• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Traffic Lights - Odd Question

A little California specific update: I had an opportunity to have a conversation with one of our Motor Officers here in Pismo Beach, California; he was sitting in a parking lot and I approached him on my bike (an old /5 isn't too threatening). He stated that in California, per the California Vehicle Code (CVC), there is no prescribed time or number of light-cycles to wait for a light that does not recognize your presence. Paraphrasing, "One light cycle and then, when it is safe to proceed" was his official recommendation. Makes sense to me.

A change in legislation (requiring that lights be capable of recognizing the presence of bicycles and motorcycles) was attempted in California in 2002. It passed both houses of the legislature but was vetoed by, then, Governor Grey Davis because, "it would result in unknown reimbursable state-mandated costs on local government by requiring them to install these new detectors." This only addressed the requirement of traffic lights to be able to recognize bicycles and motorcycles ... not what the operator was expected/allowed to do if the light did not recognize his presence. The legislation within the CVC Section 21450.5 Traffic Actuated Signals Detection of Motorcycles and Bicycleshttp://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21450_5.htm (effective 1 Jan. 2008) states:

Cities, counties, and cities and counties shall not be required to comply with the provisions contained in subdivision (b) until the Department of Transportation, in consultation with these entities, has established uniform standards, specifications, and guidelines for the detection of bicycles and motorcycles by traffic-actuated signals and related signal timing.

I have had very good luck with contacting the agency that controls the signal. I literally have had them out adjusting the signal the next day. For my hwy section you can send an email. I use words in my email like dangerous, hazardous etc and that seems to trigger a better response. I have done the same for pot holes. Report it and wait. Throw in a few good words and it gets filled pretty quick.

As for running a light when it does not cycle. You may want to carry a copy of that law on your bike.

As for stopping on the loop at the intersection. In my area they are often circular loops and and I find if I stop near the edge of them so my cat is over them, it works better.

I've seen add ons that make your bike appear bigger to these sensors and will trip them. Yes these sensors can be a pain in the you know what

After reading this thread I thought of an article that Bob Higdon wrote for the Iron Butt Association magazine sometime ago. I tried an internet search for the article, and failing that, I decided to write to Bob about locating it. He sent me the article in Word format that I've hopefully included here.

As with all of his musings, I think you'll find this both funny and enlightening and told in a way only he can tell a story. If you enjoy this article, I've included links to 2 other ride stories he has written while searching for this one.

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/getArchiveddocument.cfm?DocID=139

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/news1175.html

BTW, if you're not a subscriber to the Iron Butt Association magazine you're missing the best published motorcycling magazine available.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

THANK YOU, Bill. For any of you haven't checked out these links, all I can say is the Bob Higdon is an -ex-lawyer who can write some very memorable prose!

PA law (I just looked it up) says (I think you are in PA):

(c) Inoperable or malfunctioning signal.--If a traffic-
control signal is out of operation or is not functioning
properly, vehicular traffic facing a:
(1) Green or yellow signal may proceed with caution as
indicated in subsection (a)(1) and (2).
(2) Red or completely unlighted signal shall stop in the
same manner as at a stop sign, and the right to proceed shall
be subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a
stop sign as provided in section 3323 (relating to stop signs
and yield signs).
(Dec. 21, 1998, P.L.1126, No.151, eff. 60 days)

An interesting result of this question I posted. I searched the above reference and was able to print out the whole section, about four pages referring to traffic signals and I highlighted (2) above. Well, today I spent several hours with a twp police officer and a retired Lt of the Pa State Police. I was working with them at a seasonal fair that was at the university my wife works at. I helped collect money from the vendors and ticket sales and they provided armed security. I asked both men their opinions of my situation as I originally stated at the beginning of this thread. Both of them stated that I would have to follow the law about the red light and that I should try not to use intersections that present that problem and if I do run into this again, I should turn right and go home that way.
Well, I told them about the above state statute and neither of them thought it was possible. When I brought the four page in to them, they were surprised about the wording and had never thought about approaching the problem like that. They both stated, that going by the above statute, I have the right to consider the light as being out of calibration and should proceed with due caution.

Damn, I trumped the police.

Another thing you can do is call the local traffic office responsible for that light and ask them to re-calibrate it. Where I live in NC, our city traffic guys actually did a TV presentation on how they wanted to be called when any one encountered a problematic mag detection signal and said they normally went out to re-calibrate them within 2 days and showed the tools they used to do it- they're also doing timed light projects to speed traffic flow and talked about the details of those. I've only seen 2 bad mag detectors in all the years I've lived in NC- one was way out in the boonies on a light that was only an orange during daylight hours (ran that one after 3 songs on the radio even though I was in no hurry) and for some reason a stop at night when no one was there (??, never did figure out that logic) and the last one was in Wilmington a few years back. It was re-calibrated with no further troubles.

From a purely mechanical (?) point of view, if you loiter in the center, and on the center, of the pick up field I've found that it tends to trigger the lights better. "Center" is about 10 feet from the end of the field for the most part. Of course, if you can't position yourself there you're screwed, but late at night it shouldn't be too hard. Personally, I'm with the rest of the crew ... I'd blow through it after the count of ten if no other traffic is present.

InductiveLoopSensor(1).jpg

I haven't seen sensors like this anywhere I have lived or traveled through. Generally what I see are ovals without the center line. I end up trying to sit over the cuton one side of the lane - same effect, different location.

Someone mentioned motor officers checking lights sensors. Remember that most motor officers ride HD bikes that have significantly more steel in them than BMW or sport bikes so they may not have a problem tripping the magnets.

When the traffic is clear and no cops in sight ,I run them
Nearest city has intersection cameras-are they cool with the 2 light cycle thing,etc.? How do you know where the edge of the sensor field is positioned(or the center depending on which is best for a MC?) if the area has been repaved?

The funny thing about this is that if you don't/can't trigger the sensor, technically based on how your state laws are written, you are stuck. If you do anything from that lane other than turn left on a green you are breaking the law. Most if not all left turn lanes are separated from the through lanes with a fat solid white line on the right and yellow line(s) on the left. So if you are at the stop line and give up and pull out of the lane and proceed straight or something else, you have violated the lane use by crossing the white line. Its a turn only lane. If you make a right at the intersection and do a u turn, depending again on your location and local laws, you may be breaking the law again.

So call your traffic office to report the intersection and carry the wording of your state laws with your because as has been demonstrated, there are laws cops don't know. Have you ever actually looked at how thick law books are?

Strange. It seems like this has been a problem for quite some time and nobody here mentions the "red(green) light trigger"??? :browMaybe many of you have bad experience or think it is a scam, but I have one installed in all of my bikes with a "low iron content", usually taped in the belly pan of the fairing or to the horizontal bar of the centerstand. They work for me, together with moving my bike on top of the visible groove of the wire location in the pavement, usually on the left side.
I haven't been caught on a red light for years.:thumb

If you are talking about those magnets that tape on your bike, forget it with a GSA. I'm into to those for about 40$, with no positive results. I was told by a Mass. state highway worker, that some lights coming off the highway need more than one vehicle to trigger, and sure enough,at some lights if you back up and then pull forward again they work.

If you are talking about those magnets that tape on your bike, forget it with a GSA. I'm into to those for about 40$, with no positive results. I was told by a Mass. state highway worker, that some lights coming off the highway need more than one vehicle to trigger, and sure enough,at some lights if you back up and then pull forward again they work.

Agreed.

Had one - didn't do a thing. :banghead

Agreed.

Had one - didn't do a thing. :banghead

I thought they discombobulated the molecular field of the flux capacitor resident in all red light sensors - thereby turning the light green or causing an earthquake. Yours must have been set on "Earthquake". You need to open it up and select "Green Light" on the dip switch settings. People in Iran will thank you.

Hey, its late in the day and I'm tired. :D

I thought they discombobulated the molecular field of the flux capacitor resident in all red light sensors - thereby turning the light green or causing an earthquake. Yours must have been set on "Earthquake". You need to open it up and select "Green Light" on the dip switch settings. People in Iran will thank you.

Hey, its late in the day and I'm tired. :D

But still funny. :laugh:laugh

I used a magnetic thing about ten years ago, it worked. It would not work now.

The sensors have been updated. My bike will trigger most here.

The triggers have been updated also. As I said, mine do work. Maybe it depends on which State you're in.

Back