being my first BMW ever I figure I have a lot to learn and I'm looking forward to participating here.

Wes

Welcome from WV...

Hi all,

Just introducing myself here as a new-to-BMW scooter guy. I decided to get back in to motorcycling after a 30 year hiatus last summer. After a lot of back and forth between the sport bikes I grew up on and something more comfortable, I decided I could have both in one bike and put a K16GT on order. I picked it up about a month ago and I'm going in for my 600 mile service on it tomorrow. I'm still pinching myself and asking if it's real.

Being new back to bikes (a few things have changed since 1980) and this being my first BMW ever I figure I have a lot to learn and I'm looking forward to participating here.

Wes

I have a met a couple of gents' who are in their 70's...well at least one is I know for sure...who are scooter riders. Both travel extensively on them....one even pulls a small trailer. Both do a lot of motocamping. I am sure you are really going to enjoy that new ride......ride safe....and watch your back!

welcome the MOA

Congrats on your new scoot. I rode one at the last international rally. You are one lucky son of a gun.

In addition to welcoming you to the MOA I want to invite you to check out our humble group of wondering BMW fans on the DELMARVA pennisula. We call ourselves the MidAtlantic Riders (MARs). We are a chartered club of the MOA #280 with a membership around 65 strong. We ride and meet monthly in the northern DE, southeastern PA and eastern MD areas. We will be gathering this Saturday at Arner's restaurant in New Castle DE at 9am if you would like to join us. Our web site is www.Midatlanticriders.com, please take a look at it. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me from the site.

Tom
:thumb:type

Hello

Nice choice Wes. For the first six months after the K16 was introduced I thought for sure this was the bike I would own. As it turns out I did not want to Pre-order and lost patience waiting on inventory. Bought a 2011 1200RT and absolutely love it (first BMW). The K16 looks like an awesome motorcycle and I know you will enjoy owning it. Went to the BMW international rally in July and had a great time, will be going to the 2012 rally in MO., you should consider it. Give a shout, I'm just down the road in Huntingtown, Md, would love to see your bike.

P.S. I assume your servicing at Bob's?

Jeff L.

I have a met a couple of gents' who are in their 70's...well at least one is I know for sure...who are scooter riders. Both travel extensively on them....one even pulls a small trailer. Both do a lot of motocamping. I am sure you are really going to enjoy that new ride......ride safe....and watch your back!

I'm not quite that old (53) and I've spent just about my entire life turning gasoline into grins starting with minibikes and go-carts, a Honda Z50, Honda XL 125 then in my college years rode Suzukis I turned in to racing bikes. I left a lot of racing compound tire rubber all over North Georgia and the Great Smoky Mountains back in the 70's/early 80's. Then the long break from scooters came but during that time I was racing cars, playing with jet skis, boats, and for the last decade I've been an active aerobatic competitor in a Pitts biplane - all gas to grins stuff.

I'm calling this K16GT not a sport/touring bike but a hooligan/touring bike. Hot snot it'll power on wheelie with the DCT turned off. The power and performance of this scoot is addictive! I'm still dating it and feeling it out it's going to take a fair amount of self control to behave on this thing!

Congrats on your new scoot. I rode one at the last international rally. You are one lucky son of a gun.

In addition to welcoming you to the MOA I want to invite you to check out our humble group of wondering BMW fans on the DELMARVA pennisula. We call ourselves the MidAtlantic Riders (MARs). We are a chartered club of the MOA #280 with a membership around 65 strong. We ride and meet monthly in the northern DE, southeastern PA and eastern MD areas. We will be gathering this Saturday at Arner's restaurant in New Castle DE at 9am if you would like to join us. Our web site is www.Midatlanticriders.com, please take a look at it. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me from the site.

Tom
:thumb:type

Hey Tom, I'll definitely check it out. This weekend does work but possibly in March it would be fun to meet up with you guys. Thanks for the invite!

Hi Wes and welcome! Another chartered club is in your area - BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington. www.bmwbmw.org Come nicer weather, there is a group of riders that meets at the City Dock in downtown Annapolis on Sunday morning for coffee and BS, often followed by a ride.

BMWBMW has some other events rotating between Baltimore/DC areas and northern VA. Stop by and say howdy sometime!

Welcome, Wes!

As Tom said, the MARs group is north of you but we venture to Annapolis on occasion!

Thanks for the warm welcome! You'll see me sometime this spring at one of your get-togethers or rides I'm sure. I just got back from my 600 mile check and spent a couple of hours on a romp around the area between Bob's and Annapolis. I love my Gerbings and my K16GT :thumb

Hi WES

Welcome aboard...I hope you give us some updates along the line on your new ride. I come to your area about once a year; my daughter lives in Davidsonville area on Patuxent River Rd. Lots of bikes travel through there on the weekends to enjoy the winding , tree shaded, (scary to me) roads. Enjoy your bike.
DW

I'm not quite that old (53) and I've spent just about my entire life turning gasoline into grins starting with minibikes and go-carts, a Honda Z50, Honda XL 125 then in my college years rode Suzukis I turned in to racing bikes. I left a lot of racing compound tire rubber all over North Georgia and the Great Smoky Mountains back in the 70's/early 80's. Then the long break from scooters came but during that time I was racing cars, playing with jet skis, boats, and for the last decade I've been an active aerobatic competitor in a Pitts biplane - all gas to grins stuff.

I'm calling this K16GT not a sport/touring bike but a hooligan/touring bike. Hot snot it'll power on wheelie with the DCT turned off. The power and performance of this scoot is addictive! I'm still dating it and feeling it out it's going to take a fair amount of self control to behave on this thing!

Love that use of the phrase.Spent most my like in MD.,and a lot of that time was on the Magothy,Severn rivers.In my teens it was downtown annapolis for the bars.I sooo miss the blue crabs.
I am jealous,I to had been out of riding for some time.When I dove back in it was to purchase a used 02 R1150RT a year and a half ago , thinking it was a big jump from my 500 Ascot to this BMW after 10years I took it easy.Dang,you jumped right in with the biggest toy BMW makes. Have fun:eat

Dang,you jumped right in with the biggest toy BMW makes. Have fun:eat

Yeah, I figured it was better to get something to grow in to than go through a few other bikes first. This may also be the last bike my wife lets me buy so I made it a good one:laugh

Welcome aboard...I hope you give us some updates along the line on your new ride. I come to your area about once a year; my daughter lives in Davidsonville area on Patuxent River Rd. Lots of bikes travel through there on the weekends to enjoy the winding , tree shaded, (scary to me) roads. Enjoy your bike.
DW

Those roads have become my regular "sneak out for an hour or two" routes. Some pretty twisty roads around Davidsonville and on down in to the southern parts of the county toward Chesapeake Beach or even on down toward Solomons. I feel very blessed to live in such a beautiful place with some decent roads nearby.

Hi all,

Wes

Congratulations on your new bike - you are certainly starting at the top! And, welcome to the BMW and MOA family. You'll find a lot of great, helpful, people in the club. See you on the road!

Yeah, I figured it was better to get something to grow in to than go through a few other bikes first. This may also be the last bike my wife lets me buy so I made it a good one:laugh

Thats what I thought I did until I saw what U bought.Eat some steamed crabs for me...but don't tell me about it:)

Thats what I thought I did until I saw what U bought.Eat some steamed crabs for me...but don't tell me about it:)

Naw, the local crabs are out of season now any who. That season starts for real about the end of May and runs through early October. So, anyone that wants to meet up for some fine steamed crabs during the warm weather, give me a shout! I know some pretty good crab deck places were a meet up might be fun.

Back