• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russell vs other custom seats

Whether you ride a Rocky, a Rick, a Russel, or a Sargent, they're all going to work well. Just ask the folks who have them. But before you go shelling out the big bucks for a more comfortable butt, I would highly recommend spending far less on a set of Bead Rider beads and check out what a huge difference they make.

The beads stay between you and the seat so it makes little difference what the seat has going on. Chances are you'll find a big improvement with long days in the saddle plus you'll save a lot of money. If after spending the $35 on a Bead Rider and you're still not happy, then go to plan B and get a custom saddle. Don't start the other way around.

Unlike other remedies such as shearling pads or some foam device, the beads spread your weight over more area plus they allow air flow under you to keep you dry.

Last edited:
Thanks. any online sources to purchase these from - that you recommend?
Neil

Whether you ride a Rocky, a Rick, a Russel, or a Sargent, they're all going to work well. Just ask the folks who have them. But before you go shelling out the big bucks for a more comfortable butt, I would highly recommend spending far less on a set of Bead Rider beads and check out what a huge difference they make.

The beads stay between you and the seat so it makes little difference what the seat has going on. Chances are you'll find a big improvement with long days in the saddle plus you'll save a lot of money. If after spending the $35 on a Bead Rider and you're still not happy, then go to plan B and get a custom saddle. Don't start the other way around.

Unlike other remedies such as shearling pads or some foam device, the beads spread your weight over more area plus they allow air flow under you to keep you dry.

Wow! This site has saved me a huge amount of dollars and headaches. I was seriously thinking of a Mayer seat. Will go with a Sargent now.

Funny how everyone will take something different from what was posted above. I will be likely go with a mayer saddle. I need to talk to both saddle makers to determine which one I will finally go with. I will also do a ride in and get it made the same day. So should be no worries about deposits or return of the same. I will likely try the beads too, before I purchase a new saddle.

Neil

Funny how everyone will take something different from what was posted above. I will be likely go with a mayer saddle. I need to talk to both saddle makers to determine which one I will finally go with. I will also do a ride in and get it made the same day. So should be no worries about deposits or return of the same. I will likely try the beads too, before I purchase a new saddle.

Neil

Word of caution: When talking between the two companies and mentioning the other brand, keep in mind there was bad blood between them. Rick Mayor and "Rocky" Mayor are brothers who were raised working with their father Bill who is no long living. Rocky stayed on with his dad's company, Bill Mayor, while Rick started his own to compete. Don't know if things have changed, but for years they didn't talk to one another or care to hear about the others company being mentioned.

bill mayer saddle

I rode 5029 miles in 12 days on my Bill Mayer saddle on a trip from NC to Colorado and back- never once felt any pain and I have had two total hip replacements at age 58! Wonderful saddle that I would not trade for anything!

I rode 5029 miles in 12 days on my Bill Mayer saddle on a trip from NC to Colorado and back- never once felt any pain and I have had two total hip replacements at age 58! Wonderful saddle that I would not trade for anything!

That's great information. How many years have you had the saddle? any issues with workmanship?

Bill Mayer saddle

Saddle was only 2 months old when I went on my Colorado trip. Workmanship is perfect-absolutely beautiful-no "issues" at all!

FWIW, Rick has a nice Thanksgiving special posted on his website. Buy one, get one half off. Perfect timing for us!

I have a Rick Mayer saddle on my other bike and loooove it!

Buy a Russell Day Long and you will receive a very high quality, comfortable seat with no problems or drama. I've heard (first hand) of the problems that others have had that would cause me NOT to buy from either of the Mayer brothers. Conversely, I have owned over a half dozen Russell seats and have never had one problem with the seats or the financial dealings.

I have had issues with Russell, stems from a problem that didn't involve them, but got a complete lack of understanding and very very bad customer service from them after discussing the issue. Basically them telling me to F off. That's fine cause I can take my money and buy from one of Mayer companies. Really disappointing because I always heard they had good customer service.

I have a Bill Mayer on my K1200GT. I chose Bill after researching both. I found no negative comments about Bill or his saddles.

Bill vs Rick vs Sargent

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have had both a Sargent and a Rick Mayer seat on my now sold Oilhead RT. I originally ordered the Sargent but sold it after less than a full season. It was flat, hard, and only slightly more comfortable than the stock torture platform. I ordered a Rick Mayer when I stored my bike for the winter, received it before getting my bike back on the road in the spring, and never looked back. Very comfortable and very durable. The seat was perfect when I sold the oilhead after 9 years and 160,000 km. Back then (probably 1999) it was my understanding that Bill Mayer did not make custom seats, but had small, medium, large, and extra fat (or whatever he called it) and you made your choice. It seems that has changed and they are custom now.

My hexhead RT seat is now in Rick Mayer's hands and I should receive it before Xmas, though it cannot be used until April (maybe March if we're lucky). I hope it is as comfortable and as durable as the previous seat. I do have concerns about the comfort as I do not see how it can be made as well as the oilhead seat as the back of the "pocket" on the hexhead seat is the front of the passenger seat, rather than part of the rider's section. Can anyone confirm that Rick Mayer (or anyone) can make a hexhead seat as comfortable as the oilhead?

I have a Rick Mayer seat and it is great! The seat makes the whole riding experience better since I spend alot of time on my R1200RT. I have long legs and got a set of foot peg lowering blocks to finish it up. I would get another Rick Mayer seat if I had to choose. Make sure you get the loaner seats from him if you get the work done.

I have never seen Bill's work but Rick does an awesome job. I'm another very satisfied customer.

Does anyone have any pictures of Bill or Rick seats that you could post? I'm particularly interested in seats for an RT; but all posts welcome. I would like to see the different design and stitching.

Does anyone have any pictures of Bill or Rick seats that you could post? I'm particularly interested in seats for an RT; but all posts welcome. I would like to see the different design and stitching.

Rick Mayer:

rm-seat-top-side-best.jpg

Bill Mayer:

BM-seat.jpg

Sargent:

sgt-seat-top.jpg

Russell:

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/images/P6173347.JPG
Not shown, but linked, HUGE photo!

Corbin:

seat1.jpg

I went through 5 seats on my R1200GS. The Rick Mayer was the last one, but it was no better than my off the shelf Sargent, and didn't hold up nearly as well. I gave the Sargent to my friend with 25K miles on it, and it now has about 60K miles on it and looks great still! The Rick Mayer was looking rough at 10K miles when I sold the bike.

Jim :brow

Rick Mayer saddle photo posted above, but because you must have missed it I am reposting it here:

rt-saddle.jpg

Back