• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How do you ride a K75S?

;) I have another silly question. I have always ridden boxers. I just purchased a 1994 K75S and I think I may be babying it a little to much. Should I be winding it out a bit more through the gears? More like 5000 rpm before shifting? Also it seems slow off the line. I guess that's the way they are? Until you get them up to speed? It's all new to me any suggestions would be appreacited. Thanks sincerely.:blush

How to ride K75s

Ride it like you want.
These are only my opinions.
I used one for a decade to see if I liked it. I kept it for another decade because I did like it. I'm starting on the third decade now.
"S" models are really just Standard K75's w/ sport suspension and a sport fairing, plus short bars (that I like).
K75's are really just like "two wheeled touring cars". Smooth seems to work best. You can hustle a touring car but it is still a touring car.
To me, most constant throttle below 4,000 rpm is lugging and interstate likes 5,000 to 5,500 rpm where it seems to be in equilibrium between pushing as well as pulling.
These engines are really sweet. These models are one nice unit (bike and engine). If you keep it long enough, it will morph into two units (bike and engine) and one day you will be taking your engine for a ride on your bike. Charlie

Match the revs and preload the shifter. That applies , for me, for all gears except going up from 1st to 2nd - for that my bike likes a little descending tach starting at 3500rpm to make it smoother.

Have you resolved the surging problem yet?

Where in California do you live?

:dance:dance:dance

K75's are really flexible engines. Happy loafing around at 3-4000 rpm and they really liven up above 5000. Ride it as your mood suites you, you can't break it!

K75's are really flexible engines. Happy loafing around at 3-4000 rpm and they really liven up above 5000. Ride it as your mood suites you, you can't break it!

The K75makes 90% of peak torque well before 3,000 rpm. So loafing is a possibility. But the motor is happiest between 4500 and 6500 and the bike is basically geared for it. Also, at most speeds except fast highway and Interstate speeds the bike is usually quite happy in any of three gears - the optimum one and one up or one down.

They are a true joy to ride in the twisties from a gearing/shifting standpoint. Pick the happiest gear and roll on and roll off as needed. Very little shifting needed. At those speeds its happy in two - 5th or 4th.

I Really appreciate the input. I guess what I get out of the suggestions is ride it easy ride it hard the 75 can take it. As far as the surging problem I fixed it with the help of a Beemer buddy who is familiar with the bike. we lifted the tank and the breather hose was kinked. The number one plug was fouled. So changing the plugs made a world of difference. Now it runs like it's off the Show Room Floor. I think I'm going to really love this bike. Thanks again everyone. Sincerely Ted from Fresno :wave

fwiw- riding/shifting your airhead at higher revs (shifts above 5K, riding at/above 3500K) is also a very good strategy. motor runs better, tranny shifts more smoothly.

This is macho bs and nothing more.

So you would suggest NOT using the optimum power band?:scratch

The K's max torque doesn't arrive until 6750rpm. The horsepower max is at 8500 rpm. You can ride it at any rpm you like, but it really comes alive and likes to play above 5000.

There is no need to over compensate macho bs with curmudgenly cr*p.

:dance:dance:dance

Back