• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

North Carolina: The Tarheel State

Grandpa Ken

aka: Grandpa Ken
Hello from NC. I'm a new member and first time BMW owner. I purchased a F800GS and I am very happy with my new bike. I have over 40+ years of two wheel riding, from mini-bikes, to dirt bikes, to sport bikes, I like them all.

How about it NC riders, let's hear what's going on in the Tarheel state.

Thanks
Ken

Welcome to the Old North State

Welcome to North Carolina, land of the twisty state roads:thumb

Try http://www.tarheelbmw.org/ for some basic contacts and some links. The Tarheel Travelers are the local club for you (Archer Lodge is between Clayton and Wendell, SE of Raleigh) Hope you will come to a TT meeting soon, the February meeting is at my house!:dance

NC rider.

I keep my bike in Maggie Valley at my cabin in the mountains, 15 minutes from the parkway.
Any other BMWMOA riders in the area or around Waynesville or Asheville?
Mo

Cabin?? Between TN an WV??

I keep my bike in Maggie Valley at my cabin in the mountains, 15 minutes from the parkway.

You do realize that your cabin between the MOA International and the RA National (July 19-23?) will be worth MILLIONS! :deal

Cabins in the Blue Ridge will be very prized for those lucky folks that will be able to make both of them:thumb

Mo

mo - we have a house in the crabtree community, our address is clyde, in the great state of mountainia.

what do you ride?

ian

A Great State . . . .

North Carolina is a great place to ride. I ride year 'round and really enjoy the cooler weather. A trip on the Outer Banks is a must do! We have many secondary roads with twisties and interesting towns and places to visit..
NC is mostly transplanted northerners now but they bring a lot to the party.
Come visit us!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT:thumb

Clyde/Maggie Valley

mo - we have a house in the crabtree community, our address is clyde, in the great state of mountainia.

what do you ride?

ian

Hi Ian,
I am now riding an 08, R1200RT that I have just recently purchased. This is the first BMW for me so I am still getting used to it. I have been a Yamaha rider for many years along with a few others thrown in the mix. I went to the RT on account of the weight. Really like it.
My Place is in Maggie Valley at the Smoky Mountain Retreat. It's across from the B&P station on Socco Rd. or highway 19. Nice area. Nice people. I go through Clyde quite a bit also. Nice small towns through there. Hope to see you riding one day.
Mo

Hi Ian,
I am now riding an 08, R1200RT that I have just recently purchased. This is the first BMW for me so I am still getting used to it. I have been a Yamaha rider for many years along with a few others thrown in the mix. I went to the RT on account of the weight. Really like it.
My Place is in Maggie Valley at the Smoky Mountain Retreat. It's across from the B&P station on Socco Rd. or highway 19. Nice area. Nice people. I go through Clyde quite a bit also. Nice small towns through there. Hope to see you riding one day.
Mo

Hey guys. I do the same routine with one of my bikes (R1200GS) always available at my cabin in Maggie Valley. I ride all over Western NC, Eastern TN, GA, VA, etc. The cabin and bike are winterized right now, but back in action come next March. Send me a PM any time you want to get together for a ride. Cheers.

Mike

Mo

I am in Waynesville and I have two BMWs. We ride quite often. When you are up here, look me up.

Tommy

Hi Ian,
Mo

same here!

i do spend a bit of time on the gravel roads, which your RT ain't going to like, but maybe we can get together with tbourke sometime and explore?

ian

hey guys, Wade here, living in Mooresville on Lake Norman. Moved here from New Orleans about 3.5 years ago, and just love those mountain roads. Have an 01 R1100RL ... best bike ever. We have a local club we meet every 2nd and 4th Sunday for Breakfast and welcome all new memebers to join. We even get in some spirited rides. http://www.carolinasbmwmoa.org/ join us .

Wade

Hello NC

Based in Mooresville, outside Charlotte. Looking at the GA Mountain Rally first weekend in May. GA, TN, NC mountain riding. It will break that GS in nicely.

Based in Mooresville, outside Charlotte. Looking at the GA Mountain Rally first weekend in May. GA, TN, NC mountain riding. It will break that GS in nicely.

do come down. if you are interested, i can suggest a few good dirt roads to toss in along the way.

ian

Carolinas got it all!

My most recent vacations were all in the Carolinas -- you've got it all. Most recently visited Maggie Valley where the Wheels Through Time museum is located. Word was that the owner was going to close and move the place -- is that accurate?

What a great place to live.:thumb

My most recent vacations were all in the Carolinas -- you've got it all. Most recently visited Maggie Valley where the Wheels Through Time museum is located. Word was that the owner was going to close and move the place -- is that accurate?

What a great place to live.:thumb

That is accurate, he has shut his doors and moved to, I believe the south west, but not absolutely sure of that. It was a great museum with some out standing one of a kind bikes and they all ran.

Ian,

I'm down in South Carolina, but I get up to the mountains every chance I get. Would it be possible for you to share some good GS routes for me to try? I've just converted to a GS from an LT. I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

Back