• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel pump recall??

Don, et al.,

Is anyone considering replacing the OEM quick disconnects with the stainless steel beemerboneyard ones while this service/recall is done or care to comment on this idea?

two birds one stone. Thanks

John

That was my original plan and reason for ordering the QDs.

I would replace the male end of the QD while the tank is off.
I did not replace the female end on our bikes for fear of cracking the flange, plus I have not heard of any failures of the female end.

It's the female end that has been cracking where it screws into the top of the pump flange.

So now the question among those of us who ARE going to get the recall work done is: should I get it done right away, and be one of the 1st that the mechanic has seen, or wait a few months, so he/she has more experience with the fix?

So now the question among those of us who ARE going to get the recall work done is: should I get it done right away, and be one of the 1st that the mechanic has seen, or wait a few months, so he/she has more experience with the fix?

From the pictures I've seen, spotting the cracks in the fuel pump flange should be easy.
If the fuel pump assembly needs to be replaced, I'm guessing this job is not difficult.

If they only add a metal collar to the flange, I know this job is not difficult because I've done it to both of our bikes.

It's the female end that has been cracking where it screws into the top of the pump flange.

The fuel pump flange is cracking not the female half of the QD.

The recall addresses the cracking problem of the fuel pump flange.

Over the years - predating the Hexheads - there have been many reports of plastic QDs failing; that's why many riders change them for metal ones. QD fractures are almost always on the male half of the QD. On my '07 R, a female-half QD is what's screwed into the fuel pump flange.

Don, et al.,

Is anyone considering replacing the OEM quick disconnects with the stainless steel beemerboneyard ones while this service/recall is done or care to comment on this idea?

John
I would think this is a good plan. I replaced all my fittings at once with the BB ones, and added the compression ring to the fuel pump flange at the same time (there were no signs of cracking on the flange, but this has rarely - if ever - been reported on the R1200R, I suspect because of the routing of the fuel line coming out of the flange - it does directly to a solid mounted fuel filter.)

When I installed the female fitting into the flange, I first used the sealant (a semi-liquid) that BB provided with the parts. I checked for leaks before solidly remounting the tank on the bike, and sure enough I had a weeping around the flange threads. I removed it and used Teflon tape - a very thin layer - on the fitting, reinstalled it - snugged it up (not terribly tight at all) and no more leaks.

It has been disassembled a few times since I did this for new fuel strips - and no problems at all.

At a minimum, I would want to replace ALL the male fittings - they've been known to break off the male end (ouch!).. I have also heard of a few fittings which broke on the barbed part that goes into the rubber hoses - so there is a case to be made for replacing both male and female. BMW now offers a metal male end for the fittings as a replacement part, so apparently they've actually seen a bit of light. Too bad the recall didn't include replacing those at the same time.

I have also heard of a few fittings which broke on the barbed part that goes into the rubber hoses - so there is a case to be made for replacing both male and female.

Yep, on our K1200RSs both the male and female QD had a barb that slippied into the fuel line. In this case I replaced both the male and female QDs with metal BB QDs..

These would be the ones, correct?
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscr12r.html

Thanks

They are if you have a R1200R.

I see the R has a lot more plumbing than the K.

Kit for a R1200R
yhst-15102260216258_2272_443669014.jpg

Kit for a K1300S. BTW, the piece I did not replace was the Tankside discconnect.
IMG_3287m1.JPG

I wrote to BMW Canada to make sure they had all my info but according to them there is no recall on my bike...

Thank you for contacting BMW Canada. I have update the ownership of your bike to reflect your name and all of your contact information. If there are any recalls in the future we will notify you directly. At this point there are no open recalls on your bike.

I wrote back mentioning the Transport Canada document.
I'm waiting for their answer.

Here's the latest reply from BMW Canada

Thank you again for contacting BMW Canada. All recalls are VIN specific, and there are no open recalls on your specific bike. There could be recalls on other similar year and model bikes, but that recall does not affect your VIN. If something changes and a new recall opens on your VIN, we will send you a letter.

It looks like the recall doesn't affect every bike mentioned in the document even though the model and year is listed...

Don, et al.,

John

This will be part of the spring service on my bike. I had the BB ring installed last year, but my indie didn't have the QD's in stock.

recall notice received today: April 3 (09 RT)

in the body of the letter:
"Description of Repair

The fuel pump will be inspected.

If no leaks are present, cracks in the flange are small, and the flange diameter has not exceeded a certain measurement, then a reinforcing ring will be installed on the flange neck to prevent the possibility of future leakage. After this action is completed, your fuel pump wil be equivalent to current production.

If leaks are present, if cracks in the flange extend to the bottom of the flange, or if the flange diameter has exceeded a certain measurement, then the fuel pump will be replaced with the current production design which includes the reinforcing ring."

Goes on to estimate repair time as up to 2 hours.

Coming soon to a mailbox near you!

My letter states, "Please note that at the present time we do not yet have parts to conduct this Recall; however, we will notify you via First Class mail as soon as parts become available. At that time, you should make an appointment with your authorized BMW motorcycle dealer in order to have this Recall performed on your motorcycle." Now waiting for second letter.

My letter states, "Please note that at the present time we do not yet have parts to conduct this Recall; however, we will notify you via First Class mail as soon as parts become available. At that time, you should make an appointment with your authorized BMW motorcycle dealer in order to have this Recall performed on your motorcycle." Now waiting for second letter.

Got mine yesterday said same thing.

Back