• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Bushtec Trailer hitch question

CaptRehkopf

I have been on the fence about buying a trailer for awhile now. I finally decided on the cheapest Bushtec trailer, and to buy it new because the price of the used trailers are about the same dollars. However, I thought last time I looked that Bushtec made a Hitch for my K1200RS, however, I just emailed them and received a reply back that they DON'T make a trailer hitch for my bike! Am I going crazy or they just stopped making them?
Anybody out there with a K1200RS and a Bushtec Hitch?

Greetings
A friend asked me to ask. What happens when the RT is at dead stop and it falls over with a trailer. :cry
What hitch type does the least amount of damage to the bike when the rig is at a dead stop or parked and falls over?
I am only asking for a friend. Not that he is planning or falling over or any thing like that.:brow It is just that he wants to know what would happen if a Bushtec vs uni-go at a dead stop did right sided flop. These are gernally followed by a sharp tap on top of the helmet from shethatknowsbetter.
Thanks Tony

Greetings
A friend asked me to ask. What happens when the RT is at dead stop and it falls over with a trailer. :cry
What hitch type does the least amount of damage to the bike when the rig is at a dead stop or parked and falls over?
I am only asking for a friend. Not that he is planning or falling over or any thing like that.:brow It is just that he wants to know what would happen if a Bushtec vs uni-go at a dead stop did right sided flop. These are gernally followed by a sharp tap on top of the helmet from shethatknowsbetter.
Thanks Tony

The Uni-Go acts like an extension of the bike and the whole rig goes as one (like a Monty Python skit) and if you have a swivel hitch on the Bushtec then the trailer stays in place. I think that the same thing applys for a ball hitch but I'm not sure just how far the tolerance is. - Bob

Based on a discussion about hitches at a rally last summer, I understand that a ball hitch (without swivel) will allow the bike to lean a bit, but only to a limited extent. The implication here is that in a tip-over, you may do damage to the hitch or the bike or, perhaps, both -- depending on the loaded weight of the trailer.

Among BunkHouse owners, the consensus favored a swivel hitch. Understandable, since the battle between a 600 lb bike tipping over and a 500-600 BunkHouse "anchor" wouldn't be pretty!

Again, this is a discussion I listened to among hitch owners; I do not have any personal experience towing with my RT.

FWIW,

I have been on the fence about buying a trailer for awhile now. I finally decided on the cheapest Bushtec trailer, and to buy it new because the price of the used trailers are about the same dollars. However, I thought last time I looked that Bushtec made a Hitch for my K1200RS, however, I just emailed them and received a reply back that they DON'T make a trailer hitch for my bike! Am I going crazy or they just stopped making them?
Anybody out there with a K1200RS and a Bushtec Hitch?

Uni-Go makes (made?) a hitch for the K1200RS, I have one, and use it with a 1 7/8" ball to pull a bunkhouse trailer.
I recall asking Bushtec about a hitch for the RS at Daytona one year and they told me they didn't make a hitch for a "sportbike"!
Oh, and a swivel on the trailer tongue allows the bike to fall without damaging the hitch. It also 'seems' to allow smoother lean transitions.

So, the Uni-Go hitch will be 'suitable' for a Bushtec?

Here is the accessory you have to have to run a Bushtec Trailer with a Unigo hitch,
Then you can mount a swivel locking pin available from Bushtec.

Attachments

• imagesCALIVCAG.jpg
    imagesCALIVCAG.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,083
It appears that the Uni-Go hitch (1998 K1200RS), with a Bushtec swivel mounted 'pin' attachment IS the recommendation, correct?

One more question: does the Uni-Go hitch fit with the BMW's system cases mounted?

Thanks for all the help, now to look for that Bushtec Turbo 2 trailer.
Ride Safe,
Robert

Last edited:
So, the Uni-Go hitch will be 'suitable' for a Bushtec?[/QUOTE

yup. I think that they used to have a Uni-Go hitch at one time. Both Bushtec and Uni-Go are well braced tubular with lots of strength. - Bob

Bob,
What's the latest you've heard about the Uni-Go? Still the 75mph wobble, bearings, etc. Heard that one hit a pot hole and broke the trailer itself?
As we have discussed the Uni-Go is the perfect size but I'm scared of the handling and stuff. I did notice somewhere that they are now saying put 1/3 of the weight on the tongue, that's new, never heard an actual load number before.
Ride Safe,
Robert

It appears that the Uni-Go hitch (1998 K1200RS), with a Bushtec swivel mounted 'pin' attachment IS the recommendation, correct?

One more question: does the Uni-Go hitch fit with the BMW's system cases mounted?

Thanks for all the help, now to look for that Bushtec Turbo 2 trailer.
Ride Safe,
Robert

Yes, it does fit with the system cases.

Back