• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Considering a 2001 K1200rs

weeman

Hello all!
I'm looking at a 53k 01 K12rs for purchase and wanted some pros/con feedback from anyone that's experienced this bike. The only negative thing I can see is that according to the owner it has been dropped a few times due to a narrow center stand. What's up with that? It also has been painted from blue to black.
Thanks everyone for feedback it's much appreciated! Forgot to mention...he wants 2500. for it.

There are a large number of recent threads asking this same question (see: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70997-2003-K1200RS-Questions), so a quick search will turn up lots of threads with lots of discussion. With regard to the centerstand, in 132,000 miles and 14 years, mine has fallen from the center stand only once...when I backed into it with my trailer. I would venture to say this may be an 'excuse' for having dropped it at stop signs or when attempting to put it on the stand when not really focused on the task at hand? All Ks are a tad top heavy, so maybe I need to cut him some slack, but seriously, in over 250,000 miles of RS models (they are all essentially the same in this regard) I have never dropped it or had it fall over from the centerstand. Others may have different experiences. These bikes are a dream to ride.

There are a large number of recent threads asking this same question (see: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70997-2003-K1200RS-Questions), so a quick search will turn up lots of threads with lots of discussion. With regard to the centerstand, in 132,000 miles and 14 years, mine has fallen from the center stand only once...when I backed into it with my trailer. I would venture to say this may be an 'excuse' for having dropped it at stop signs or when attempting to put it on the stand when not really focused on the task at hand? All Ks are a tad top heavy, so maybe I need to cut him some slack, but seriously, in over 250,000 miles of RS models (they are all essentially the same in this regard) I have never dropped it or had it fall over from the centerstand. Others may have different experiences. These bikes are a dream to ride.
I saw that link but didn't think they are all completely the same due to year to year differences or qwirks such as my 95 r1100rsl inherent surge issues.
Thanks for your input.....though I did think he's using the excuse of the narrowed stand for dropping it too often.

it has been dropped a few times due to a narrow center stand. What's up with that? .

That's a new one.
Has the bike been dropped after the repaint? $2,500 is a good buy if the paint is in good shape.

I saw that link but didn't think they are all completely the same due to year to year differences or qwirks such as my 95 r1100rsl inherent surge issues.

In 2002 the nose of the fairing was restyled and was made larger.
Cruise control added in 2002.
Servo brakes added in 2002.

I can't think of any big changes in the 98 to 2001 years. The bars and pegs may have been changed in 2001:dunno

Well, I checked out the bike and was able to move the price lower down from 2800.00 to 2000. due to the fact that it was painted flat black from blue. It has 53k mi. on it with new tires, tune up and fluids......any thoughts?
Thanks for the expert bike specific info.

Check the rear wheel bearing, aren't they due for replacement around 50K?

Both my wife and I had close to 90,000 miles when we traded in our 2003 K1200RSs and never replaced a rear wheel bearing on either bike. On my bike I did have the pivot bearing adjusted the last year I owned the bike.

+1 for grab it for $2K. However, expect to spend some bucks to get the "tupperware" re-painted ("rattle can" paint jobs are, IMHO, seriously lame for the K1200RS - this isn't a hooligan bike), expect to spend some bucks to get things up to spec (brake pads, tires, possibly shocks). Also, replace all of the fluids: oil, coolant, and brakes.

BUT...before you go anywhere, replace the fuel line disconnects near the tank. Specifically, BMW used plastic quick disconnects to allow removing the gas tank (lots of stuff under the tank including the air filter). The bad news is they fail, with the male connector breaking apart. The good news is there are metal replacements (see the folks at BMW Boneyard or Pirate's Lair). There is the possibility that the PO had the plastic units replaced during a factory recall, but many K1200RS owners missed the recall.

One of the two disconnects can be seen if you look through the hole, on the right or brake side. Look above the engine sump, and you should see the disconnect. If it's silver, life is good, if it's white, it's time to pull the tupperware, pull the tank, and replace those rascals.

So, realistically, you'll probably put another $1K into all of the work (best bet is to have a BMW dealer do the job - the ABS, in particular, is not a place for DIY), making this a $3K bike. Which I'd still call a good deal.

ADDED: About the narrow side stand thing - I'm not so sure the stand's all that narrow. I'd check to be sure the front subframe (holds the headlight, windshield, and gauges) is reasonably straight and not kicked to one side. This part can be found at breaker yards (e.g., BMW Boneyard), and it's not hard to replace, but better to not have to do the job. Assuming the side bags were on when the bike tipped, they can be salvaged; replacing them could be spendy so, if they're cracked up or missing, I'd look into alternatives from Aereostich, etc.

Last edited:
K1200rs

Hello all!
I'm looking at a 53k 01 K12rs for purchase and wanted some pros/con feedback from anyone that's experienced this bike. The only negative thing I can see is that according to the owner it has been dropped a few times due to a narrow center stand. What's up with that? It also has been painted from blue to black.
Thanks everyone for feedback it's much appreciated! Forgot to mention...he wants 2500. for it.

I had a 2002, loved the power, cruise control, looks, power brakes, ABS kept me from hitting a steer,
but i HATED the forward leaning riding position, like a race bike, very tiring; OK for kids but not for us old guys. Oh Yeah, I got 3 speeding tickits cause it's so easy to hit warp speed.;)

There is a 2001 K1200RS that a neighbor has been hoarding for years. It has 24,000 miles and was last registered in 2009. From appearances it looks perfect. He is thinking $5000 for the selling price. That is about a grand higher than I want to spend.

I would expect to acquire new tires and replace all the fluids. What is the likelihood that the injectors are all gummed up with fuel varnish? I have heard about final drive and rear main seal issues. what other issue might be lurking after the long sit? I don't think it was put away with the intent of long term storage.

According to Kelly Blue Book, the asking price is about $500 above current retail at a Portland area dealer (who has to factor in any prep or repairs before sales and any warranty after sales). As you said, you want to replace the fluids and tires, which adds to your final cost (which you have to consider but can't pass on to the seller). If the tires don't show signs of cracking from ozone damage (AKA "dry rot"), the tread is 3/32" or more, and the tread doesn't look too bad (expect some cupping and flattening) I'd let that go. Past that, all you need to know is above.

Remember, anything is worth exactly what you want to pay for it and not what the seller wants. Farkles (tank bag, added lights, etc.) have minimal impact on the price, although sellers usually and mistakenly think they add materially to the price. Good luck with the chase!

There is a 2001 K1200RS that a neighbor has been hoarding for years. It has 24,000 miles and was last registered in 2009.

Be VERY careful buying any vehicle that is not currently registered!

Laws will vary from state to state. Here in California, a vehicle MUST be put in official Planned Non-Operation (a one time $15 fee) if it is not going to be registered. If it has not been put in PNO, when you go to reregister it, ALL back registration is due PLUS penalties of several hundred dollars PER YEAR.

I once bought a wrecked K75S for $900. It had been stored under a tarp at his parents ranch since the wreck and not registered or PNO for the three years since the wreck. When I went to transfer ownership, DMV wanted over $1200 in back registration and penalties.

Check with your state's DMV BEFORE considering buying any non registered vehicle. Laws vary AND change!

:dance:dance:dance

Um, Oregon is not California, although I'm told you can see California from Oregon...

Aside from having a quick chat with DMV ("I know this guy who..." is a good way to start [/grin]) to be sure there are no licensing or title transfer problems, I wouldn't sweat the issue. Now, if the title is fuzzy... walk away. Soonest.

I love my K12RS!
I'm even a BIT of an "old guy" (at 57) and don't mind so much the riding position... Then again, I also own. K100RS, and an R100RS.
Mine has risers to bring the bars up and back a bit.
I, too, love the cruise control- I use it quite nearly all the time. Biggest trip I've done on my K12 was about 3K miles- fully loaded, 2 up. If I had to describe the bike in very few words, those few would be comfy, fast, and capable.

Um, Oregon is not California, although I'm told you can see California from Oregon...

Aside from having a quick chat with DMV ("I know this guy who..." is a good way to start [/grin]) to be sure there are no licensing or title transfer problems, I wouldn't sweat the issue. Now, if the title is fuzzy... walk away. Soonest.

I see that since you live in PA, you MUST be an expert on Oregon law.

If you actually READ my post, you would note that I said: "Laws will vary from state to state." And:"Check with your states DMV BEFORE considering buying any non registered vehicle. Laws vary AND change!"

I stand by that advice no matter where you live (even PA)! Laws change!

Making a legally binding contract (purchase) based on the forum advice of someone, from the opposite side of the country, to not "sweat the issue" could POSSIBLY not end well.:dunno

Then again, Oregon might have copied PA law. The important thing is be SURE, BEFORE you buy.

:dance:dance:dance

Back