• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

lots of interest

The Blue Max
Hi, was at the annual winter bike show here and saw both new models. Must admit I was prepared to be skeptical, in all honesty couldn't be. The GTL drew the most attention by far, even the boys from the dark side were giving it a long look see and very few derogatory remarks. It is heavier than my '07RT and more complex but did not see it as intimidating size wise. One of the staffers told me sixteen orders were taken at the show in Toronto. Only concern would be servicing costs as has been mentioned. If BMW's intent was to produce a smooth, high speed luxury type tourer, imho they have hit a home run.

I have read all the reviews, looked at the pictures,but haven't had the opportunity to see one up close yet.Everything looks like this will be my next ride.I do want to wait about a year or so just so BMW can get the bugs worked out. If it's anything like my RT,this will be another great bike...:):wow

Is the tail light round? Can I fix it in Cameroon if I need to?

No, and definitely not.

Wonder what kind of updates the GT-1 will need to service/troubleshoot these.

They look sharp (except for that funky dash) but even my RT had teething problems after two years of production runs and continues with the fuel gauges.

It's not likely but if this engine suffers similar issues as the K1200/1300 it could be troublesome.

Time will tell...

My brother-in-law was at the Edmonton show yesterday and spent 8 hours looking around. In the end he ordered a GT and was quoted July delivery. He said the hardest part of his decision process was picking the colour - struggled to pick between white and red... And finally went for red. I must have talked enough about our little club as well because he signed up for a membership on the spot. Or was it your excellent sales skills Martin? Look forward to having him on here as he has ben rding for some time on his ST all over Canada & USA - I think planning a trip to the Grande Canyon this year (on his ST).
:clap

Is the tail light round? Can I fix it in Cameroon if I need to?

Paul, is this really the kind of bike you would ride in Cameroon? Could a rider repair a new(er) GS/RT/R there?:dunno Of the few negatives I heard, nearly all came from our side and from owners of the older models.

Paul, is this really the kind of bike you would ride in Cameroon? Could a rider repair a new(er) GS/RT/R there?:dunno Of the few negatives I heard, nearly all came from our side and from owners of the older models.

The article in Cycle World pointed out that these bikes were designed primarily for North American roads, with their long distances on relatively good pavement. For me, I'd rather have an RT in Europe because of the short distances between towns, and for the outback I'd rather have a GS or true dual sport. But for hauling down the empty two-lanes of North Dakota or through the canyons of Colorado or on the interstates wherever, I look foward to luxury sport-touring that can haul all day long comfortably and with pizzazz. :dance

(Now if the thing will just work as it is supposed to... :()

- Kate

No, but the first time I heard that question in 1985 I wouldn't have been riding a K100RT in Camaroon either. I heard it again in 1986 when I forsook my Airhead riding brethren and sisthren and bought a K75. Of course - 370,000 miles later (when it was wrecked) it had never needed roadside repair of any sort, making the question rather moot.

It would appear we agree that time proved naysayers wrong so yes it is a moot point. I remember being told upon the purchase of my '83RT it had way too much electronic gadgetry, at least you could fix the points on a /5.

My brother-in-law was at the Edmonton show yesterday and spent 8 hours looking around. In the end he ordered a GT and was quoted July delivery. He said the hardest part of his decision process was picking the colour - struggled to pick between white and red... And finally went for red. I must have talked enough about our little club as well because he signed up for a membership on the spot. Or was it your excellent sales skills Martin?
:clap

I signed up 3 people who placed an order for the GT at the Edmonton show! It Sure generated a lot of interest.
Also very interesting was the new Norton, and the MV. The 800 Triumph looks good also.

I signed up 3 people who placed an order for the GT at the Edmonton show! It Sure generated a lot of interest.
Also very interesting was the new Norton, and the MV. The 800 Triumph looks good also.

It's unfortunate BMW was not able to feature a display at all the North American shows. Who knows, maybe it's just BMWNA.

Of course not- no machines have been made available yet. Interesting the folks spend this kind of money on something that exists only as examples of what is in the pipe.

Of course not- no machines have been made available yet. Interesting the folks spend this kind of money on something that exists only as examples of what is in the pipe.

:confused: Spend what money? I put a small deposit down on a GT. They call me when it comes in. I go look at the bike, take it for a test ride, and then decide whether I want it. If I decide I don't want it, they give me my deposit back.

The only money I've spent is the interest I would earn on my deposit if I left it in the bank. At today's rates that's negligible $. And for that neglible cost, I get to dream about riding this new bike next summer. That may not make sense to everyone, but to me it sounds like a fair exchange.

- Kate

:confused: Spend what money? I put a small deposit down on a GT. They call me when it comes in. I go look at the bike, take it for a test ride, and then decide whether I want it. If I decide I don't want it, they give me my deposit back.

The only money I've spent is the interest I would earn on my deposit if I left it in the bank. At today's rates that's negligible $. And for that neglible cost, I get to dream about riding this new bike next summer. That may not make sense to everyone, but to me it sounds like a fair exchange.

- Kate

Makes sense to me. We all dream, and sometimes our dreams cost big $. But I'm looking forward to a picture of you on that bike. :thumb What color?

Makes sense to me. We all dream, and sometimes our dreams cost big $. But I'm looking forward to a picture of you on that bike. :thumb What color?

I ordered the light gray that looks like white in all the pictures. :dance

I got a call last night from BMWNA, asking which seat I want. I can order the standard or the low seat now at no cost, but if I want a different seat once the bike is in it'll cost me the price of the seat. The standard seat on the GT is 32.3" at its lower setting. My RT is 32.2". Close enough.

I asked when the bikes will come in. She said there is no firm date - I would imagine BMW is scrambling to work out bugs at this point - but she said the first bikes should be available in May. (May is when the snow finally melts around here.)

I'll post a picture when I get (if I get) the bike. I'll be easy to recognize because I'll be the one with the big grin. :D

- Kate

Back