• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does this airhead make me an airhead?

I suspect this thread will be going for awhile...

Great writing, lonelobo, informative and entertaining.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.

Keep us updated! This is going to be a labor of love, for sure. Be sure and get vanity plates that read: RNEGADE

That's what I'm here for.

Wow, that really does make me feel better about my not ready for judging bike.

Thanks for the posts!

Success is making someone else feel better about their obsession...while secretly planning to take over the universe or make your bike run, whichever comes first.

A few rules may be necessary

OK, I am truly grateful for all the early replies but feel I need to set some ground rules. Statements like:

"You have a lot of work ahead of you...hope you're retired"
"Boy, are you in for a sh$tload of agony"
"What the H#LL were you thinking, you FRI$$IN IDGIT"
"What did you expect, for someone here to bail you out of your ignorance?"
"I did that once....never again"

may not be exactly the kind of encouragement that a sensitive sort, such as myself will find useful. Remember, I am trying to stay OUT of the state hospital!

However, the exception to the above rule may be violated at will if you will include at least one bit of useful mechanical advice. Such as:

"Find someone who can dip the entire thing for fleas"

"Many restorations start with aluminum foil decoupage of the tank. Go to www.funthingstodowithaluminumfoil.com for more info."

"All that oil doesn't belong where the photo shows it." You might want to check your checkbook first, then open up the wallet area of your pants and start emptying it of everything green".

You know, specific comments about what the pictures show and where I should start. I am well equipped with tools, having the best set of wrench's the Serbo-Croation coalition ever produced and lots of Q-tips as well. So let's get started slingin mud.

A starting point

In acknowledgment that I have some responsibility in this, I will begin by asking if anyone knows of any web based source for resurrecting an old engine? Step by step guide to bringing an engine back to life would be great. I had found a site (forum I believe) that had a great dialog between a couple of guys rebuilding similar bikes along with their notes and a lot of help from other forum members, but I have been looking for it since the Beast entered and Now I can't find it to save my or Renegade's life.

First step is getting the engine going but I don't want to strart cranking w/starter motor. I'm used to kick starters where you can actually get a feel for compression, etc. I will need to check compression but before that need to just turn the engine over slowly and gently. Please advise best way. I know I can turn the rear wheel but for a one man band that is a bit awkward. TIA for any advice.

Yes, I have a manual.

Just thought I'd throw out the fact that I DO have a Clymer manual that came with the bike but sometimes don't know where to find the information I need. For example, I would love to see a real picture of the starter relay. Yes, I can read a schematic...but barely...and the schematics never include geographical information. I may not be a Hillbilly, but that doesn't mean I'm not ignorant.

Well, we use an allen wrench in the alternator to turn the engine (with plugs out) to set static timing. Clockwise.

OK, I am truly grateful for all the early replies but feel I need to set some ground rules. Statements like:

"You have a lot of work ahead of you...hope you're retired"
"Boy, are you in for a sh$tload of agony"
"What the H#LL were you thinking, you FRI$$IN IDGIT"
"What did you expect, for someone here to bail you out of your ignorance?"
"I did that once....never again"

may not be exactly the kind of encouragement that a sensitive sort, such as myself will find useful. Remember, I am trying to stay OUT of the state hospital!

However, the exception to the above rule may be violated at will if you will include at least one bit of useful mechanical advice. Such as:

"Find someone who can dip the entire thing for fleas"

"Many restorations start with aluminum foil decoupage of the tank. Go to www.funthingstodowithaluminumfoil.com for more info."

"All that oil doesn't belong where the photo shows it." You might want to check your checkbook first, then open up the wallet area of your pants and start emptying it of everything green".

You know, specific comments about what the pictures show and where I should start. I am well equipped with tools, having the best set of wrench's the Serbo-Croation coalition ever produced and lots of Q-tips as well. So let's get started slingin mud.

Have no fear that I would make ANY of the above remarks, in fact I see absolutely noting wrong with the bike (other than some parts seem to have been mysteriously removed, but perhaps that was to take pictures?) I say stop wasting your time (and ours) taking pictures of it and just put it back to together as you found it and then ride the damn thing! :laugh

RM

Just thought I'd throw out the fact that I DO have a Clymer manual that came with the bike but sometimes don't know where to find the information I need. For example, I would love to see a real picture of the starter relay. Yes, I can read a schematic...but barely...and the schematics never include geographical information. I may not be a Hillbilly, but that doesn't mean I'm not ignorant.

This oughta give you an idea of the layout of a few things. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/MainDiagrams.asp?mospid=47882

And I've got the same sickness as you. To me, it looks awesome. Wish I could lend a hand. I've brought 2, well, 4, no, 5 bikes back from similar condition.

Keep the pics coming.

After seeing these great pics and story I have a strange craving for tearing apart another bike. I'd love to pull that whole bike apart. Thanks for a great posting so far.

You will notice to your left that there is only half a rear fender. Anyone have a clue how this happens?
[/IMG]

I know this one!!!
I bet somebody was having difficulty getting the rear wheel off, it is a tight fit, and somebody fixed that problem.

That will buff right out

Well no not really

I think the allen wrench welded to the center stand is the correct size for the oil drain plug. Better check your took kit and see if it is missing. :stick :stick :stick

WOW- you are one brave (new-to-you) BMW owner.

When I looked at those first pictures, an image of a toothless, banjo-playing kid comes to mind. (I, too, do like the "Renegade" fairing and the soldering iron initials)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, think there is any corrosion in the electrical connectors? :rolleyes

I think the allen wrench welded to the center stand is the correct size for the oil drain plug. Better check your took kit and see if it is missing.

Bubba probably welded it there so's he could remember what it was for. Alls you gotta do is unweld it when you want it. :huh

Halfway through this thread, I was already thinkin', "Who the hell cares whether this bike is even a BMW? You are airhead material!" :thumb

Some thoughts and some questions and yes, some more pix

Thanks for the MaxBMW link. I found it just yesterday myself.

A thought:

Is there any way the rear wheel can be so far off center and the shocks so dead that the rear fender got gradually eaten away by being banged by the tire repeatedly?

Here's a relay hard question. Question to follow pix
Renegade_085.jpg

This is the relay that Bubba had pulled out so he could wiggle it.
Renegade_086.jpg

Here's the deal. The Relay socket is shot. Lugs pull out from the back too easy, plastic between lugs is mysteriously torn up as if by a small screwdriver (see HZE) so that the wires touch INSIDE the connector.

I have found the Bosch 5 Pin connector online but it always has cables already installed and the guage at biggest 14ga. so I'm wondering where to source a heavy duty version of the connector that I can get the heavier guage wire inserted into. I can't seem to find the connector separate from the harness in anyone's inventory on the web. Here is a link to one of the lightweight versions I have found.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=330-075

The relay itself looks like a MR76, fairly common.

I say stop wasting your time (and ours) taking pictures of it and just put it back to together as you found it and then ride the damn thing! :laugh

RM

Hey Rocketman,
I can certainly appreciate the sentiment, having been a rat bike owner in the past. You haven't been a biker till you've ridden with plastic army men battling all over your ride, complete with artillery and steel wool explosions.

Then again, at my age I can't physically afford to total any more bikes. 2 road bikes in my youth(relative) is enough. Suspension and brakes on this one gotta be gone over.

Pix are already taken, pouring cats and dogs outside where the Renegade is tarped up and I have all the time in the world to waste at the moment.

Plus, it's my good German upbringing that forces me to become anal in this phase of life. Used to like clean women and dirty bikes...now it's reversed.;)

After seeing these great pics and story I have a strange craving for tearing apart another bike. I'd love to pull that whole bike apart. Thanks for a great posting so far.

Let me know in advance where you are so I can keep my distance should we ever attend the same event, I prefer my airhead remains in ONE piece! :laugh

RM

Hey Rocketman,
I can certainly appreciate the sentiment, having been a rat bike owner in the past. You haven't been a biker till you've ridden with plastic army men battling all over your ride, complete with artillery and steel wool explosions.

Then again, at my age I can't physically afford to total any more bikes. 2 road bikes in my youth(relative) is enough. Suspension and brakes on this one gotta be gone over.

Pix are already taken, pouring cats and dogs outside where the Renegade is tarped up and I have all the time in the world to waste at the moment.

Plus, it's my good German upbringing that forces me to become anal in this phase of life. Used to like clean women and dirty bikes...now it's reversed.;)

picky picky picky...

:laugh :laugh

RM

For the Record

May it please the court to know that the defense does not wish to rest and so has ordered the following parts to be used in bolstering and badgering the witness, who shall be known as RENEGADE.....there, I said it again.

-Used rear fender

-front fork rebuild kit

-fuel filters

-spark plug wires

-right handle bar switch assembly (I buggered this one as the handlebars were loose((unbeknownst to me)) and my strappage snapped it like a chicken neck in a tornado when the bars gave way to forces beyond my intellectual control while towing.

-looking for the relay connector at the moment, got the relay

-got all the fluids I need (for the motorcycle at least)

Once I determine that the engine will run, I will need rear shocks, stainless braided front brake lines, and about 713 other items, including tires.

Front brake lines from "BMW" sources seem to be astronomically high. Anyone had any luck using an off market hose manufacturer?

-Used rear fender
-front fork rebuild kit
-fuel filters
-spark plug wires
-right handle bar switch assembly
-looking for the relay connector at the moment, got the relay
-got all the fluids I need (for the motorcycle at least)

Judging by the looks of things, I'd say you'll also need:
-master cylinder rebuild kit
-fuel line (duh)
-battery
-carb rebuild kits/floats(?)
-new petcocks(?)
-2 caliper rebuild kits(?) (dual disc breaks)

and if you plan on going naked (which you should :stick ):
-front turn signal wiring harness
-the alloy turn signals (not the black plastic ones)
-headlight wiring harness
-chrome ring/lens/springs/reflector/bulbs

I'd hold off on the cosmetics until you get a good runner. Even after that, make it safe and street legal before dumping money into shining it up.

Let's see a pic of that hitch deal, too.

Sorry, I LOVE this stuff.

:buds

Back