• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stebel Air Horn on K75

kentuvman

Have any of you mounted a Stebel Air Horn on a K75 and if so, would you let me know where you mounted it. The stock BMW horns are pretty weak and having one on my F650GS, I see the value of having one on the K75.

Thanks as always,

Ken in MN:bikes

Stebel Nautilus on K75s

I mounted this to existing threaded hole on lower triple clamp with 1/8 thick L Bracket that I made. I used the stock wiring and it works fine but I should add the necessary wire and relay I was a bit lazy and pressed for time.
If you have a "c" model this might not be a good option.

5.JPG

Hi Don - thanks for your reply - mine is an "S" and don't think I can mount it there. I'll keep poking around and am sure I'll figure it out.

It's tight on an S, but they will fit on a bracket bolted to the lower triple clamp.

The photo Don posted IS an S.

He was kind enough to remove the fairing for clarity.

I love the extra volume!!!

:dance :dance :dance

Below the radiator fairing

Not a Stebel, I mounted my Wolo below the radiator fairing. Should be similar.

BTW, anyone have observations, comparisons or preferences for Wolo or Stebel?

Horn1Medium.jpg

Horn2Medium.jpg

Off the bike

It 's a K75s,Here it is off the bike with bracket behind cylinder,
About 11/4wide and about 11/2x11/2inchs long and tall.
Fitment is a little close but it does work and nothing hits,
that was my main concern. After three or so months everything is fine

B1.JPG

Thanks to all of you for sharing and really going the extra mile.

This club is the best kept secret!!!

Ken in MN:dance

Have any of you mounted a Stebel Air Horn on a K75 and if so, would you let me know where you mounted it. The stock BMW horns are pretty weak and having one on my F650GS, I see the value of having one on the K75.

Thanks as always,

Ken in MN:bikes

Ken,
It's pretty easy to separate the two parts of that horn to help you mount it. I did this on my R1100RT and documented the procedure here:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=390021#Post390021

Power Requirements

:lurk

What did you guys do for power relays? I'm seem to recall the K75 wiring can't provide quite enough oomph?

I may have to visit Harbor Freight and check out the Wolo...

Nate,
Both the K-Bikes and the Oilheads have 30A relays for the horn. Some have added aux relays triggered by the existing horn relay but I think that is overkill.

I used to spend lots of time at the Harbor Freight warehouse in Camarillo when I lived in Simi Valley. Neat place.

Nate,
Both the K-Bikes and the Oilheads have 30A relays for the horn. Some have added aux relays triggered by the existing horn relay but I think that is overkill.

I used to spend lots of time at the Harbor Freight warehouse in Camarillo when I lived in Simi Valley. Neat place.

So it sounds like on a K75 that you can just pop out the old horn and wire in the new one without a new relay?

Anybody have suggestions on where to put one of these horns on a K75C? The OEM horn is behind the faring. I doubt there is room in there for one of these big boys.

If possibe keep the stock wimpy horn and add a LOUD life saving horn. Use the stock horn for moderate use such as parking lots to make pedestrians and parking cars aware of you. Use the loud horn for situations where applicable. A lot of people don't realive that big trucks have the usual steering wheel service horn for appropiate situations and the loud air horn for those situations. U don't allways want to blow someone totally away at the crosswalk and parking lot.

Case in point....I came across a guy with an old Goldwing at a big box store. It had a triple horn arrangement mounted on it....Huge, I said it looked like it was from a train....He said Yep, Union Pacific. Then he fired up the bike, started the compressor and demonstrated it. I was literally blown away, but not nearly as much as the unsuspecting guy coming out of the store with a bag of groceries, dropped his bags and actually fell down.....I mean, it was a train horn afterall.

I have a K75S and installed my Stebel in same position as Picture #2.

I didn't use the relay because it works okay without it.

The only thing I don't like about the K75 is hitting the horn is such a non-intuitive movement. I have a hard time hitting it at a critical moment.

But the horn gets everyone's attention. Very Loud.

I have a K75S and installed my Stebel in same position as Picture #2.

I didn't use the relay because it works okay without it.

The only thing I don't like about the K75 is hitting the horn is such a non-intuitive movement. I have a hard time hitting it at a critical moment.

But the horn gets everyone's attention. Very Loud.

How did you actually attach the horn like pic #2? I think I should be able to do the same with my K75C.

I agree the horn button isn't in the best of positions. I've tried to train myself to put my thumb on the button every time something catches my attention and my hand/foot cover the breaks just in case. That way I'm ready to use it if need be.

Learning to ride a K75S

I went from a F650 to the K75S and have really had to retrain myself riding this bike. It is really tough to make tight slow turns with the fairing and windshield and requires a lot of concentration - at least for me.
with the narrow handlebars, the ride is just a little tighter than the F650. It's really smooth and rides nice but is just different - handles different, turns different - in someways a little less forgiving than the F. But a nice ride. There's a slick airplane, the V Tail Bonanza - a lot of pilots bought the farm by overspeeding or overstressing the stabilizer - but what a sweet plane if you know how to fly it. The K75 is somewhat similar - just my experience..

Back