• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Women writers from a mans point of view.

Bud

It is what it is.
I enjoy reading books written by women. Because men and women often see the world divergent views, it helps to take a look at things from a different perspective.

I recently re-read Spirited Waters - Soloing Through the Inside Passage by Jennifer Hahn.

I would like to hear from women about what books they recently read.

Do you think the gender of the author makes a difference?

Last edited:
SIBUD, Love that book. She lives just north of me, great lady!! We had her speak at one of our kayak meetings a few years ago.

Try ÔÇ£The Perfect VehicleÔÇØ by Melissa Holbrook Pierson ÔÇô a paean to motorcycles and motorcycling.

And for adventure touring, try ÔÇ£Lois on the LooseÔÇØ by Lois Pryce.

I found both much better than what most men write. :whistle

- Kate

I know that you are looking for suggestions from women Bud but I would like to suggest (based on my own reading and endorsement of this author by many women) reading anything at all by Margaret Atwood. - Bob

Try ÔÇ£The Perfect VehicleÔÇØ by Melissa Holbrook Pierson ÔÇô a paean to motorcycles and motorcycling.

And for adventure touring, try ÔÇ£Lois on the LooseÔÇØ by Lois Pryce.

I found both much better than what most men write. :whistle

- Kate

and yet your sig line has a qoute from a (shudder) man......

:hide
^ ^
^ ^
^ ^
( !!!!just kidding!!!!!)

But to answer the question posed, yes in many types of writing gender affects the writers point of view/style/etc.....

That should pretty much be a no-brainer kind of question, just as anything that influences a persons perspective/emotions/interests would, be it genetic, ethnic, environmental, social.... each of us is the sum total of all those influences and that is what makes each of us unique and at the same time binds us into social networks of shared experiences.

Now in purely scientific writing, probably not so much nor should it since in the pursuit of scientific truths personal bias/influences can distort the perception and lead to false conclutions.

RM

and yet your sig line has a qoute from a (shudder) man......

Actually, George Eliot was a woman. That was her pen name, since at the time it was thought women didn't know how to write good.

Otherwise, I agree with Rocketman. Other than scientific or technical writing, we write from our experience through life. Location, culture, gender, age, etc. all play a part. I have enjoyed the writings of many male authors, but often female authers speak to me on a different level.

And I'd like to second the recommendation for Margaret Atwood. I didn't care too much for her early writing, and some her later stuff is a little too strange for me, but she can (and did) write beautifully.

- Kate

Last edited:
Actually, George Eliot was a woman. That was her pen name, since at the time it was thought women didn't know how to write good.

Otherwise, I agree with Rocketman. Other than scientific or technical writing, we write from our experience through life. Location, culture, gender, age, etc. all play a part. I have enjoyed the writings of many male authors, but often female authers speak to me on a different level.

And I'd like to second the recommendation for Margaret Atwood. I didn't care too much for her early writing, and some her later stuff is a little too strange for me, but she can (and did) write beautifully.

- Kate

Ha Ha! should have figured..... :laugh

now excuse me while I go pull my foot out of my mouth... :banghead

RM

Back