• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 Rally- Sedalia, MO

I did call, they were well aware of the rally and were almost booked. It is the Econolodge, no room blocks but if anyone else is looking for a room they better act fast.

we have two board members that have been commenting in this thread as they see fit. when asked to comment on the alleged actions about some motel rooms they become silent and the old school members defend them with statements like the one i quoted above. i'm sorry but you can't have it both ways, if you do not want to discuss club business on the forums then don't, but don't make comments one min and then use the silent approach because "we don't' discuss cub business on the forums" the next.

as a relatively new member to the MOA it is my understanding that the club is seeking ways to attract new members. you can't have new members come in and expect everything to be status quo. new members mean changes, whether that is when the rally is held or how the board conducts business, but change is inevitable.

some (perhaps many) may think i am a royal PIA with my posts but i assure you if i did not care so much about this organization i would not be posting and questioning things the way i do. i want to see the MOA grow and prosper in the coming years and, perhaps to the dismay of many, that means i post on issues i feel are important. you don't have to agree with me but at least be open to holding an intelligent conversation on topics that to many members, myself included, are important.

It is not an issue of 'having it both ways' rather the forums rules of engagement.

In any thread we post as individual peers. Some are members, some are guests and some are members who happen to hold an office within the association; however, we all post as peers.

A forum poster/officer may bring information to a post for clarification or conformation of an issue being discussed but that information is normally part of the public record of the organization that may have been overlooked, forgotten or unknown to the posters in a thread. If just for those times they are a welcome asset to any forum thread.

When it becomes confusing is when these peers are asked to respond to a question or situation where to do so may appear to be making a statement for the BoD or the BMW MOA. They can not do that; remember under the rules of engagement they post as individuals not as a BoD or the BMW MOA.

The questions about the motel rooms may fall into a gray area for many; however, there is an online place where this and other questions may be asked - the regular Board of Directors meeting. There is question and answer period open to the membership. This is where some of the questions raised in threads need to be asked. The BoD may ask for time to investigate before responding. If you want specific answers or rulings for the BoD or an officer that is the place to put it on the record and hold people accountable not the forum.

FWIW - I have often been viewed as a PITA by various people on the forum and elsewhere. Effectiveness of it all depends on how you do it.

something went wrong, can happen

It is just wrong to discuss mishaps here, the whole organization is based on volunteers, just give them some credit here.

They all work with the right intention to make it happen people should keep that in mind.

I sometimes wonder, are we all working in places where everything runs smooth?

Salute to all those volunteers.

Tent IT:), yes;

The early rallies i went to, almost nobody motel'd it:). I'm older, the board is older, just everybody is older now and this motel thing is upon us! Why don't we just set a rally site for the "old days", tenting it all over again for everybody. Self sufficient RVs welcome:). I love my tent still, even if Bloomsburg heat made it interesting. Go North my friends:). Redmond was NICE cool nights:). Mo. is a likely repeat of PA for weather, July and all. Makes me think this early, of not going, but I do change my mind a lot. Tent is in my blood, regardless of temps. and I like cool nights, so! Sure miss my favorite passtime, if I decide no go to Mo., but that sure seems a no brainer for Summertime. A very nice area, like PA was, but HOT may chase even more away, imo. Randy:thumb

The early rallies i went to, almost nobody motel'd it:). I'm older, the board is older, just everybody is older now and this motel thing is upon us! Why don't we just set a rally site for the "old days", tenting it all over again for everybody. Self sufficient RVs welcome:). I love my tent still, even if Bloomsburg heat made it interesting. Go North my friends:). Redmond was NICE cool nights:). Mo. is a likely repeat of PA for weather, July and all. Makes me think this early, of not going, but I do change my mind a lot. Tent is in my blood, regardless of temps. and I like cool nights, so! Sure miss my favorite passtime, if I decide no go to Mo., but that sure seems a no brainer for Summertime. A very nice area, like PA was, but HOT may chase even more away, imo. Randy:thumb

Well, if you want to have some exciting times here on the forum as winter sets in, just announce an MOA rally with no hotels. You can if you want - but not me. :hide

Also, I'd suggest that second guessing the weather anywhere almost a year out is a fool's errand. Bloomsburg was in the 80's both the week before and the week after our rally this year, but anywhere east of the Mississippi during rally week would have been very hot. Yes, Redmond was nice and comfortable, but Spokane is further north than Redmond by about 300 miles and was considered a hot rally. It was over 100 degrees during the Fourth of July when the RA had their rally this year in central Wisconsin. If it were so easy to pick a place and a date and get guaranteed weather...but it's not. This is an outdoor sport, after all. Just sayin' :brow

Who would have thought that a few years following the Grateful Dead would come in so handy.

The National Rally is what you make of it. The fact that it's amateur run is pretty amazing, plus it moves around every year.

With only a few exceptions every rally I've been to has had a weather event that defined the rally. In Charleston it was the micro burst that took down the beer tent, Lima was a near tornado, Spokane was hot, Bloomsburg was hot. Of course Vermont was perfect!

Right about now I start casting about for next season's plans and destinations. The National always gets top billing regardless of location, climate and such. Part of the fun of planning is preparing for the unknown.

In 04 I had a parawing sent to the rally as I decide I always had to be guaranteed shade. Now I get a room and split it with a few buddies but still plan on camping. Sometimes it's an expensive shower and other times (Bloomsburg) it's a life saver for a bunch of people.

Bottom line is the National is the closest thing to Woodstock many of our members will ever experience while for some of us that have been "on tour" the National is four star camping. Your ewww is our "whatever."

Moving the event or changing dates will not change this.

Bottom line is the National is the closest thing to Woodstock many of our members will ever experience while for some of us that have been "on tour" the National is four star camping.

Funny you should draw a comparison to Woodstock because that is what we experienced! Whenever I think of the fairgrounds at Sedalia it brings back memories of July 1974, that was the last time we camped there. IIRC, it was 100?? all three days. For those that are unfamiliar with what happened back then I'll post a couple of links for a history lesson. At the time we were living only about 40 miles from Sedalia and it sounded like a fun thing to do.

Click Here and Click Here

Warning!! You may very well run across some mild nudity within the links posted. I thought I should mention that. I shot a few rolls of 35mm film myself.

If I make it to Sedalia next year, I'm afraid that I would feel like I was walking on hallowed ground. The information supplied on the web pages does not do what happened there justice. If I was to walk through the "tunnel" again, I would probably have a flashback.

Wow! Those pictures of the Ozark Mountain Music Festival take me back to the old "truckin'' days when I used to travel around the country for weekend custom van gatherings. Now there was some real nudity, a little beer, and a litllte more beer, and a little more beer.... Anyway, here I am in central Illinois, right near the next big MOA gathering, and I'm not likely to attend. Why? Because I will be on my trip to Prudhoe Bay. Oh well, you can bet I won't have any heat issues. But if I can just leave on my trip a bit earlier, you can bet I will try to make it to the rally.

As soon as the Sedalia location was announced in Bloomsburg I got on the internet and looked at what hotels were located in Sedalia. I picked a small mom and pop and booked a room. I actually had to wait a day because the booking calendar only goes forward 365 days and I was a day earlier than that. I got an email back confirming the reservation, which is of course saved for when I get there.

We're tentatively planning to attend and will haul the bikes out behind our camper. From there we'll haul on to San Antonio to spend a week with friends. Sounds like the MSF grounds have PLENTY of camper sites with hookups. I'll be running the A/C all weekend providing relief for those around us.

Maybe:)

Well, I can and maybe will retire when it gets here next Summer, giving me time to ride even more miles, MO. too. Wonder what rate the average age is growing UPwards and motels will not be in abundance for this org.? I'm in that group, of course, still tenting strong:). Someday maybe, NYC/Philly or the like, plenty of rooms, pay to park! I'm just funn'in, so don't look so abused folks:)...Where'd we be without the "Forum":), probably riding more...Randy:thumb:usa

Looking forward to working and hanging out with all our BMW friends. Whatever we encounter will be a memory.
:wave

Looking forward to working and hanging out with all our BMW friends. Whatever we encounter will be a memory.
:wave

We'd like to make the rally, too. Our first- but no luck finding rooms, yet. Smoking rooms- yes, but that won't work for us.:dunno

Mr.Happy:)

He rides with me everywhere on the back of GSA:). Sometimes, I let him up front behind the windscreen and he stays cleaner, not needing a bath every night. Mr.Happy ditto:). He votes for tents:) Randy:thumb

Good call, looking forward to a wonderful rally!

Don't need more critics, thanks.

Our hard working volunteers deserve better than this year, and they will get it in Missouri.

We do need more air conditioning. Sedalia has that and more. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the facilities.

We'll miss you, but we'll be there with bells on for our annual family reunion.

Voni AND Paul
sMiling

+1

Good call, looking forward to a wonderful rally!

Looks like i'am going

I've been to Trenton, Charlston, Spokane and Wisconsin, and Lima Rallys. Then, bad back set in when I was on my way to Tennessee. Downsized from a 1150 GS to R1200R, and now a G650GS so as to be able to keep riding. I used to live in Sedalia and it is a great town and there are some great riding around the lakes. This may be my last rally and I may not be able to ride by July, but I am going! I won't be able to camp so I checked Travelociy. There are some rooms available at the Super 7. Se my post on this. Also, for active and retired military, Whiteman AFB has several rooms for travelers.

Last edited:
Cancelled reservation at Sedalia MO

Room has been taken.

I cancelled my reservations today 1/10/12 at

AMERICAN INN SEDALIA
1217 South Limit, Sedalia, MO 65301
Phone: 1-660-826-2488

I know nothing about this motel, except it just across the street from the fair grounds.

my reservation was for a double non-smoking.

Last edited:
Bad Reviews

I cancelled my reservations today 1/10/12 at

AMERICAN INN SEDALIA
1217 South Limit, Sedalia, MO 65301
Phone: 1-660-826-2488

I know nothing about this motel, except it just across the street from the fair grounds.

my reservation was for a double non-smoking.

I have a room at that motel. It has horrible reviews, which I did not know about. I usually camp, and figured I would reserve a room in case a Monsoon or withering Heat Wave comes along.

There is probably not another room within 25 miles of the rally. I point out the reviews so that anyone interested has all the facts. I also urge any one interested to call the motel directly and then to use the various travel sites to try for a cheaper price. A check of Priceline showed this property for $85 yesterday.

Right now the Super 8 is $68 and the American is only $45.

Sounds like the right time to reserve one of them!

I'll never pre-register or get a motel room for another rally specially in a place like Sedalia, MO in the middle of the summer. I did last year and regretted it. Nothing is worth riding in 100 degree temperatures IMHO. As a side note: for the ones who's going to counter as "you can't predict the weather, etc..." I'm ready to take bets....

Back