• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Rally Location

Nothing on their web/forum about this.... wonder why this info is made mention of
on our rally forum anyhow; sure to confuse someone. Will they be able to top
this years poor timing ( Father's day weekend) in Colorado; with maybe....
a Mother's Day conflict! :banghead

Nothing on their web/forum about this.... wonder why this info is made mention of
on our rally forum anyhow; sure to confuse someone. Will they be able to top
this years poor timing ( Father's day weekend) in Colorado; with maybe....
a Mother's Day conflict! :banghead

Inquiring minds want to know. The title of this thread is 2013 Rally location...

The RA board is pleased to announce the site of the 2013 rally. It will be held June 20-23, 2013 at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.
To everyone who asked "when are we going back to Biltmore?", the answer is next year.
Great site, great riding and some surprises are in store for 2013. If you've never been to the Biltmore Estate this will be a great time to go.

Ron

Inquiring minds want to know. The title of this thread is 2013 Rally location...

The RA board is pleased to announce the site of the 2013 rally. It will be held June 20-23, 2013 at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.
To everyone who asked "when are we going back to Biltmore?", the answer is next year.
Great site, great riding and some surprises are in store for 2013. If you've never been to the Biltmore Estate this will be a great time to go.

Ron

This is great news for me. I am limited to 500 miles due to my wife's medical condition which prevents me from rallies west of the Mississippi. I think the RA would be smart to have their rallies on the opposite side of the country every year so those that have limits on distance can attend one or the other. The RA is able to have their rallies smaller rallies in great locations that could handle a MOA rally. My favorite RA rally was at Barber's in Birmingham followed by the rally at the Biltmore. My favorite MOA rally was Johnson City followed by Bloomsburg.

Ron
I would suspect with the MOA being on the west coast next year that the RA can expect record braking attendance at the Biltmore.:thumb

I would suspect with the MOA being on the west coast next year that the RA can expect record braking attendance at the Biltmore.:thumb

Should be BIG. Hope that the RA learned from the last Biltmore Rally. Don't think that they expected the turnout that they got. Logistics were a bit of a problem. It was also hot!

It IS a great place to have a rally, won't miss it.

What, me worry?

Let's not forget the west is the birthplace of the MOA and the RA for that matter. If anything it should be in the west twice as often! :brow Oops, under the new plan it is going to be here twice as often now that there are only four regions. Gee, that means it will be in the west every four years so cripes, it could be in Oregon again in 2017! It would be nice to see a decent venue pop up in California but trust me, they don't exist in the size required in a temperate climate or traffic free area.

To those that have never put on an event larger than Thanksgiving dinner let me say the planning and logistics of a 200 person rally are quite daunting let alone the upper end of 10K. These decisions are not made lightly and with a great deal of forethought and comprehensive operational measure applied years in advance. There is a great deal to consider besides the distance from your house. It's soooo easy to sit back and decide where and when and what you'll pick to attend while hundreds of people are planning on your behalf. It could be time to get some skin in the game and participate rather than window shop and blog about your distance misfortunes. The location and the ride from your place is only limited by "your" imagination. :thumb

Should be BIG. Hope that the RA learned from the last Biltmore Rally. Don't think that they expected the turnout that they got. Logistics were a bit of a problem. It was also hot!

I suspect they did learn, after all they even announced it a year ahead of time. Their also having it after Americade so I would suspect a good amount of vendors and barring any ridiculous heat waves like we had last year in Bloomsburg I would suspect an attendance in the 5K range.

I remember it well. I live between 2 and 3 hours from the Biltmore and the weather was excessively hot and dry for the area and for the time of year. It was as odd as the heat at Bloomsburg last year. They underestimated the attendance and the biggest problem was with the showers. There weren't enough of them and the ones they had didn't work well. A lot of people decided the river was a much better choice.

I think it is a great choice and I think Asheville having a new BMW motorcycle dealership is a big plus. I-26 from I-81 to Asheville is the only interstate I have ever ridden that has enjoyable hills and curves for a motorcycle (truckers hate it).

I remember it well. I live between 2 and 3 hours from the Biltmore and the weather was excessively hot and dry for the area and for the time of year. It was as odd as the heat at Bloomsburg last year. They underestimated the attendance and the biggest problem was with the showers. There weren't enough of them and the ones they had didn't work well. A lot of people decided the river was a much better choice.

I think it is a great choice and I think Asheville having a new BMW motorcycle dealership is a big plus. I-26 from I-81 to Asheville is the only interstate I have ever ridden that has enjoyable hills and curves for a motorcycle (truckers hate it).
I think if you follow the progress of the RA rally, you will see the shower problem, along with the camping area has always been addressed and is resolved. Stay tuned..........

I too though that I-26 was one of the coolest highways I have riden on. :thumb

Wish them the very best!

For those who can not, for whatever reason make it to Salem, it gives another choice.

We drove by Copper Mtn last week on the way to Moab and it looked like a great crowd.

Wish them the very best!

For those who can not, for whatever reason make it to Salem, it gives another choice.

We drove by Copper Mtn last week on the way to Moab and it looked like a great crowd.

We were a great crowd.

It is now posted on the RA website:

BMW Riders Association International News and Information
Biltmore in 2013.

We are back at the Biltmore in 2013: June 20-23

Make your plans now to attend:

George Vanderbilt created Biltmore as an escape from everyday life. Now, you are invited to explore that escape for yourself. A visit to the 8,000-acre estate in the mountains of Asheville, North Carolina provides limitless fun.

Your rally admission includes self-guided tours of the breathtaking Biltmore House & Gardens and the Antler Hill VillageÔÇöfeaturing the Winery, The Biltmore Legacy, Village Green, and Farm.

Play in the Biltmore backyard with an array of outdoor activities, indulge in one-of-a-kind shopping, and savor the restaurantsÔÇÿ exceptional fare. Join us at the Biltmore in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Asheville, NC.

... the weather was excessively hot and dry for the area and for the time of year.

it was in the middle of a really bad drought for this area... one that hasn't eased totally.

when i spoke with the Biltmore people about the possibility of an MOA rally around 2004, they didn't think they could handle a crowd of that size, so they said no.

still, Asheville is an excellent place for a rally, and Debbi is a smart person. She certainly learned from the first rally there, and I am sure the next will outdo the first.

Looking forward to that big parking lot party in front of the mansion again.

Ian

Back