• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Do You Wear ARAI?

I know they are expensive and I have used one myself, but dude the helmet is 4 years old. Time to get a new one anyway. Mine get pretty rank even after you wash the liners.

I have had three of them and think they are way overrated not to mention their prices are rediculas! I buy the lower end now and find them very good if not better than Arai. They are well made fit well and go through the same rigorous testing.

Stop drinking the kool-aid. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is any better than another lower priced brand. In my sixty years of riding and racing I have had most of the familiar brands.

Jack

Got to say it as I am going crazy. If another brand fits you then good. Arai is better for many because it fits the hard to fit better. They are the only brand with different shapes. Nothing else fits me like my Profile. None. Before that I had hot spots front and rear or I bought a helmet too large. Nobody said Arai was better in this thread but already a couple have called the brand over rated. Over rated is a helmet you have to fit with spoons. Arai is hand made which is why the price is high. I have seen plenty of helmet shtta cost less, look good and are made with great feeling padding and soft material but they don't fit. So no matter how great they are for you they are over rated for me because they don't fit which is dangerous. I find helmets that fit right, are comfortable and offer me great protection a bargain.

I work 5 minutes from Service Pavillion, in New Holland, PA. Great people, even though I dont own an Arai, as my HJC iS-16 fits my head just right.

If it fits, buy it.

+1 Jogitu,

It is all about the fit. I paid about $705 for our 2 Arai helmets in '09. I don't get a headache while I wear it, it is fairly quiet all sealed up and has great ventilation. The shield ain't the greatest but it is the best helmet I have ever worn. If I find one that fits better I'll buy it too.

Back to the OP's original predicament, side pod covers being hard to find. I just checked EBay, searched for "Arai Vector pods" found 34 results, with one seller offering about 50 colors , NIB Arai stock.

I have owned the Profile style of the Arai helmet since 2006. I have had vent problems several years ago and when I called Arai directly and told them the issue... they just sent out the parts... and I received them in the mail quickly. The helmet has been a pretty good helmet... unfortunately it isn't as snug when I first got it. I have not been wearing it that much because of that. I can't complain about their customer service as they have been wonderful. Call Arai directly. PM me if need number.

Arai fit is worth the extra $$$ IMHO, Arai offers a fit for almost anyone. I have a Big round noggin, (XL Quantum II) and Arai always fit the best, I couldn't even get a Shuberth on my head in XXL!

A few years ago I went on a quest to try to find a good helmet at less $$ tried on 10 or 15 different brands and could never get a good fit, except from Arai.

I'm a bit more concerned about how a helmet fits then the initial price. Started riding with Arai's about twenty years ago (been moto enthusiast for 49 years..yikes, I'm old!). The interior shape (currently use an XD3) fits me far better than any other lid. Every year at the International show I try on other brands...and have yet to find something as comfy.

But then I've never had anything break or go missing like the OP, so perhaps my comments are irrelevant...

:dance

I've broken the side elements in my profile and bought the replacement parts in person at Coleman Powersports in Falls Church VA. They showed me how to fix, as they also indicated the pieces crack frequently. If you're still looking, I would give them a call to ask them about it, don't rely on their website. I know from recent boot shopping that they show inventory on the web based on their suppliers for the online shopper.

IMHO, you are totally wrong. Besides, those Pacific Blue ones are WAY too slow!!!

:bolt

Not so sure about that. The speedo on mine reads to 260 which of course is its top speed. Otherwise, why would it read that high? :laugh

BTW, trip to Rich's is in the offing.

Sorry for thread derail, everyone!

I've got a Signet-Q I'm not gentle with, and I've had no problems with it. Best fitting helmet I've ever worn.

Stop drinking the kool-aid. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is any better than another lower priced brand. In my sixty years of riding and racing I have had most of the familiar brands.

Jack

I own five different brands of helmets right now including three Arais. Consider the Arais worth the price and won't buy anything else.

Snell rating is a Snell rating, no matter what the helmet costs, but an Arai is the ONLY helmet that will fit my potato/watermelon shaped head, and the Signet fits it perfectly. I have wore my helmet for 10 hours non stop before, and not a bit of discomfort. I will continue to pay their prices because it fits.

And here's food for thought. Some riders think nothing of spending over 20,000 for a bike, thousands of dollars for the latest greatest clothes that says "'Stich" somewhere on it, but get cheap when they are buying protection for the only bone and organ that can't mend itself! Spend $1,000 to prevent road rash, but shy away from $600 to protect your skull and brain? :dunno (thread hijack over)

I have a 2001 Randy Mamola replica that I still wear everyday. I know I should retire it, but it still looks and fits perfect.

I have an rx7 I wear for roadracing and I just bought an Arai Open Face that I found on Craigslist brand new for $50. Guy bought a bike and gear and a week later his wife made him sell it all.

Not a big open face fan but for $50 how could I pass it up? Still had the tag on.

I highsided at Putnam Park back in 1998 in turn 4 at about 110. According to the guy behind me I landed directly on my head. I don't know because I was knocked unconscious immediately and didn't come to until the ambulance arrived. To this day I say it was the Arai QuantumII that kept me in one piece. Other than the knock-out I was fine...not even a scratch.

And to echo the previous post, my brothers favorite comment, "how much is your head worth?"

I own five different brands of helmets right now including three Arais. Consider the Arais worth the price and won't buy anything else.[/QU

Another Kool Aid drinker that makes the economy better. Try some other less expensive brands. You might be pleasantluy surprised! Scorpian, HJC etc.

Jack

Opinions are rather like Noses, every one has one. Thats why we are not all riding the same M/C and wearing the same Helmut!

Back